Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Make sure you are at the bus stop on early. My son got to the Madison Mega Bus stop in time but it was overbooked and so took off to Minneapolis without him. He went to the airport with other stranded ticket payers, rented a car, and made it back in time for work the next day.
    A lady I work with has taken the Mega Bus to Chicago several times. Each time she returns with an adventure story to tell. They don't always pick up at the RPTC. Once they told her the wrong corner where the bus was to pick up. She waited with her family wondering where it was when they saw it go past them full of passengers. Another time, she had the overbooked experience, but got into a shoving match with another passenger to get her & her family seated. [[I guess it's like general admission seating.) A third time, the bus broke down on the way back from Chicago. They were stranded for something like 6 hours waiting for another bus to rescue them. Their rates are cheap, but then again, you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Why not take the MegaBus? You can get incredibly cheap round-trip fares from Detroit to Chicago. They even have wi-fi. Sometimes they offer specials for a $1 each way.
    I have taken the $1.00 MegaBus special to Chicago many times...I recommend it!!!

True, but how many trains does VIA run outside the Montreal/Toronto/Windsor corridor, 2? Compared to our system, VIA is primarily a short/medium haul service.

Dumb question maybe but I remember many times in college here in Ontario [[Via Rail Canada) when there would be an announcement for a last minute short delay due to having to add additional rail cars because all seats were sold. Why aren't they just adding cars?

I've taken Amtrak from Detroit to Seattle twice, and I've loved all two-and-a-half days of the trip. Getting there is part of the journey!

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    True, but how many trains does VIA run outside the Montreal/Toronto/Windsor corridor, 2? Compared to our system, VIA is primarily a short/medium haul service.
    That's also true. Yeah...it's like 2 or 3, and they're more "special" train sets. I guess it would be alot more expensive to buy up a used fleet and rehab it for Amtrak to make a difference. VIA also only has a handful of routes.

They run trains cross country including long hauls from Toronto to Vancouver on the scenic trains.
    But trains go from coast to coast and several points north to south. Used to be folks would travel by train a lot more but many links no longer exist.

from Amtrak's website;
    As the nation's intercity passenger rail operator, Amtrak connects America in safer, greener and healthier ways. With 21,000 route miles in 46 states, the District of Columbia and three Canadian provinces, Amtrak operates more than 300 trains each day — at speeds up to 150 mph — to more than 500 destinations. Amtrak also is the operator of choice for state-supported corridor services in 15 states and for four commuter rail agencies. Get fact sheets, documents and information about Amtrak's trains, corridors, improvement efforts and more here.

VIA operates up to 503 trains weekly on 12,500 kilometres of track, and serves 450 communities across the country, from coast to coast and north to Hudson Bay. VIA carried close to 4.2 million customers in 2007.

From Viarail's website:
    VIA’s fleet includes 396 passenger cars and 78 active locomotives. In addition to 159 railway stations, VIA operates four modern maintenance facilities, and employs some 3,000 people.

You could take Megabus DetroitDad. It's stops at Union, though book ahead, it fills up fast. The buses are nice. They have wireless internet and the restrooms have always been clean. The crowd is mostly college students and young professionals. The ride is quick, and the buses drive pretty fast. For some crazy reason, they always manage to beat the traffic. I've had delays, but they haven't been that bad.

The train is nice if you can do it. It takes longer because it's stops and slows up a bit around Hammond and Gary, IN. But you can walk around, get food in the dining car, the seats are wider, and they have AC outlets to plug in your computer. There is no wireless internet in the coaches though. [[I think the dining car has internet)

The downside to the train is it will cost you nearly twice as much.

Just an FYI, there are no el train or subway connection to Union Station. It's about a 10-15 minute walk to the closet station, but if you have luggage, it's not fun. I'd recommend taking a taxi to anyplace you would be staying downtown, or if going to the neighborhoods, take a taxi to a single-line-sign-designated-station to avoid transfers....aka brown line only, red line only...

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    In trying to book a Amtrak ride to Chicago from Detroit anytime this week/weekend, I found all the trips sold out,

I was not aware there was more demand then supply, when it came to commuter rail.....
    Detroit to Chicago ain't commuter rail, its longhaul.

I like trains too, but if you can't get a ticket on one, nothing wrong with Megabus. It sure beats travelling by Greyhound because the Megabus only stops twice before getting to Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Just an FYI, there are no el train or subway connection to Union Station. It's about a 10-15 minute walk to the closet station, but if you have luggage, it's not fun. I'd recommend taking a taxi to anyplace you would be staying downtown, or if going to the neighborhoods, take a taxi to a single-line-sign-designated-station to avoid transfers....aka brown line only, red line only...
    The Clinton station on the Blue Line is 2-3 blocks from Union Station.

Wow, I've never heard of them. Apparently this Mega Bus departs right from the Rosa Parks Transit Center, and will drop us off right at Union Station.

Three round trip tickets cost us just $99! Thanks! Now lets see, how what else can I call this besides a bus, so my wife won't think we're taking a bus.....
    Tell your wife its not a bus, its a Custom Motor Coach. Driving to Chi-town this time of year is tricky. I hate that constant lake effect snow between Benton Harbor and Gary. I love the train. See you in the bar car.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    The Clinton station on the Blue Line is 2-3 blocks from Union Station.
    Depending upon where you are going to, you are not far from the Oglive station for METRA and some METRA trains leave Union. METRAs however are commuter trains and have limited stops.

