Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I heard that today too. It was a surprise. He will truly be missed. My favorite Detroit sportscaster, always professional and genuinely cheerful. Maybe that is why he seemed 'different', not from the hit, just winding down a long career.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I heard that today too. It was a surprise. He will truly be missed. My favorite Detroit sportscaster, always professional and genuinely cheerful. Maybe that is why he seemed 'different', not from the hit, just winding down a long career.
    He's come a long way in Detroit broadcasting. He's obviously not the same young man who once had Chris Spielman blast him [[broke a rib if memory serves me correctly) during a "Dare Don" segment. He was never above the information he brought to the screen; he told it like it was and he did it with professionalism. He delivered the news and he was never the story nor did he have gimmicks for us to watch him. One could watch his broadcasts and knew they were getting an unbiased straight forward story.

When he'd interview folks like Bo, Sparky, Scotty or whomever it was never done disrespectfully. In those segments he asked the questions we fans wanted to ask. A touch of class going out to pasture now. Don Shane will be missed on these airwaves.

Not sure the reason for the gap between his surprise announcement , and this coming Tuesday where he will formally retire on channel 7 March 20 most likely at 6 p.m.

They had a tribute on all their telecasts.