DetroitYES Mini-Film Festival presents two Detroit-themed films by German director Dieter Marcello.
READ MORE »

JOIN DETROITYES NOW
FREE AND FUN

DISCUSSING ALL THINGS DETROIT SINCE 1999

ENJOY DETROITYES?


AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 206
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    108

    Default Painting Detroit

    Here is a link to Painting Detroit. Art project based in the city. Enjoy!

    Painting Detroit

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    108

    Default

    hey, im new to this site. above is the project that i am currently working on.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    285

    Default

    i once painted dumpsters
    not good money in it though

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    108

    Default

    haha no

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    658

    Default

    you're not a painter, you're not a painter.

    spilling and throwing paint around is not painting, it's creating an eyesore.
    Last edited by eno; February-14-11 at 01:13 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Haha....I can remember seeing some of that in the Packard Plant. I wondered who would do such a thing....kinda interesting if u ask me!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    you're not a painter, you're not a painter.

    spilling and throwing paint around is not painting, it's creating an eyesore.
    NO, i am not a painter, I am a photographer.

    its not exactly about the painting... read the home page
    Last edited by johnkuhnphoto; February-14-11 at 05:05 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    108

    Default

    The Painting Detroit series will be shown at the location and time below. The show is called Focally Grown. It is a show for us seniors at the College for Creative Studies (CCS)!

    Time
    Friday, February 25 6:00pm - 9:00pm

    Location
    Valade Family Gallery, Taubman Center
    485 W. Milwaukee
    Detroit, MI

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    I'm mot sure how I feel about your project. From a visual perspective, I find it interesting and appealing. However, I'm not happy about the use of the abandoned and tagged sites.

    It might be OK on the interior of abandoned buildings, but when it goes outdoors on public property, then it bothers me.

    For example, the doorway of the abandoned building....I hate to see further destruction of the property, not to mention that there is now paint on the sidewalk. Although you might see it as artistic expression, I think it invites more tagging and destruction by others.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    108

    Default

    i can agree with you on the fact that the exteriors brings more "taggers" to paint on what i have done because it "makes a nice background for their work." The exteriors were more done in the beginning of the series. Now I am focusing on doing things like the cart on the homepage. Painting objects in their environment.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,286

    Default

    It is kind of ordinary in a big way John. It doesnt stand out from the rest of the graffitti on the streets of Detroit or anywhere else. Maybe painting dumpsters for a couple of years and reflecting on that and other things would bring a better Focal Distance to all of this. If this is what results from 2 or 3 years of study at an art school, it is better to not study in an art school. Reflect on what you have done so far, and try to think of how much work and finesse went into designing that little cart, and the classroom setting you vandalized in your eagerness to shock. Try to differentiate between the forgettable and the memorable and unique. Read as much as you can to help yourself find the words and put them in the right sequence because what you wrote is clearly unclear. Painting and making art is a painful thing, it is difficult, and vandalism is a cop-out and really shocking for all the wrong reasons.
    Last edited by canuck; February-14-11 at 10:18 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,286

    Default

    Huh John... I just found some pretty distressing pictures of some tortured souls on your personal website. Please tell me these arent for real. Is there any way of erasing the hooks in them? Either you are a Photoshop wiz, which I suspect you aint, or they are the product of a mind that equates art with dumping tires on a vacant lot.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    I'm mot sure how I feel about your project. From a visual perspective, I find it interesting and appealing. However, I'm not happy about the use of the abandoned and tagged sites.

    It might be OK on the interior of abandoned buildings, but when it goes outdoors on public property, then it bothers me.

    For example, the doorway of the abandoned building....I hate to see further destruction of the property, not to mention that there is now paint on the sidewalk. Although you might see it as artistic expression, I think it invites more tagging and destruction by others.
    I share this critique, particularly with exposed public and private property.

    My personal ethic is the that nothing gets broken into, nothing gets altered, nothing gets removed. Think of it like entering the Parthenon or the Coliseum. Would you splash paint on them, if you could? I know some may argue that there is a big difference in historical significance between them and the Packard Plant or MCD but is there, really?

    There is plenty of magic to be found if you look in the right direction at the right time and leave things undisturbed.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    It is kind of ordinary in a big way John. It doesnt stand out from the rest of the graffitti on the streets of Detroit or anywhere else. Maybe painting dumpsters for a couple of years and reflecting on that and other things would bring a better Focal Distance to all of this. If this is what results from 2 or 3 years of study at an art school, it is better to not study in an art school. Reflect on what you have done so far, and try to think of how much work and finesse went into designing that little cart, and the classroom setting you vandalized in your eagerness to shock. Try to differentiate between the forgettable and the memorable and unique. Read as much as you can to help yourself find the words and put them in the right sequence because what you wrote is clearly unclear. Painting and making art is a painful thing, it is difficult, and vandalism is a cop-out and really shocking for all the wrong reasons.
    I dont see it as vandalism, I see it as creating what I want. With this I do understand that there are going to be plenty of people on both sides of the fence. People will either love it or hate it. It is out of my hand now.
    On another note... Doesn't this project say something about the city. Not because of the paint, but because of the number of buildings that are apart of the project. I think it says something about the city its self.

