Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What's on Fire in Warrendale?

Does anyone in Warrendale know what's on fire on Warren Avenue? The news said that Warren Avenue from Southfield to Evergreen was closed due to a fire. Thank you...

I'm not certain, but had heard on the radio this morning that it was the building on the southside of Warren [[which would be where the the old thrift store was located and had since been changed to an Auto Zone or some such thing) and the fire spread to the Dog House coney Island. As I said....that's what was reported on the radio.

lilpup Guest

Those may be the worst pictures EVER in a news media outlet.

So much for citizen journalism.

Thank you agirlintheD and lilpup! Those are my old stomping grounds, so I hate to hear of any trouble there. AutoZone and the Dog House were two of the more steady businesses in the neighborhood -- hopefully they can bounce back.

Quote Originally Posted by agirlintheD View Post
    I'm not certain, but had heard on the radio this morning that it was the building on the southside of Warren [[which would be where the the old thrift store was located and had since been changed to an Auto Zone or some such thing) and the fire spread to the Dog House coney Island. As I said....that's what was reported on the radio.
    Those buildings [[Dog House, former locations of Warrendale Meats and Salvation Army) are located on the north side of Warren Ave. Semma Mt, Happy Cleaners, etc. are located on the south side.

Quote Originally Posted by motownmark04 View Post
    Those buildings [[Dog House, former locations of Warrendale Meats and Salvation Army) are located on the north side of Warren Ave. Semma Mt, Happy Cleaners, etc. are located on the south side.
    You're right. It was early....and I repeated something I heard. Thank you for the clarification!!!!

The fire must have started in the back of the Arab owned flee market outlet and spread to two more buildings.

Here are some options what might started the fire:

1. A dispute [[ possible racial neigborhood struggle between Blacks and Arabs who are living the Warrendale Area)

2. Electrical problem

3. Tripped electrical or chemical plot to fool the insurance company.

4. Chemical problem coming from either the coney island, Auto Zone or flee market.

5. A recent dispute between an Arab owner of the flee market and a customer.

6 A recent dispute between a Coney Island owner and a customer.

7. A recent dispute between a customer and Employee[[s) at Auto Zone.

8. arson

9. Arson in retailation after a onwer disputes from either 3 businesses.

10. accidental

The Detroit Fire Marshal will theorize arson.

Things in Warrendale are going down hill since an influx of middle class whites left the area to suburbs after 1990. Low-income folks moved in ans some homes are vacant, abandoned and burned down. An influx of blacks and Arab Muslims have moved into its neighborhoods. Mexican/Hispanic tried to move into that area, but its slowed down. Blacks and Arabs will continue to compete for Warrendale homes and businesses and in next 30 years will see who will be the ethnic winner.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Please keep Detroit beautiful for Neda's sake.

GUSHI Guest

Danny i'm lmao!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Things in Warrendale are going down hill since an influx of middle class whites left the area to suburbs after 1990. Low-income folks moved in ans some homes are vacant, abandoned and burned down. An influx of blacks and Arab Muslims have moved into its neighborhoods. Mexican/Hispanic tried to move into that area, but its slowed down. Blacks and Arabs will continue to compete for Warrendale homes and businesses and in next 30 years will see who will be the ethnic winner.
    An ethnic winner?

It's not really a competition. Whoever wants to move in or set up a business here does so.

It's all pretty straight forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    An ethnic winner?

It's not really a competition. Whoever wants to move in or set up a business here does so.

It's all pretty straight forward.
    Oh there will be fast claim to Warrendale even when it becomes a low-income quite blighted Detroit ghettohood compared to Brightmoor.

I can say one thing that corner isn't what it was 20 years ago. And a Polish neighborhood it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    I can say one thing that corner isn't what it was 20 years ago. And a Polish neighborhood it isn't.
    • Wally's Fruit Market
    • Warrendale Meat Market
    • Paul J. Citkowski's Dog House
    • Harry's Department Store
    • Stromboli Pizza
    • Steve's Three Brothers Restaurant

Grew up in Warrendale. My family moved out in 2002, when I was 17. Got $100,000+ for our house then. Today, it's abandoned, trashed, and probably not too far away from being demolished.

The only vestiges of Polish influence in that neighborhood today, if I'm correct, are the three funeral homes along Warren: Duzak [[east of Southfield), Jarzembowski, and Sajewski [[west of Southfield).