Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mexican Food

The best tacos around in my opinion is Mexico Way in Ecorse. They have been there forever and I can't find a taco like these anywhere in Mexican Town.

Del Taco
    Taco Bell
    Chi Chi's
    no el Pollo Loco yet.

We like Las Brisas on the west end of Vernor. On the weekends they have an extra menu with cabra and some other interesting choices that you don't usually find. I like their carnitas. A lot.

Unfortunately, it seems that La Tapatia is closed. They haven't been open in at least a week, with no sign or explanation. If they're closed, it's a real shame, they were great.

I'd second Señor Lopez on Michigan and Taqueria Mi Pueblo. I'd generally avoid Bagley St. places. For quick lunch the counter at Honey Bee is actually not bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by spitcoff View Post
    mi pueblo at central and dix have very big menu and lots of meat choices not just standard beef or chicken
    D'accord. I live in Tacotown, so I have eaten at most of the places many times over, and Mi Pueblo is the best overall, in my opinion. I love the taquerias, too. Try El Rey on Vernor.

Los Altos is also very good, albeit with a Mexican Big Boy kind of feel to the interior.

Quote Originally Posted by Coplin View Post
    I'm a fan of Taqueria Camino Real in Southwest or Maria's Comida in Hamtramck , but man I miss Agave....

BTW , I win the Lotto , I'm bringing an El Azteco to Detroit !!
    OMGoodness!!!!!!!! WHY doesn't El Azteco come to the Detroit area??? I crave it all the time and can't wait to go back to E.L. for my "fix". Just had some on Saturday!
    El Azteco...the best anywhere! I haven't been able to find a burrito that is even similar to what they have!

GUSHI Guest

I just realized there have been alot of Mexican Restaurts popping up in the burbs, A few in Rochester, sterling Heights etc. Hows Azteca, I think that whats it called, a few locations I have noticed.

Funny I ran across this thread as I'm trying to find a worthy opponent to Evie's for a tamale food war this weekend.

Anybody been to RoJos Mexican Bisttro, in St.Clair Shores? Where Andiamos used to be

From my experiences it's Xochimilco on Bagley. It just has good food for an inexpensive price and the atomosphere is nice. I haven't been there in awhile so I don't know if anything has changed from the last time I was there.

Rincon Teraxco on Junction is a real dive but they have the best seafood, seriously. They also serve complimentary crackers and tuna salad as an appetizer, which I thought was so odd but unique. Taqueria Nuestra on Vernor is also great, a lot of seafood on their menu.

I used to really like Old Mexico in Livonia [[on 5 mile) but it's your standard cheesy menu, they just did it really well.

Anyone been to Rojo Mexican Bistro?

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Anybody been to RoJos Mexican Bisttro, in St.Clair Shores? Where Andiamos used to be

Yeah same great atmosphere, but the food is sort of forgettable, especially being on the more expensive side. Have you tried [[for carry out) Burrito Mundo on Mack in GPW? Another great place.

A few years ago, Mi Pueblo [[Dix/Central) was just in an old house. Now, its grown up and expanded around that "house" and is very nice. Its next to the shipping container yard that was once the Detroit Stockyards. My dad grew up in a house across the street. However, my favorite place is Taqueria Familia on Vernor/Dix. Its really been fixed up over the years too, not quite as much as MiPueblo, but retains a certain charm and the prices are cheap.

El Taquito [["The Taco Truck in ihe Parking Lot of PNC Bank on Vernor") is relentlessly tasty.

Name:  DSC_1205.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  35.2 KB

Plaza Mexico on 9 mile rd in Eastpointe still closed. Anyone know what's going on?

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    We like Las Brisas on the west end of Vernor. On the weekends they have an extra menu with cabra and some other interesting choices that you don't usually find. I like their carnitas. A lot.
    We hit up La Brisas on Sunday after our annual outdoor hockey game at Clark Park. They treated us tired, hungry, and most of all thirsty hockey players very well. Food was great, and I think we drank all the Tecate they had. Good times.

Anyone know why Plaza Mexico is closed?

Been out of Detroit since 2004, is the original Mexican Village still open? Went there for years, and have a good story about eating there the morning after I got my wisdom teeth out in the late 70's.

Barzon on Junction, Mi Pueblo on Dix and Maria's Comida in Hamtramck are my three favorites. Don't ignore the Italian end of the menu at Barzon or the asian items at Maria's.

Good news. I went by Plaza Mexico and it is open. There are signs in the window that say NOW OPEN.

What about La Tapatia on Vernor, across from Clark Park? Doesn't appear if it has been open in some time. I would assume its closed for good, but does anyone know for sure? I loved that place.

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    What happened to Plaza De Mexico on 9 mile rd in Eastpointe? It's been closed
    They had a kitchen fire a while ago but finally reopened on Friday. I was there on Saturday and their credit card machine wasn't working yet so had to pay cash. Good food and convenient.

I've never had a bad Mexican meal in Detroit. The average Mexican restaurant there is far superior to the ones down here in TX.

The next time I'm in Detroit I'm going to one of Joe Vicari's new Mexican places in Rochester and St. Claire Shores. He converted 2 of his Andiamos to Mexican. He had a Mexican chef at the 14 Mile Andiamo who used to make food for the staff and Joe was so impressed he converted the 2 restaurants and put the Mexican line chef in charge of both of them. I hear they are truly great, but, of course, more pricey than the average Mexican place.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast