Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hybrid View

Windsor, Ontario

DetroitPole
    I think you misinterpreted my comments, I wasn't calling "them" kids I was talking about the prospect of them having kids and raising kids i.e. children, having kids and then those kids [[their children) attending DPS at some point in the future. Also my greater point was, wouldn't it be nice if "families chose to move into and raise a family in Detroit.

"Eastside, since you invited the arrows...this may not be your intent, but I do find the attitude of "some kids move into the city and then move out when they've grown up" pretty condescending. There is an implication there that these are wide-eyed kids just looking for the thrill of living in the city for a few years and then suddenly one day grab a pair of dockers, a riding lawnmower, a border collie and move to Shelby Township."

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    The Mies van der Rohe townhouses in Lafayette Park probably would not do for a ±23 year old who's still in school or just beginning their career. They are coops and, among other drawbacks [[for that demographic), all require a substantial downpayment.
    This little beauty is up for sale,
    http://www.oconnordetroit.com/proper...401_joli/1.htm

My husband and I are 31 and 33, respectively, and have lived within the City limits for 7 years now. For the past 1.5 years we have been living in Woodbridge. I know that some other posters have written about the crime, but it does seem to have been better even just in the time that we have been here. We had several friends who were victimized in the year or so before we moved, and I was nervous about coming here for that reason. I haven't known anyone personally, either friend or acquaintance, who has been a victim of a crime in the year and a half that we have been here. So, while it's not perfect, I don't think it's as bad as it was.

Also, we have a 2 year old daughter, and another on the way in June, and we have no intention of moving when they are in school. She is currently enrolled in a fantastic daycare , and will go to a private school when the time comes [[probably either Waldorf or Friends). I love having a young child in the City, and the opportunities and challenges that it provides us as parents are exactly why we decided to have a family here instead of running off to Grosse Pointe.

To answer your original question: Woodbridge, because of its easy access to EVERYTHING; ditto that for Midtown; Eastern Market, because it's got a lot of it's own stuff going on, and you could easily sustain yourself there with everything except maybe nightlife; and, downtown, because of the restaurants and shops [[I would even extend this to include the near-riverfront locales).

I know its just a handful of people on a message board but I'm happy to hear about current and future parents who are raising kids in the city. This says lots about your dedication and hope for this town. Most will jet off to the burbs, and i respect that decision but its possible to lead a decent life in this town. Families add a lot more stability than just a bunch of hipsters [[no offense to hipsters, the more the merrier!)
    I grew up downriver where there was NO diversity. Sure, the schools were decent but it was a real culture shock when I got to college.

I get really pissed off when people equate raising kids in detroit to child abuse [[the kind of shit you'll see on the freep forums) Of course the schools are struggling but I'm hopeful that the quality will improve over time. Anyway kudos to all the parents... things will look a lot better in a generation here if this trend grows!

I may still look into Woodbridge If i don't buy a house right away [[unfortunately buying a house there is wayyy over my budget) I get the vibe that it might be one of the coolest few blocks in this entire state. I do have to ask you WB residents though if the parking is as bad as it looks? I suck at parallel parking so that could be aggrevating.

The Detroit ghettohoods are young people to live is:

1. Midtown

2. Brush Park

3. Southwest Detroit

4. Warrendale

5. La Fayette Park and terraces. [[Formally Black Bottom)

If you are thinking of buying a home, I would look into the North End neighborhood, which is everything north of Grand Blvd. and between 75 and Woodward, going all the way up to the Highland Park border.

You can get a magnificent house in this area for under 10k, and often well under 10k. It will need some work, but for the most part all the basics will be in place.

It seems like they're trying to promote most of this area as part of Midtown. The neighborhoods north of Grand Boulevard are the southernmost primarily residential neighborhoods along the Woodward corridor. And once the light rail goes down this area is going to come back in a big way.

I know a guy who bought a house in the North End last year and he's doing fine. There's some blight, but the crime isn't serious. There are a ton of new houses being built in the neighborhood, don't know who's building them.

