Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by ja!mz View Post
    Union regulation....
    you serious?

Wayne County Jail downtown has a 13th floor. That's where you stay for your first few days after you get booked in.

Tower 500 & 600 in the Ren Cen have 13th floors.

I can't remember if the hotel or towers 100-400 do or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    The top floor in the Michigan Building is the 13th floor. But the building elevators only go up to 12 [[except the freight elevator). So the 13th floor is used mainly for storage... and there's a mechanical floor above that for the elevators.
    I worked on the 13th floor of the Michigan Theatre Building in the early 80's. I worked for a processor of Master Card and Visa and when we would have vendors stop by, they could never find our department since the main elevators only went to 12! I had a great office overlooking Bagley and the city. Never had an issue with being on the 13th floor. [[I had more trouble getting to the 3rd floor to park!)

Hudson's downtown had a 13th floor. That's where the Riverview Dining room was located.

If I remember correctly, the Broderick, and Whitney had 13 floor signed in their stairwells. I was first made aware of the 13th floor phenomena way back when Compuware opened, and got a tour. I'm surprised for a modern building, it continued this dying historic trend.

I've seen hotels in St. Louis with no 13th floor. Of course the 13th floor existed, but it was used for storage and the elevator did not have a button for it. I've heard of 13 being omitted in other cities as well. It's strange.

According to my research, some buildings in Japan omit any mention of 4 or 9, because the pronunciation of four sounds like "death" and nine sounds like "suffering."

Article about it
    http://www.ehow.com/about_6459643_is...r-hotels_.html
    Last edited by LeannaM; February-14-11 at 02:24 AM.

MCS has 13 floors according to the original labeling. Name:  cross.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  37.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    MCS has 13 floors according to the original labeling. Name:  cross.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  37.4 KB
    Very cool. If I recall correctly level "C" or was it "B"? had ceilings too low to make it occupied. It was more or less a structural transfer floor where these deep girders would redistribute the column loads above so you would have the large columned space in the concourse below.

The J.L. Hudson Co. building did indeed have a 13th floor. It contained the main restaurant and, in later years, the Contract [[office furniture) Division. The toy department and auditorium were on the 12th floor.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Very cool. If I recall correctly level "C" or was it "B"? had ceilings too low to make it occupied. It was more or less a structural transfer floor where these deep girders would redistribute the column loads above so you would have the large columned space in the concourse below.
    Yup, Mezzanine C was the "Pipe loft"

1300 Lafayette East Cooperative has a 13th floor

Thanks for the MCS image mcsdetroitfriend... that image kind of makes it apparent that the tower and Main Waiting Room are very much structurally interconnected. It might not be possible to bring down the tower and save the waiting room, as some here have suggested.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2