Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Hybrid View

it seems there are a lot people that feel strongly about the buildings that are falling apart. and these people are doing nothing to save them. and by save them, you could say tear them down because most are not safe and the only way to fix them is to be torn down and rebuilt.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by johnkuhnphoto View Post
    it seems there are a lot people that feel strongly about the buildings that are falling apart. and these people are doing nothing to save them. and by save them, you could say tear them down because most are not safe and the only way to fix them is to be torn down and rebuilt.
    First of all, what the hell are you talking about?

Secondly, what gives you the qualifications to speak on the structural soundness of buildings? You're not an engineer, you're not anything but a common criminal, from the looks of things.

Regardless of the condition you deem the buildings, they're not yours to vandalize. And those overpasses look pretty structurally sound to me, those ones you defaced. Did the residents of the area ask you to do that?

What building did I buy? My fucking house. And I had to work my ass off to do it. Something you know nothing about. Too chickenshit to get a job and earn an honest living?

It's sad. I think your work has merit but you are obviously both a deeply troubled and totally insensitive human being. If you were a better person you could really be a fine artist.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    First of all, what the hell are you talking about?

Secondly, what gives you the qualifications to speak on the structural soundness of buildings? You're not an engineer, you're not anything but a common criminal, from the looks of things.

Regardless of the condition you deem the buildings, they're not yours to vandalize. And those overpasses look pretty structurally sound to me, those ones you defaced. Did the residents of the area ask you to do that?

What building did I buy? My fucking house. And I had to work my ass off to do it. Something you know nothing about. Too chickenshit to get a job and earn an honest living?

It's sad. I think your work has merit but you are obviously both a deeply troubled and totally insensitive human being. If you were a better person you could really be a fine artist.
    were talking about buildings... not houses... but ok

from what i have read on them and have heard from things on city council.. many of them are structurally damaged.

and yes i do work. i run my own company which is mainly freelance right now. i dont have a steady job because im still in school.
    Last edited by johnkuhnphoto; February-18-11 at 12:47 AM.

DetroitPole Guest

were talking about buildings... not houses... but ok

from what i have read on them and have heard from things on city council.. many of them are structurally damaged.

and yes i do work. i run my own company which is mainly freelance right now. i dont have a steady job because im still in school.
    Last time I checked a house was a building, Einstein.

"From what I have read and have heard from things on city council"
    Great citations, by the way. Bet you really put a lot of time and effort into researching which buildings you decided to deface.

You would have thrown your paint all over Orchestra Hall or the Opera House or the Book Cadillac or Willys Overland Lofts because you deemed them unsalvageable in your infinite wisdom and therefore that would have given you the right to destroy them.

Real life isn't a fucking photography class, John. You can't throw paint all over buildings and expect the world to critique it and give you constructive criticism. To even claim to expect that shows what a self-centered narcissist you are.

In fact, I think you and your little friends are getting a little too much pleasure out of this "sticking it to the man" and the pedestrian baby boomers who don't understand your profound and insightful self-expression and who obviously do nothing to help Detroit, unlike you and friends. You are no different than a child who does something wrong to get attention, except your actions have gravity and consequences that you are unable to recognize. So I'm done with you until I meet you in real life; I'm not feeding into your ego on this thread anymore. Pissing people off does not make you an avant-guard artist.

And I'm in my '20's. I was just taught to respect other people and their environment. You don't have to be a baby boomer to do that.
    Last edited by DetroitPole; February-18-11 at 06:37 AM.

John. Walk away.

I know you came here thinking you'd get support for your work; instead you've gotten kicked in the balls and you're trying to argue your way out. Arguing is not going to help, not one bit. Not when you're on the wrong side of a subject that people feel very, very passionate about. Reading this thread is like watching a traveling salesman try to win over a family of devout southern Baptists by sodomizing a horse on Dale Earnhardts grave while wearing the American flag as a cape. You won't win. You won't change any minds. You're just going to keep pissing more and more people off until something terrible happens, and then this isn't just a stupid thread on the internet anymore, its an especially topical episode of COPS.

Let this one go. Consider this matter from the point of view of the people here, no matter how wrong you think they are, sign off, cancel your account, and go your own way. Chalk this one up as a learning experience and cut your losses.

If you take just one thing away from all this, please let it be that while you're entitled to your own pursuit of happiness, it should not be at the expense of another person - or that person's home.

Quote Originally Posted by detroiturbex View Post
    John. Walk away.

I know you came here thinking you'd get support for your work; instead you've gotten kicked in the balls and you're trying to argue your way out. Arguing is not going to help, not one bit. Not when you're on the wrong side of a subject that people feel very, very passionate about. Reading this thread is like watching a traveling salesman try to win over a family of devout southern Baptists by sodomizing a horse on Dale Earnhardts grave while wearing the American flag as a cape. You won't win. You won't change any minds. You're just going to keep pissing more and more people off until something terrible happens, and then this isn't just a stupid thread on the internet anymore, its an especially topical episode of COPS.

Let this one go. Consider this matter from the point of view of the people here, no matter how wrong you think they are, sign off, cancel your account, and go your own way. Chalk this one up as a learning experience and cut your losses.

If you take just one thing away from all this, please let it be that while you're entitled to your own pursuit of happiness, it should not be at the expense of another person - or that person's home.
    i see this as a win. i wanted a different opinion from people and thats what i got. im not arguing, im stating my point.

GUSHI Guest

My dog loves to spill paint, wow he's a artist also. Looks like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    My dog loves to spill paint, wow he's a artist also. Looks like shit.
    You think that was easy? I highly doubt it was. A lot of time and work clearly went into those images. I hear those same annoying comments all the time at the DIA: "My three year old could do that, ha-ha-ha." Little do they know..

Quote Originally Posted by hermousefriday View Post
    You think that was easy? I highly doubt it was. A lot of time and work clearly went into those images. I hear those same annoying comments all the time at the DIA: "My three year old could do that, ha-ha-ha." Little do they know..
    many people wont see it that way... sadly....

And John will come back and say; But its not about no paint; its the pitchers i was taken...

Same diffrenz...

No one is asking you to approve of this work. Though I do find it interesting that if John were to have the notoriety that say "Banksy" has this wouldn't even be an issue. We are all aware of the spotlight that is on Detroit. We get it. You were Detroit before it was cool. Little bit of a hipster after all eh?

Even though John may come from money he has chosen to make a life here. In Detroit. He works here, goes to school here and creates here. That gives him a say on what happens here. Time, care, and money is put into this work. Paint isn’t cheap and carrying it isn’t easy. Even though you may not think of it as art, your still thinking about it. The art is in the photo not the painting and these are very attractive images.

Don't give me bullshit about the sanctity of sidewalks and overpasses. It's housepaint. It will wash off and fade. If it was a pretty painting with the ugly ass Detroit D on it no one would be bitching. Let's face it. The majority of these buildings will never be bought. He is not targeting your home. You don't live there. No one does. Frankly I find it refreshing to see color in an otherwise blighted building. It shows that someone took the time to do consider the waste that we are surrounded with. It makes ME take time to consider MY surroundings. Isn't that the point of art?

I see the CCS contingent is joining the forum one by one.

Quote Originally Posted by ruffsicle View Post
    Don't give me bullshit about the sanctity of sidewalks and overpasses. It's housepaint. It will wash off and fade.
    It's not about the "sanctity" of sidewalks and overpasses, it is about the malicious destruction of public property. Whether you want to agree with it or not, malicious destruction of property is a crime. It's not really open for debate or interpretation.

And since when does house paint wash off?

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post

It's not about the "sanctity" of sidewalks and overpasses, it is about the malicious destruction of public property. Whether you want to agree with it or not, malicious destruction of property is a crime. It's not really open for debate or interpretation.

ok. Well where is your righteous anger over the malicious threats? Not only to John Kuhn? But to people who happen to know him. Two wrongs don't make it right. Isn't that what your saying. "Just because the building is abandoned doesn't make it ok.... blah blah blah. I see it's ok when the people in the "right" break the law but it's not when John does.

we already know that its "destruction of property" i think we figured that out on page one

It seems to me that all of these properties were malicously destroyed by their absent land owners well before our friend John arrived at them.

Would you rather have a shitty vacant building, or a shitty vacant building with some brilliant colors on it.

Seriously you can tell who the Baby Boomers on this forum are. These building are not coming back the way they use to be. The only thing to do is to move forward. We don't know what to do. People in this city and this nation are lost. When we don't know what to do we must create and that is exactly what John is doing. He is building the culture and environment of creation. We will not dig ourselves out of the hole that generations past dug us into by ignoring and/or running from real problems and creating fake ones like "high" taxes or so-called "welfare queens" [[read: everyone who voted for Regan I am calling you out).

Give up. You let it decay. Let someone else try to build it.

John what you are doing is creating the Genesis culture that is Detroit's only hope. We must all be a part of this new ethic of creation. No one cares if you own property, where you came from, or where you live. We're all in this together---so unless your planning on doing something truly economic with those buildings---leave it alone.

If I may, John, I would find it interesting if you began painting eyes in certain places. Studies in numerous cities [[especially NYC subway) have shown that areas with eyes painted in them [[even just one eye) are far less likely to be areas where a crime occurs. Now thats something we can all agree on doing.

Quote Originally Posted by socks_mahoney View Post
    It seems to me that all of these properties were malicously destroyed by their absent land owners well before our friend John arrived at them.

Would you rather have a shitty vacant building, or a shitty vacant building with some brilliant colors on it.

Seriously you can tell who the Baby Boomers on this forum are. These building are not coming back the way they use to be. The only thing to do is to move forward. We don't know what to do. People in this city and this nation are lost. When we don't know what to do we must create and that is exactly what John is doing. He is building the culture and environment of creation. We will not dig ourselves out of the hole that generations past dug us into by ignoring and/or running from real problems and creating fake ones like "high" taxes or so-called "welfare queens" [[read: everyone who voted for Regan I am calling you out).

Give up. You let it decay. Let someone else try to build it.

John what you are doing is creating the Genesis culture that is Detroit's only hope. We must all be a part of this new ethic of creation. No one cares if you own property, where you came from, or where you live. We're all in this together---so unless your planning on doing something truly economic with those buildings---leave it alone.

If I may, John, I would find it interesting if you began painting eyes in certain places. Studies in numerous cities [[especially NYC subway) have shown that areas with eyes painted in them [[even just one eye) are far less likely to be areas where a crime occurs. Now thats something we can all agree on doing.
    all i have to say is... well i dont know what to say besides THANKS

do you have any links of this eye thing? it would be interesting to look at

Quote Originally Posted by socks_mahoney View Post
    John what you are doing is creating the Genesis culture that is Detroit's only hope. We must all be a part of this new ethic of creation.
    hahahahahaha -- that's awesome!!!

You know how people always say ROTFL? This is so incredibly hilarious that I actually fell out of my chair and literally started rolling on the floor. [[OK, not really.) But, my, that's funny!

Default wah-wahh

It would be nice if people could give constructive criticism without petty insults and threats. John is not Detroit's biggest threat. I think we all know that there are definitely worse illegal activities happening in some [[if not all) of these buildings. I mean people are dealing crack in them, and you're bitching about some guy taking pictures? Paint can be washed off. Maybe lets direct some of that anger towards Detroit's real criminals.

It would be nice if people could give constructive criticism without petty insults and threats. John is not Detroit's biggest threat. I think we all know that there are definitely worse illegal activities happening in some [[if not all) of these buildings. I mean people are dealing crack in them, and you're bitching about some guy taking pictures? Paint can be washed off. Maybe lets direct some of that anger towards Detroit's real criminals.
    i was coming in for a critique and different view points... and it turned into this...

Quote Originally Posted by ruffsicle View Post
    No one is asking you to approve of this work.

So you really need some guy to splatter a building to acknowledge your surroundings?

Is that the point of art? It doesnt remotely address anything.

You want DetroitPole to come and clean up empty lots in your hood, but dont think twice about the attractiveness of housepaint on a sidewalk.

hermousefriday You think that was easy? I highly doubt it was. A lot of time and work clearly went into those images. I hear those same annoying comments all the time at the DIA: "My three year old could do that, ha-ha-ha." Little do they know..

John Kuhn is getting off kind of easy.

The work so to speak, could be done by a three year old and it might make you angry over spilled paint, but being the open-minded person you are; you would probably say, aw shucks, he didnt know what he was doing...

Hmm I would love to see a 3 year old make that kind of art.

haha. yes me too

thanks to the forum. painting detroit is now number 5 on google

Originally Posted by hermousefriday
    haha. yes me too
    3 yr olds don't make this kind of 'art' because they are being taught to respect other people's property at about that age. They'd know better than to paint on someone else's toys; apparently that lesson has been forgotten by this boy.

I did not say for anyone to come clean up lots in my "hood." I said it's easy to talk shit about beating the shit out of a white kid in art school. Yet you don't step up and stop other petty crime. So your right where do we draw the line? Are you going to start beating the shit out of prostitutes? People who sell drugs? It's time to clean up the city right? Best get too it

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast