Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I wonder if Irishin Detroit encountered the antagonism and discrimination the Irish immigrants encountered in New York and Chicago? Newspaper ads used to blatantly discriminate against the Irish...No Irish...If youre Irish dont even think about applying for this job or apt....

My uncle and my inlaws [[ who were Irish, Cherokee descent) Settled near Corktown/ Mexican Village area in 18th and Bagley in the 1950s. My Uncle used to worked at La Colema [[The Honey Bee Market) in the early 1960s. My Grandmother had bought a home on 18th and Bagley and sold it a couple years later. Lot a fond memories there.

There was another Irish settlement in the East side of Detroit near Black Bottom area.

Erin TWP. in Macomb County now the East Detroit [[ Eastpointe) Roseville, Fraser, St Clair Shores. The Irish are long one from those areas and the left their marks on street signs and on their East Detroit High School sporting team " The Shamrocks"!

WORD FROM STREET PROPHET

ERIN GO BRAUGH!

Neda, I miss you so.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    That's pretty neat, Ray. Did he specifically leave anything to his 6x great grandson? That would be really neat!
    Nope, nothing to me, but to his kids he left, among other items:
    Fourteen Shoats
    Four Horse Waggons
    Corn Harrow
    Shovels and a dung fork
    Two Looking Glasses
    Silver Watch

I guess the only item I'd crave would be the watch.........
    [[Actually, the inventory is four pages long and filled with fascinating items.)

Carey: thanks for the tip on George Stark. I ordered his book today from Alibris. What a find - although it will probably make me oddly nostolgic for a city long gone that i never experienced.

I found this blog and bog entry about Stark:

http://nighttraintodetroit.com/tag/george-w-stark/

My Irish paternal grandparents settled in Philadelphia's Nicetown neighborhood. Both died in the 1940's over a dozen years before my birth. The men in the family worked at Midvale Steel while the women worked in domestic jobs. All of my Dad's aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents lived in Nicetown. Nicetown, was different than Corktown, because it was a melting pot of nationalities.

I do not have a lick of Irish in me, Mostly English, French and Scotch from the South, with a little bit of Italian thrown in for flavor... My husband however has a lot of Irish in him, his Irish settled in Lenox township in the 1830's and then slowly drifted towards Detroit over the years. He was proud when I showed him his great great grandfather was a moldmaker on the 1900 census [[hubby is a born machinist)

Our Irish came to Detroit and Maidstone, ONT. In early 1840's John Woods and Mary McPharlin lived above their Grocery at 78 Woodbridge and Wayne[[now Washington), today this area is Cobo Hall. The story is they secretly traded with Indians through a trap door. John Woods and many others of the time formed an Irish Society to aid the Detroit Irish immigrants, S.S. Peter and Paul was their first parish and later Holy Trinity[[Mary lived at117 Porter with second huband Patrick Durning). Another Irish parish was petitioned in 1850's called St. Patrick on Parson's in today's midtown. For Irish Catholic burials after 1840 Mt. Elliott cemetery is the place. Check out the history tab on the Mt. Elliot site.
    A great book published for the Archdiocese of Detroit that is good at detailing the beginnings of many early parishes and their ethnic connections Make Straight the Path: A 300 year Pilgrimage Archdiocese of Detroit. Irish farmers also moved to outer Detroit, known then as Redford [[now called Old Redford) where St. Mary's of Redford on Grand River later was built when enough need warranted.
    Last edited by srm0119; October-12-11 at 05:30 PM.

Mayor Cavanaugh was from St. Cecelia Parish, a lot of the people I know of now went to
    St. Leo's or St. Theresa's and then gradually worked their way over to St. Mary's of Redford.
    We settled in Holy Redeemer in the 40's. Growing up only a few miles from Corktown, I only knew Maltese families living there. Of course in those days, your parish was the limit of your friends. .

My Irish grandfather moved to Detroit in 1920 and brought with him his English wife. Both came from Canada. They lived on Stout, near 7 Mile, between Evergreen and Lahser. Pics of my Dad as a child show 7 Mile to be a dirt road in what appears to be countryside. They were members of Christ the King.

German ancestry is the most common ancestry in most counties in Michigan. This map is kind of interesting:

http://wpcontent.answcdn.com/wikiped...cestry.svg.png

My Irish roots are traced to County Donegal in Ireland, where my great-grandmother was born in 1875. The Pattersons left Ireland in the mid 1880s by way of Londonderry to Liverpool. They landed in Quebec via ship after a 13 day voyage. The Patterson family settled in Kent, Ontario. In 1903 they emmigrated from Canada to Detroit. They lived on 12th St in the 8th ward, then moved to the 600 block of Cameron, and finally settled on Linwood in the 10th ward. The Linwood house no longer exists as of a few years ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2