Proslack Guest

In trying to book a Amtrak ride to Chicago from Detroit anytime this week/weekend, I found all the trips sold out,

I was not aware there was more demand then supply, when it came to commuter rail.....
    You are obviously a when it comes to Amtrak travel. I have been taking the Amtrak train between Detroit and Chicago since 2003, it is always packed when i travel and it can sometimes be very difficult to get tickets if you wait to the last minute. It;s isn't like there are a ton of these trains traveling to and from Chicago.

Proslack Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Detroit to Chicago ain't commuter rail, its longhaul.

I like trains too, but if you can't get a ticket on one, nothing wrong with Megabus. It sure beats travelling by Greyhound because the Megabus only stops twice before getting to Chicago.
    it seems as if no one here knows anything about trains, especially the ones complaining about how they aren't need and how crappy and miserable they are. Someone yesterday referred to the Chicago MetraRail as being light passenger rail. This made me laugh and realize folks will bash anything they know nothing about.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post

What if a private company wanted to take over a money losing line meeting all Amtrak standards?
    All modes of transportation are subsidized in the U.S. Roads are paid 80% by the federal government, gas prices are held artificially low, airports get billions in capitol and operating subsidies, airlines get subsidies, airplane manufacturers get subsidies, there is no fuel tax on jet... it goes on and on...

There is no rational reason to expect that rail should be any different. I actually agree that AMTRAK could be replaced by a private-sector company. However, that company would still need massive subsidies to have any chance competing with all the other transportation modes that are subsidized. The massive increases in ridership show that there is a market out there for rail transportation, despite the piss-poor options that currently exist. Imagine if we invested in a world-class system...

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Amtrak is intercity rail, not commuter rail.

Amtrak runs a very limited schedule on most lines, and the trains are often full. The problem is that they lose money on the fares; running more trains means losing more money, so they can't afford to run more trains. Filling trains is economical, but running additional trains isn't. I wish they could--I'd rather take the train to Chicago than fly or drive.

In the northeast corridor, where the trains actually make money, or at least lose less, you can usually get a ticket, except on special occasions like the day before Thanksgiving.

But one of the big advantages of a train is that capacity can be adjusted by adding more cars. So it would make no sense if the train were always completely full and they were not adding another car to try and sell more tickets for the same trip.

True if Amtrak had more cars available. Alas, they don't. One of Amtrak's problems is that it doesn't have funding available to build more cars, so trains have a limited capacity. And face it, they sell out sometimes, just like airlines.

True if Amtrak had more cars available. Alas, they don't. One of Amtrak's problems is that it doesn't have funding available to build more cars, so trains have a limited capacity. And face it, they sell out sometimes, just like airlines.
    A big part of the reason for this is that Amtrak--unlike airlines and road traffic--must pay for the cost of its own infrastructure, whether that be track and stations that it owns [[including bridges and tunnels = $$$) or rental of track from the freight railroads. Thus, it has less money available for capital needs like equipment. Rail in the United States is the only form of transportation infrastructure in the world that relies on private funding for construction and maintenance.

If Delta Airlines had to fund the operations of DTW, ATL, and MSP, they'd be in the breadline in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; February-14-11 at 07:18 PM.

I just discovered that Amtrak will haul private rail cars and it's very profitable for them.
    http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1241267371750

Anyone know whatever happened to Henry Ford's private railcar. You used to be able to see it parked in the yard adjacent to I 94 between Schafer and Michigan.

VIA will pull them on most trains as well...but I'd bet it's expensive as hell. Well, I guess if you're splitting the costs beteween a few people. However, OWNING a private rail car is something else altogether. Maintenance costs alone to keep them Amtrak certified are simply rediculous. You'd have to be a multi-millionaire to actually do this....it's practically the only way.

I had a friend who took the Mega Bus to Chicago over the summer. He was excited that he didn't have to drive himself for once. And then, wouldn't you know it, a state trooper pulls the bus over because it was swerving. The driver was drunk. Needless to say, he got to Union Station pretty late.

Downriveria, Henry Ford's private rail car is now at The Henry Ford [[aka Henry Ford Museum & Greenfield Village). It was owned at one time by Richard Kughn.

Quote Originally Posted by pswingset View Post
    I had a friend who took the Mega Bus to Chicago over the summer. He was excited that he didn't have to drive himself for once. And then, wouldn't you know it, a state trooper pulls the bus over because it was swerving. The driver was drunk. Needless to say, he got to Union Station pretty late.
    Hard to believe that an incident like that didn't make the news.........

Ddi you know Greenfield Village is an Amtrak stop? Way in the back at Smith's Creek Station, you can get on or off the train. I used to work Smith's Creek a lot, and I remember clearly being with a mom who was putting her 18 year old son and his electric guitar on the train, off to college. Oh how she cried.... I went on break after that and I walked her to her car, she was so sad. I eventually got her to laugh before she left.
    I used to love taking the train to Ann Arbor.... My mom and I did it plenty of times, and in high school when I mentioned it in my Travel and Tourism class, the teacher was like "Field Trip!!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast