Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dookie joe View Post
    If Google got 10 employees to all search for "Chrysler 200" at the exact same time at some point Monday morning, then technically they could say that for an unspecified period of time, "Chrysler 200" was the most searched-for item.

I don't know if that's what happened in this case, but I tend to be skeptical of what huge corporations tell me. Same goes for politicians and government in general. I feel I'm on pretty safe ground by being skeptical. If you aren't....well, then good for you.

Stop and think about the definition of the word "unlikely" for a minute.

Google is a huge for-profit corporation? Check.

Google is a trusted source for millions of people worldwide. Check.

Google has access to critical information about people's hopes, dreams, fears, sexual fantasies -- all things that would be valuable to companies trying to sell stuff. Check.

Chrysler wants to create buzz about their Super Bowl ad. Check.

This sort of thing is fairly common: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_bombing *. Check.

Stop me when I get to the part about it being unlikely.

* I got this link by searching Bing!

Blah blah blah... Google.... Blah blah blah... Roundabout/Burger King... Blah blah blah... celebrity endorsements are lazy.... Blah blah blah blah blah...

Methinks he doth protest too much...

Sorry Dookie Joe.... but anyone with half a brain can see that according the Wall Street Journal... [[and not some obscure reference to an unsubstantiated Wiki site... or those 10 people on Google that "supposedly" have all that power to influence everyone...).... the commercial was a HUGE SUCCESS... despite your incessant protests...
    Last edited by Gistok; February-08-11 at 02:00 PM.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...ig?ft=1&f=1001

the article fell apart at the end....some people in this state make it appear we are our own worst enemy

Quote Originally Posted by RaumVogel View Post
    I live in PA. and joke that I'm a foreigner from Detroit..it's not sick. Also, the commercial is being promoted on Yahoo mail's home page.
    He means sick in a good way, like bad meaning good. Keep it moving...

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post

the article fell apart at the end....some people in this state make it appear we are our own worst enemy
    It fell apart because it's true? It is a great commercial, but talking about glossing over a lot of realities. Hell and back? We're not back yet.

Gotta love this part of the Detroit News article:

"More than 2000 news organizations have mentioned the 2 minute gritty reminder of Detroit's rise and fall, and a determination to make a comeback.... the news organizations links have generated more than 200 million hits..."

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post

You mean this?
    "Detroit is a mess. I'm sorry. It is," Calabrese says. "I love the city, and I love many things about it, but overall Detroit is big, heaping, steaming pile of problems. ... If Chrysler wants to make the case for the quality of its cars, that's fine. But it should save the attitude, keep its head down and focus on the mountain of work it still has to do before it can claim to be a respectable company once again. And that goes for Detroit too."
    There is more truth in that statement than there was in the ad.

Mr. Houdini Guest

Feh. That ad is so yesterday. No point in discussing it any further. It's long forgotten by now.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    You mean this?

There is more truth in that statement than there was in the ad.
    It's good that you're here to preach to the choir...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    It's good that you're here to preach to the choir...
    Which choir are you talking about? the one that the Portland ad agency...through the talent agency firm from chicago...brought in from Grosse Pointe to sing in the ad or the Detrotists that can't stop talking about how this ad made them cry because it was such an honest and gritty picture of life in Detroit?
    Last edited by bailey; February-08-11 at 02:27 PM.

As a former[[never an ex) Detroiter who learned how to drive on his dad's 1955 Chrysler Windsor
    Deluxe I really enjoyed the commercial. I especially got a kick out of the shots inside the Fox Theater.
    I went to college downtown at D.I.T. & used to walk past the Fox every day. It was way into its decline
    in the mid-60's. We had a party at our house Sunday & I told our guests about the history & rebirth
    of the Fox. I grew up on the NW side[[Fenkell btwn Schaeffer&Meyers) so the landmarks were very
    familiar. Congrats to producers of the commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Houdini View Post
    Serious question: what about that commercial made Detroiters feel pride? Was there something in there that I missed, something one would feel proud of?
    It asserted the Detroit comeback - as in, that it's real - without much qualification, when the national conversation is seen to be dismissive of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by dookie joe View Post
    * I got this link by searching Bing!
    Bing, in turn, got its search results by stalking Google.

Dookie joe's concept is feasible, you just hire 1,000 Indians to google "Chrysler 200" repeatedly. When you spend more than $10 million on the airtime alone, who cares about paying for a few Indians? But Google selling that service is quite unlikely, in my opinion. They have to know it would get out, and when it did, *poof* would go Google.

If Google says that was the most widely run search, I'll buy that from them.
    Last edited by fryar; February-08-11 at 02:38 PM.

Which choir are you talking about? the one that the Portland ad agency...through the talent agency firm from chicago...brought in from Grosse Pointe to sing in the ad or the Detrotists that can't stop talking about how this ad made them cry because it was such an honest and gritty picture of life in Detroit?
    You're probably asking for a bit much from a Super Bowl ad if you're looking for nuance. This was a counterpoint to the perceived national/global conversation about Detroit, a great way to justify the bail-out. The celebration of the city's resurgence might be a bit premature, there are still budget gaps to be filled and whatnot, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    IDookie joe's concept is feasible, you just hire 1,000 Indians to google "Chrysler 200" repeatedly. When you spend more than $10 million on the airtime alone, who cares about paying for a few Indians? But Google selling that service is quite unlikely, in my opinion. They have to know it would get out, and when it did, *poof* would go Google.
    Chrysler could write a program to drive up their own hits without going through the trouble to pay off Google or a few engineers in India. But I doubt they would because they are probably more interested in knowing how well spent their money was on this ad.

"That ad is so yesterday. No point in discussing it any further. It's long forgotten by now" Au Contraire.
    I saw a 60 second "cutdown" version of the Chrysler 200 spot on TV Monday night. It's a great piece with powerful shots and editing that visually flows. I wish my own name was on it...

just letting everyone know... "Imported from Detroit" shirts are available on Pure Detroit's facebook right now. They'll be on the website by late tonight and in all three store locations by tomorrow.

facebook: http://www.facebook.com/puredetroit
    shop website: www.puredetroit.com

When I say that it's good that you'reHERE preaching to the Choir... what part of that don't you understand??

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    I am in Connecticut with my girlfriend and her family, and when the ad came on in the 3rd quarter I was unbelievably proud to say "this is my home...this is who we are." Awesome.
    Rocko - THAT just made me tear up!!!

What an awesome ad - I also got text messages and facebook comments from friends all over saying how cool it was. My mom who lives in North Carolina but is a Detroit girl nearly flew through the phone to me she was so excited!! Her husband, who is from New Jersey but loves the D, HE even got choked up!!!

I'm a former resident, left 11 years ago next month. I watched the Super Bowl at a rollicking loft party in Soho. Lot of creative professionals there, so they tended to quiet down somewhat when commercials came on since many are in the biz. When the Chrysler spot came on, it was pin drop quiet. As far as I know I was the only Detroiter/Michigander there - and the place exploded with cheers and applause when the spot ended.

Dayum that moment felt great.

Which choir are you talking about? ...brought in from Grosse Pointe to sing in the ad
    Just curious, Bailey... ever been to Grosse Pointe?

DetroitDad Guest

Default Baghdad Central Station vs. Michigan Central Station

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    It seems the only people who have a negative reaction are the cons. Yesterday, the clown filling in for Rush compared Detroit to Baghdad, blamed all Detroit's problems on liberals, unions, and the usual b.s.

These sort of folks want to see the car companies fail because they are scared that if they are successful, they will have egg on their face in light of their opposition to the government loans.

Props to Chrysler for one of the best commercials ever.
    I'm appalled! Detroit is NOT Baghdad!

There are big differences between Detroit and Baghdad.

For one, Baghdad has a superior rail network, which as I understand it, has gone back into full service. Baghdad also hasn't abandoned it's main central station.

Baghdad Central Station's front entrance.

Baghdad Central Station Interior.

Aerial view of the Baghdad Central Station.

Attachment 8787
    A Baghdad rail bridge

gdogslim Guest

It was a good emotionally moving ad. It wouldn't make me go out and buy a Chrysler. It might make me feel sorry for what the D has been through.
    Whats up with the twitching eye thing? i'm kidding relax

So does this mean Sergio is moving the HQ to Woodward?
    That's what I got out of it.

LOL, perfect - and covert the Auburn Hills HQ into the mall it was always intended to be!

I would consider that, though, if I were Chrysler.

Quote Originally Posted by gdogslim View Post
    It was a good emotionally moving ad. It wouldn't make me go out and buy a Chrysler. It might make me feel sorry for what the D has been through.
    Whats up with the twitching eye thing? i'm kidding relax

So does this mean Sergio is moving the HQ to Woodward?
    That's what I got out of it.
    Slimdog... I know I've been not too kind to you in the past for some of your political posts... but I'm humble enough to applaud you for this one....

Bless You....

It would be great if Sergio moved his HQ to Woodward [[hardly likely though)...

But... one question.... who is twitching??

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Just curious, Bailey... ever been to Grosse Pointe?
    yes.

Per rochelle riley's gawd awful article..
    It was that the Rev. Larry Callahan and his Larry Callahan & Selected of God choir kept a secret for a month.Callahan saw the commercial when we did -- Sunday night during the Super Bowl.
    In December, the choir, affiliated with Praise Tabernacle in Grosse Pointe, had just completed a new album, "The Evolution," [[available on iTunes and Amazon.com) when a call came from a Chicago talent agent.
    I have no idea where the GP location of the Praise Tabernacle is... but they claim to be from GP.
    Last edited by bailey; February-09-11 at 08:53 AM.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast