Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 17 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I think a couple of them are still pushing their books so you don't want to drop out too quickly. And I just think the backlash against Romney continues to give some of the ones who probably should drop out hope.
    Yesterday Cain's campaign paid the $10,000 filing fee for the Nevada caucus held on February 4th. Between now and that date Cain will continue to generate book sales on the campaign dime. Nice work if you can get it.

Cain pays $10k filing fee to participate in Nevada caucus, plans state bus campaign
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    November 30, 2011 - 12:57 pm

LAS VEGAS — Herman Cain's campaign says his presidential bid is alive and well in Nevada after filing to be in the state's Feb. 4 caucus.

Campaign staff paid a $10,000 filing fee for the caucus on Tuesday. Cain's Nevada campaign director Elicia Huffaker tells the Las Vegas Review-Journal the candidate is planning a bus tour of Nevada in late January or early February.

Cain's Nevada campaign director Elicia Huffaker tells the Las Vegas Review-Journal the candidate is planning a bus tour of Nevada in late January or early February.

The payment comes after Cain was reportedly reassessing his presidential run amid allegations of sexual misconduct and a 13-year extramarital affair.

Cain has denied all of the accusations, but they have hurt the former frontrunner in the polls.

Huffaker says Cain would have cancelled the $10,000 check if he was leaving the race.

Candidates have until Friday to file for the caucus with the Nevada Republican Party.

Ron Paul has gotten in on it with a new book titled the Ron Paul Family Cookbook.

Ron Paul Releases A Family Cookbook
    Business Insider
    By Zeke Miller Nov. 30, 2011, 10:25 AM

This was posted on his campaign's website yesterday:

The eagerly anticipated new Ron Paul Family Cookbook is finally here! Featuring 28 pages of tasty recipes from the Paul family and friends, this much-in-demand and collectible cookbook will “warm your kitchen and your heart.” Packed full of photos of the entire Paul family, the book also includes Carol Paul’s “The American Dream” which briefly recounts the history of Ron Paul and the Paul Family.

Share copies of the Ron Paul Family Cookbook with your family and friends this Christmas. The Cookbook makes a great holiday gift!And plan to use the cookbook as one of the best campaign handouts you will ever find. Folks love them and will pay more attention to the cookbook than to typical campaign literature. Introduce voters to Ron Paul and his outstanding family with this wonderful, family-oriented publication.

Price? A reasonable $8 + $2.50 shipping [[and an $8 surcharge for shipments to AK and HI will be added during checkout).

Note: purchases count as donations to the Paul campaign.
    Last edited by vetalalumni; December-01-11 at 07:56 AM. Reason: edit

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yeah, he [[Cain) really never had a chance, but many were to playing 'polite' to admit it. He has too, too many allegations that are too 'Clinton'equist to ignore.
    Unfortunate for the wife and kids though.

The eagerly anticipated new Ron Paul Family Cookbook
    Eagerly anticipated? I find that hard to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Eagerly anticipated? I find that hard to believe.
    Tongue in cheek probably and the last line was " Note: purchases count as donations to the Paul campaign" but while on the subject of more than you might want to know about Ron Paul's personal life, he grew up working for his father's dairy. Ron Paul's four brothers became a CPA, two ministers [[Lutheran I think), and a mathematician. Three of Ron Paul's five kids are doctors and he has eighteen grandchildren.
    Season's Greetings from the Ron Paul Family 32sec.

While in the Christmas mood, I'll note that Obama seems like a devoted family guy too. Gingrich falls short.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Tongue in cheek probably and the last line was " Note: purchases count as donations to the Paul campaign" but while on the subject of more than you might want to know about Ron Paul's personal life, he grew up working for his father's dairy. Ron Paul's four brothers became a CPA, two ministers [[Lutheran I think), and a mathematician. Three of Ron Paul's five kids are doctors and he has eighteen grandchildren.

While in the Christmas mood, I'll note that Obama seems like a devoted family guy too. Gingrich falls short.
    Good call on the holiday cheer.

The Paul family does not appear much in the media, except for Ron and Rand. I would not mind tossing one back with Ron Paul in an apolitical setting. When not debating or politicking he seems calm and comfortable with himself.

Sasha and Malia Obama are delightful as first daughters. Chelsea Clinton and Meghan McCain are both cute as well.

Originally Posted by Zacha3;Yeah, he [[Cain) really never had a chance, but many were to playing 'polite' to admit it. He has too, too many allegations that are too 'Clinton'equist to ignore.

Are you kidding? Cain never demonstrated one quarter of Clinton's brain power or have you forgotten Cain's embarassing attempt to remember something about Libya? Libya was just another "U-beki-beki-stan-stan" to Cain. Doesn't a candidate have to exhibit any knowledge of issues for you?

Clinton discusses his latest book, "Back to Work" here.

http://www.booktv.org/Program/13021/Interview+with+former+President+Bill+Clinton+Back+ to+Work+Why+We+Need+Smart+Government+for+a+Strong+ Economy.aspx
    Last edited by maxx; December-01-11 at 01:36 PM.

TKShreve :It is blind, unrelenting resistance such as this that has forever turned me off from the GOP.
    Their refusal to compromise at all reminds me of the mindset of fundamentalists who don't want to be bothered with facts because their minds are already made up. Compromise has become a mortal sin among Republicans. It beats me why anyone would vote for people who want to destroy Soc. Sec. and Medicare and who are ready to do over again the deregulation boondoggle that nearly destroyed our economy.

But are you buying the cookbook?

As far as Christmas cheer goes, I actually like Ron Paul too. I just couldn't see his ideas working as president.
    But the cookbook is actually kind of funny.

Attachment 11353

I love this quote from Gingrich from yesterday.

Gingrich declined to answer, admitting he did not know all the facts about the issue. Gingrich said he would inform himself on the issue, and then joked, “One of the real changes that comes when you start running for president – as opposed to being an analyst on Fox – is I have to actually know what I’m talking about.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    But are you buying the cookbook?
    No, we have plenty of cookbooks but I have purchased enough 8 fold RP brochures to reach out to every Republican super voter in one Iowa precinct by mail. This is such a long shot candidacy but the alternative is something like Gingrich, Romney, or more Hope if I don't try to do something.

old guy" Good quote by Gingrich. He, at least, would make a good debate partner of Obama.

edited to ad:

The Republican Jewish Coalition is barring Ron Paul from participating in a debate with the other Republican contenders in the federally owned Ronald Reagan Library. Besides not being neocon enough, I rhetorically wonder what other sorts of discrimination are allowed on federal premises. Full story at http://reason.com/blog/2011/12/01/re...n-bars-ron-pau
    Last edited by oladub; December-01-11 at 06:56 PM.

Republican John Danforth, who served as a senator from Missouri for nearly 20 years and later as George W. Bush’s ambassador the United Nations, is not happy with the slate of Republican presidential candidates. “I’ve been watching some of these Republican debates and they’re just terrible. Terrible,” he told KTRS in St. Louis yesterday. “It’s embarrassing for me as a Republican to watch this stuff,” he added, calling out audiences for applauding the candidates’ morbid boastings. Via Fired Up Missouri:
    DANFORTH: What have been the big applause lines in these debates? Well, a statement that the governor of Texas is responsible for killing 234 people on death row. Or that we favor torture. Or that we’re creating a fence on the Mexican border that electrocutes people when they try to cross it. Or when people show up at the emergency room at hospitals and they’re not insured don’t treat them. And that, I mean these are the big applause lines, people just hoop and holler when they hear all that. [...]

It doesn’t have anything to do with the republican party that I was a part of. This is just totally different. And all of these people who are saying this, y’know, and claiming that, y’know, they’re for all this stuff, they also sort of ostentatiously say, “Oh, we’re very religious people. We really, we’re just very pious, Christian people.” They were for torture, and electrocution of the people on along the border and all of that. That doesn’t have anything to do with, is contrary to the Christianity that I understand.
    Danforth is an ordained Episcopal priest.

Electing those into government who promote the idea that "people elected into government will cause harm" seems very much like putting a fox in charge of a henhouse because it salivates so much whenever it sees a chicken.

lit joe Guest

And killing farmers on the border is your idea of good goverment?
    Last edited by lit joe; December-01-11 at 09:34 PM.

Commentary: Political parties are the problem in America
    Watching the shameful spectacle in our nation's capital masquerading as a national government, I cannot help but be reminded of George Washington's dire warning about political parties.
    In his farewell address to the nation, Washington forcefully warned the country that "political parties serve to organize faction, to give it an artificial and extraordinary force; to put, in the place of the delegated will of the nation the will of a party, often a small but artful and enterprising minority of the community [[resulting in) ill-concerted and incongruous projects . . . they are likely . . . to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government."
    I cannot imagine a more prescient description of our nation's sorry state of affairs.
    What makes the situation more infuriating is that 70 to 80 percent of Americans think the federal deficit should be reduced by cutting expenses a lot and raising taxes a little.
    Why is it, then, that Congress continues to defy the will of the American people? It's actually pretty simple. The minority who believe the deficit should be solved either by solely cutting expenses or raising taxes are the voters who dominate the primaries of the Democratic and Republican parties. It is these voters who give us nothing but ideologues, incapable of compromise.
    For meaningful change, we're going to have to return to the Founders' view of political parties. Instead of being proud to be associated with a political party, it should be an embarrassment. After the debacle with the supercommittee, that sentiment should not be much of a stretch.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20111201/...#ixzz1fNE7DqUz

In the beginning of this nation even parties didn't keep the President and V. Pres. from having different political philosophies. The main problem today is the money that is allowed to corrupt our gov. Sup. Ct. Justice Kennedy even mentioned the corrupting influence of money in another decision. Why he voted for Cit.U. is a mystery to me.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    Their refusal to compromise at all reminds me of the mindset of fundamentalists who don't want to be bothered with facts because their minds are already made up. Compromise has become a mortal sin among Republicans. It beats me why anyone would vote for people who want to destroy Soc. Sec. and Medicare and who are ready to do over again the deregulation boondoggle that nearly destroyed our economy.
    And yet the dreaded compromise is exactly what will be required of the primary voters. Values will be compromised to champion Newt. Defending compromise has already shaped up. Note warnings from Gov. Haley Barbour on the Laura Ingraham show -

“Our people have to understand that we can’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good. We’ve got to make real progress here for the American people…”

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    As far as Christmas cheer goes, I actually like Ron Paul too. I just couldn't see his ideas working as president.
    But the cookbook is actually kind of funny.

Name:  paulcookbook.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  48.8 KB
    Great copy for the recipes .

The Republican Jewish Coalition is barring Ron Paul from participating in a debate with the other Republican contenders in the federally owned Ronald Reagan Library. Besides not being neocon enough, I rhetorically wonder what other sorts of discrimination are allowed on federal premises. Full story at http://reason.com/blog/2011/12/01/re...n-bars-ron-pau
    Some of the other candidates could formally protest on, ahem, principle .

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    Commentary: Political parties are the problem in America
    Watching the shameful spectacle in our nation's capital masquerading as a national government, I cannot help but be reminded of George Washington's dire warning about political parties.
    In his farewell address to the nation, Washington forcefully warned the country that "political parties serve to organize faction, to give it an artificial and extraordinary force; to put, in the place of the delegated will of the nation the will of a party, often a small but artful and enterprising minority of the community [[resulting in) ill-concerted and incongruous projects . . . they are likely . . . to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government."
    I cannot imagine a more prescient description of our nation's sorry state of affairs.
    What makes the situation more infuriating is that 70 to 80 percent of Americans think the federal deficit should be reduced by cutting expenses a lot and raising taxes a little.
    Why is it, then, that Congress continues to defy the will of the American people? It's actually pretty simple. The minority who believe the deficit should be solved either by solely cutting expenses or raising taxes are the voters who dominate the primaries of the Democratic and Republican parties. It is these voters who give us nothing but ideologues, incapable of compromise.
    For meaningful change, we're going to have to return to the Founders' view of political parties. Instead of being proud to be associated with a political party, it should be an embarrassment. After the debacle with the supercommittee, that sentiment should not be much of a stretch.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20111201/...#ixzz1fNE7DqUz
    I for one would surely enjoy learning about a feasible, strategic plan on just how to accomplish the red highlighted and underlined part of the above post. How long would such an effort take? Who would lead it?

Well folks, the Cain train is about to come to a halt. The book tour is coming to an end. His sexual issues are starting to affect his book sales.

What ! You didn't think he was really running for president did you ?

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Well folks, the Cain train is about to come to a halt. The book tour is coming to an end. His sexual issues are starting to affect his book sales.

What ! You didn't think he was really running for president did you ?
    I see you've flip flopped. Yesterday you had him running for office but today he never was;

"Understanding that people are human and will do things such as cheat on their spouse here's why I have a problem with what Cain did. First of all smart people know once they run for public office their lives becomes an open book and the skeletons start rolling out of the closet. Knowing that they should anticipate that their booty call from the past will start talking. He needed to figure out how he was going to get on top of that before it was ever made public, and if you know you can't spin it in such a way that it makes sense to potential voters you should never run for office."

But still as you say everybody's human so you're excused.
    Last edited by coracle; December-03-11 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    I see you've flip flopped since yesterday when your opinion was;

"Understanding that people are human and will do things such as cheat on their spouse here's why I have a problem with what Cain did. First of all smart people know once they run for public office their lives becomes an open book and the skeletons start rolling out of the closet. Knowing that they should anticipate that their booty call from the past will start talking. He needed to figure out how he was going to get on top of that before it was ever made public, and if you know you can't spin it in such a way that it makes sense to potential voters you should never run for office."

But still as you say everybody's human so you're excused.
    That was when I realized that he was on a book tour and not running for president because if he was, he would have done the above.
    Last edited by firstandten; December-03-11 at 09:25 AM.

Good recovery and plausible excuse [[but still at least a little - Gotcha!)

Herman Cain the pain is gone from the GOP candidacy from president YAY!

^^^^ He had too many gaffs, and hiccups re. crucial policy questions etc. [[that were not given a pass as was the case with now President Obama) so needed to step away from the table. Further, the Ginger woman did not appear to be lying about the long term affair - she needed no teleprompter to read from though she may have received a cash incentive to step forward. Cain is bit too 'Clinton-niqst' before he could even get into office...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Herman Cain the pain is gone from the GOP candidacy from president YAY!
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-04-11 at 11:03 AM.

Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 17 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast