Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Hybrid View

Question Don Shane-Different since sideline hit?

Is it just me or does he seem like he is a little slow since he was leveled on the sideline. Tonight he seemed like he was high as a kite! Wonder if he's got complications after that hit. Not trying to poke fun just making an observation.
    Thoughts?

Oh and is Stephen Clark a real DICK or am I imagining that too?
    Last edited by One Shot; February-15-11 at 07:28 AM.

Shane's facelift may have been damaged by the hit.

I did notice that when I saw him on the news about a week ago.

I'm not saying he was, but I mentioned to someone that he looked overmedicated.

Wonder if he's having bad headaches or something from it now?

Yesterday he did a commentary on increasing fan violence which came about because of a fan throwing something at Dallas Mavs owner Mark Cuban. He mentioned an incident this season in which Cuban got into an altercation with a ref in which they shoved each other. It was an April fools gag.
    Talk about being out to lunch. I heard him talk about this and couldn't believe he could be that clueless. I just read an online version of his commentary and they edited out the Cuban and referee altercation.

I didn't know about the hit, but I did notice for quite a while now that he seems different. Too bad if got damaged. I always found him pleasant, informative and never full of himself. I prefer Channel 4 for local news but switch to 7 for sports.

I ressurected this thread because there is definitely something different about him . First I thought it was Botox but now he seems so rigid and moves oddly.

Agreed, his trademark boyishness is way gone, and he does seem kind of mossy.

Yep, He's not the same..........

Definitely stiff, like maybe someone has to walk him on to the set, then guide him back off after his segment.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Definitely stiff, like maybe someone has to walk him on to the set, then guide him back off after his segment.
    For the record I saw him in August at a public event and he was walking fine.

He just called it a career , and will give his last broadcast tonight at 11 , and will give a more formal goodbye mid March

I heard that today too. It was a surprise. He will truly be missed. My favorite Detroit sportscaster, always professional and genuinely cheerful. Maybe that is why he seemed 'different', not from the hit, just winding down a long career.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I heard that today too. It was a surprise. He will truly be missed. My favorite Detroit sportscaster, always professional and genuinely cheerful. Maybe that is why he seemed 'different', not from the hit, just winding down a long career.
    He's come a long way in Detroit broadcasting. He's obviously not the same young man who once had Chris Spielman blast him [[broke a rib if memory serves me correctly) during a "Dare Don" segment. He was never above the information he brought to the screen; he told it like it was and he did it with professionalism. He delivered the news and he was never the story nor did he have gimmicks for us to watch him. One could watch his broadcasts and knew they were getting an unbiased straight forward story.

When he'd interview folks like Bo, Sparky, Scotty or whomever it was never done disrespectfully. In those segments he asked the questions we fans wanted to ask. A touch of class going out to pasture now. Don Shane will be missed on these airwaves.

Not sure the reason for the gap between his surprise announcement , and this coming Tuesday where he will formally retire on channel 7 March 20 most likely at 6 p.m.

They had a tribute on all their telecasts.

We've had some odd and strange sports guys here over the years. Don seemed like a nice guy and did himself proud.