A friend of mine who lives in Woodbridge recently had a home invasion and was taken prisoner while the house was ransacked. There's just something about Woodbridge -- maybe the combination of carefree young people and the tough neighborhood just beyond it -- that makes Woodbridge a hot spot for muggings and burglaries.

Of course, it's good advice no matter where you live: Stay alert and watch your surroundings.

no! dont tell them about the co-op area east of greek-town. we like the quiet and safe neighborhoods over here.
    LOL.
    I lived in Eastern Market since 1999 and bought a co-op in town square east of Lafayette Towers in 2007.
    Love here! can walk to downtown, eastern market safely. dequinder cut is out my back door.
    yes i do have to drive to bars in cass corridor or wayne state, or can call a cab.

Or become a renter later.

Wife and I moved back 2 years ago we will both be 31 by tomorrow. No kids yet but planning on some in the next year or two. Currently living Downtown but will be looking for a house in Midtown, Woodbridge, Corktown, or the Villages before having kids. We currently don't plan on moving out of the city when they reach school age. I absolutly love living Downtown, it's awesome to look out the window and see the city all around you at night.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzman0077 View Post
    Wife and I moved back 2 years ago we will both be 31 by tomorrow. No kids yet but planning on some in the next year or two. Currently living Downtown but will be looking for a house in Midtown, Woodbridge, Corktown, or the Villages before having kids. We currently don't plan on moving out of the city when they reach school age. I absolutly love living Downtown, it's awesome to look out the window and see the city all around you at night.

If you are interested in living in the Villages [[Indian Village, Berry Subdivision, West & East Village) check out this website:

http://thevillagesofdetroit.com/the-villages/

DetroitDad Guest

Downtown is the best for transit options. Midtown and Downtown also hold a large amount of jobs and schooling options. It depends on where you are going to school/work.

I liked Downtown's Grand Circus Park neighborhood, as it had apartments of all income levels actually overlooking the park. Nothing will beat the excitement off living on Grand Circus Park, in Michigan. Although, the Millender Center is nice on convenience, but you pay for it.

The smartest place in the city for a young person to live [[$$$), would probably be New Center, the Cass Park area, or South Corktown [[gritty industrial lofts, not luxury conversions).

Hamtramck!

Or around WSU somewhere.

Regarding the Hubbard Farms area,

This area seems to be a pretty well kept secret. I checked out a place on Hubbard this summer which was really cool; it was like an old guest house or something behind a normal house. The lady who owned it was very friendly and seemed to be an unofficial spokesperson for the area. She said people were very involved there and often had things like block parties. She also said there was a really cool soccer league with lots of people from the neighborhood and beyond that played in Clark Park.

I also checked out a neat old apartment on WGB within view of the ambassador bridge. SW housing solutions has done a nice job fixing up some apt buildings in the area [[the one on WGB just north of vernor next to the library looks cool) You're within walking distance to the touristy mexicantown district, cafe con leche, honeybee market, clark park etc. One other perk is now that the Bagley pedestrian bridge is there you are a are reasonable walk from corktown and downtown.

It is a shame to see that set of row houses torched though. Theres another set of rowhouses on porter just off of hubbard that is vacant but appears secure...hopefully that gets renovated someday!

I live in Midtown and to me, it's the best part of the city. I love to eat and all my favorite places to eat are in walking distance [[Slow's To Go, Avalon, Traffic Jam & Snug, Good Girls...). Several bars and coffee shops are also in walking distance. My spouse works at the DMC and goes to school at Wayne State - both within blocks of our house. I have a 2 year old and we drive 5 minutes to the Y downtown, not to mention we can go to the Science Center or the Children's Hands On Museum [[both within walking distance) and even the DIA if we're up to it. University Foods isn't the greatest grocery store, but it's serviceable and hopefully Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe will actually open one day [[in Midtown). Things are only going to get better in Midtown and if the M-1 light rail gets installed, it will only accelerate things.

In all honesty the only places in Detroit that I would currently live in are downtown and Midtown. They are the safest and the "coolest". Every other part of the city has a long way to go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2