    Through the use of art, or graffiti (as stated) people can speak about social/political issues even if its not directly spell out for the viewer.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Huh John... I just found some pretty distressing pictures of some tortured souls on your personal website. Please tell me these arent for real. Is there any way of erasing the hooks in them? Either you are a Photoshop wiz, which I suspect you aint, or they are the product of a mind that equates art with dumping tires on a vacant lot.
    The "distressing" images on my site are real. It is know as body suspension and has been used for many reasons for a long... long time. Take some native american tribes for example. This was a ritual of becoming a man.
    Actually yes, I know quite a bit about photoshop. I do a lot of post-produciton work and I teach classes on photoshop.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,683

    Default

    Which suburban neighborhood are you from? I want to create what I want, also.

    Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,683

    Default

    Oh, Bingham Farms on Telegraph. That will make the phone call easier, thanks.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I share this critique, particularly with exposed public and private property.

    My personal ethic is the that nothing gets broken into, nothing gets altered, nothing gets removed. Think of it like entering the Parthenon or the Coliseum. Would you splash paint on them, if you could? I know some may argue that there is a big difference in historical significance between them and the Packard Plant or MCD but is there, really?

    There is plenty of magic to be found if you look in the right direction at the right time and leave things undisturbed.

    For the most part, nothing is broken into. The buildings are just sitting there. Open. Everything in every building that I have personally been into is altered, with just about everything removed. Its just the way it is.

    The Parthenon and Coliseum are landmarks of the area. So, whats Detroit's landmark? I would probably not be stepping too far out of line by saying the Train Station? Because the Train Station is almost highly regarded as a landmark of the city, I didn't paint it. There are hundreds of people that have seen this work at its first showing. Not one negative comment. Maybe they were just afraid to say something negative about me or my work. And thats their choice. But I felt that if I did paint the Train Station, it would probably turn most the people that love the work away. They would hate it because of that one image.
    I believe that when we have something in abundance, such as these buildings, people should use them for something. I don't agree with people that go in there to destroy the building by breaking things or setting fires.
    I know a lot of people will not like what I do. I cannot change that. I love the buildings. I really think putting paint on something is on a completely different page from the ones who try and break things in the buildings and set fires and so on. I figure I would use the buildings for something. So I used them as a canvas for my work

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Oh, Bingham Farms on Telegraph. That will make the phone call easier, thanks.
    not sure what your asking about. Yes Bingham Farms on Telegraph is my mailing address for my business. I live in Detroit.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,683

    Default

    Detroit isn't your personal place to shit on.

    You are breaking the law.

    I consider accounting offices in Bingham Farms to be crappy buildings that I can tag, but I haven't yet broken into one and/or used one for my artistic endeavors. Are you saying that I should feel free?
    Last edited by East Detroit; February-15-11 at 07:38 PM.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    You're an accountant, too?

    By the way, Detroit isn't your personal place to shit on.

    You are breaking the law.
    no im not.
    thats not what i am attempting to do.
    but i know everyone sees things differently

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnkuhnphoto View Post
    I dont see it as vandalism, I see it as creating what I want. With this I do understand that there are going to be plenty of people on both sides of the fence. People will either love it or hate it. It is out of my hand now.
    On another note... Doesn't this project say something about the city. Not because of the paint, but because of the number of buildings that are apart of the project. I think it says something about the city its self.

    Through the use of art, or graffiti (as stated) people can speak about social/political issues even if its not directly spell out for the viewer.

    What does it say about the city? What does it matter if you paint inside or out of one or many buildings?

    I am maybe not awake enough to see the social or political comment. The fact that you are painting objects and parts of derelict buildings doesnt make a potent statement. I see too much of the same stuff that merely says wannabe. If you went out and painted objects and walls on a daily basis, you might find this stuff not so hot, whether you photographed them or not.

    As for the people hanging form meat hooks, well I've heard the same garnbage about tattoos and scarification being a form of passage rite long ago and across civilization. Frankly, it is just sad that these guys need to wannabe somebody by crucifying themselves, I cant fathom this.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    108

    Default

    it says that there are a plethora of abandoned buildings and that they are easily accessible.
    i havent seen anyone else do this. so im not sure how its "wannabe." the only thing that came close to this was in the early/mid 1900's by a photographer painting abandoned home interiors. i cannot remember his name off the top of my head.
    as for the people suspending. it has nothing to do with crucifying anyone. from what i know and understand some do it because they like to push their bodies to the next level. some have spiritual thing happen. some just do it to try it. some do it just for the performance aspect (concerts, haunted houses, and so on). some like the adrenaline and endorphin rush. and im sure there a many other reasons.
    as you said "I am maybe not awake enough to see" maybe you just need to open your eyes a little and see, experience, and/or understand that people do what makes them happy.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,435

    Default

    it says that there are a plethora of abandoned buildings and that they are easily accessible.

    Sorry, It screams "I am going to what I want to do with total disregard to the other taxpayers of public property and I will force my view of art upon them"

    You have documented what is trespassing ,vandalism ,and destruction of private and public property for your own singular belief or agenda you are no different then a scrapper trying to justify destruction ,are you willing to foot the bill when it comes time for the clean up on those properties?

    The poster above gave excellent advice: Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.
    That is the signature of a respected professional and artist.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,376

    Default

    I will tell my friends about your gallery show, maybe you can meet them there.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •