Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

As a former newsboy for the Freep about 25 years ago,I keep putting it off, making that call to say"I WANT TO CANCEL MY SUBSCRIPTION". Yet being a former newsboy and working in the printing business for 13 years I can't make the leap.
    I can say I was never a big follower of Mitch Albom. At times I have read his articles and said the old WTF. It is a new world and them papers are dying , I might be getting old cept, I am getting sick of the amount of paper that gets taken to the recycling dumpster when I get there with all the unread stuff I pay for.Not to bash Mitch, But all of the Freep.But without it I would be unable to answer my Moms questions"Did you see that coupon in the paper?".NO, I gotta look for it"

A long long time ago, he had credibity. Saw a Piston's game once on TV and they got zero fair calls by refs. The following story was hilarious. His outrage at Ernie Harwells firing was outstanding.

Now he is just a hack. Scab worker. Writes sappy stories. I lost total interest when he faked a story. Don't read him.

Vox Guest

I feel that the papers are not failing, we are failing the papers. Their troubles stem from people reading their news online for free. If it were not for these alleged failures this site in particular would be quite devoid of any content at all regarding the reporting of local news. And I find it amusing that both the Freep and the News have apps for the iPod and iPhone. Where is the DYES app?
    And for what it is worth, the whole scab thing is sooooo long ago. You people need to get a grip, really. There are union employees still working there arent there? And I do agree on one thing. Albom is a hack writer.
    Last edited by Vox; February-06-11 at 10:10 AM.

citylover Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Because in this county we have a "free press" which has a bounden duty to expose untruths, not make a career out of creating them along with self-aggrandizement.

To be a journalist is not the same as working at Wal-Mart. These people have a higher standard to live up to.

There are 307 million people in the United States and I bet millions of them are damn fine writers and honest Americans looking for work, unlike scab Mitch Albom. I'm sick of looking at his shit-eating grin; hire one of them instead.
    Well there may or may not be some damn fine writers out there but Mitch has got the gig.Your vicious unrelenting hostility says much about you.....why don't you buy the free press so you can fire Mitch and hire one of those brilliant writers?.............or you could not read him and move on.

Sometimes I read him others times I don't; depends if the topic interests me.He is a columnist not an investigative reporter.There is no doubt at all that he is a talented writer.

I will never understand how one can hate a journalist for fabricating a story [[Mitch), but love one who plagiarizes one.[[LeDuff)

To me, there is little difference.

citylover, your support of Mitchy is curious, don't people get to voice their opinion of that evil little gnome? Yes he has the job, many undeserving people have excellent gigs, that's the way of the world. However, I can't see a single reason to let Albom off the hook for any of his numerous sins, which include his scabbing ways. You can forget it if you like, plenty of us don't.

Actually and unfortunately, there are many days when the only thing worth reading in the Free Press is Mitch's column. Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    Their troubles stem from people reading their news online for free... And I find it amusing that both the Freep and the News have apps for the iPod and iPhone. Where is the DYES app?
    Amazing. Aren't you are reading this forum for free? And if you want our iPod and iPhone app start the download process here.

Oldrefordette, you go, girl or guy

Doubt I have a MEAN BONE IN MY BODY. I have never been a union person but sure don't like scabs. It talks to integrity and he has none.

Fake stories..I Hiss

Do get the paper, the three days a week, they deliver now. But wonder why??? Can't really give credibility to a paper that retains a serious joker!.

Have a personal signed letter somewhere in my files from that jerk. Will happily give it away. Worthless paper from an arrogant ass.

Sappy, crappy insolent sob.

Sumas

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Have a personal signed letter somewhere in my files from that jerk. Will happily give it away. Worthless paper from an arrogant ass.

Sumas
    Hey Sumas,
    Try to sell it on e-bay. You might get some Morrie lover to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    I feel that the papers are not failing, we are failing the papers. Their troubles stem from people reading their news online for free.
    I disagree. I get the paper delivered 3 days a week, & I read it online. Both are pretty scant on the content.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Amazing. Arent you are reading this forum for free? And if you want our iPod and iPhone app start the download process here.
    Funny. I do not read this forum for news. I read it for reaction to news from original sources, for the most part. Obviously from failing sources, as it seems. Go figure. And you should have a paypal account set up for the site. Does clicking on the ads count? And of course you would not have a app. I was only kidding. You usually have to have original content for that. Maybe one for the photos, certainly not for the forum.
    Last edited by Vox; February-06-11 at 09:11 PM.

I'm a subscriber. I'm more liberal. I couldn't stand reading Mitch Albom anymore so I switched to the News. I told them that. It's the same company so my money's not really moving but I'd rather read the News. They've had some good articles about the fire department and about speculators recently. And though I often disagree with Finley, at least he makes some sort of argument instead of just writing drivel. My biggest disappointment with Sunday's newspaper is usually seeing Mitch's smiling face as skim then forget his column.

Man I wish we could write NYT's calibre. Luckily we can get that here too.

Quote Originally Posted by citylover View Post
    There is no doubt at all that he is a talented writer.
    I would contend that is subjective. And you're more than entitled to your opinion of what you consider good and/or talented writing. I'll give you that. But fabricating a story is just outright wrong for any journalist- and for that he should've been fired on the spot. There's nothing subjective about that and it really harms the Freep's credibility on standing up for the truth. It calls into question their integrity. Is the Free Press willing to buckle under and not print an article because it might paint someone in a bad light? Can the Free Press be bought? Mitch's still being employed is there is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what a true free press for the people is supposed to be about.

citylover Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    I would contend that is subjective. And you're more than entitled to your opinion of what you consider good and/or talented writing. I'll give you that. But fabricating a story is just outright wrong for any journalist- and for that he should've been fired on the spot. There's nothing subjective about that and it really harms the Freep's credibility on standing up for the truth. It calls into question their integrity. Is the Free Press willing to buckle under and not print an article because it might paint someone in a bad light? Can the Free Press be bought? Mitch's still being employed is there is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what a true free press for the people is supposed to be about.
    Sorry to say this but whether or not he is talented is not subjective; he is. I am not defending his fabricating.I would point out that both the NY times and the Wash post dealt with this problem on a much larger scale.

What is curious and a bit pathetic to me is the viciousness toward Mitch Albom on this forum.Has he personally offended some of you? I mean on a person to person basis.....did he not repay a debt? Steal your girlfriend?

Don't fucking read him if you all don't like hum but frankly the hostility on this forum tells me nothing about him and a lot about you all.

Mitch, is that you?

I think Mitch started 'mailing it in' when he started doing his 'non-sports' columns on Sundays.

When I was a kid growing up, I woke up and one of the things that got me out of bed was to get the paper and read Mitch's columns. I lived for his sportswriting back in the 80's and early 90's.

I think when he started branching out into radio, non-sports columns, books, and all the rest is when he lost some of his luster.

I still read everything he writes just because the respect he earned twenty years ago bought a lifetime card of reading, but it saddens me each time because his writing is a shell of what it once was.

Lately, when he does write a sports column, he comes up with a catchy sentence, repeats it about six or seven times, and then inserts a few paragraphs between each instance. It's very formulatic.

I wish no ill will on the guy. I hope one day, as he gets older, he figures out that he can 'return to his roots' and spends the last few years of his career exclusively in sports.

I guess I do respect him that, even though he has [[in my opinion) lost his way, that he's stuck in Detroit. Many others, after winning award after award, certainly would have left Detroit for New York or Chicago, but Mitch has stayed. Again, though I don't think much of his writing these days, I appreciate that.

Sorry to say this but whether or not he is talented is not subjective; he is.
    Any time you have an opinion makes it subjective. Some people like him, some don't- it's not a set-in-stone fact that he's universally loved as you may think.

I am not defending his fabricating.I would point out that both the NY times and the Wash post dealt with this problem on a much larger scale.
    Jayson Blair of the NYTimes left and Janet Cooke left the Washington Post. Explain to me why Mitch is still at his post with the Free Press. Both the NYTimes & Washington Post have tried their very darndest to maintain their integrity by getting rid of people who outright lie. The Free Press has not.

What is curious and a bit pathetic to me is the viciousness toward Mitch Albom on this forum.Has he personally offended some of you? I mean on a person to person basis.....did he not repay a debt? Steal your girlfriend?

Don't fucking read him if you all don't like hum but frankly the hostility on this forum tells me nothing about him and a lot about you all.
    As much as you think we decry the Free Press' and Mitch's antics, you just as fervently defend him as well- and on what ground? Does he somehow lord or rule over you somehow? Is he related to you somehow? Are you in debt to him for saving your life? Does he have nude photos of you? And to get back on subject, we've all mentioned why and when we stopped reading Mitch's writings.
    Last edited by smogboy; February-07-11 at 12:07 PM.

citylover Guest

Any time you have an opinion makes it subjective. Some people like him, some don't- it's not a set-in-stone fact that he's universally loved as you may think.

Jayson Blair of the NYTimes left and Janet Cooke left the Washington Post. Explain to me why Mitch is still at his post with the Free Press. Both the NYTimes & Washington Post have tried their very darndest to maintain their integrity by getting rid of people who outright lie. The Free Press has not.

As much as you think we decry the Free Press' and Mitch's antics, you just as fervently defend him as well- and on what ground? Does he somehow lord or rule over you somehow? Is he related to you somehow? Are you in debt to him for saving your life? Does he have nude photos of you? And to get back on subject, we've all mentioned why and when we stopped reading Mitch's writings.
    Let's be honest here smogboy, The egregiousness of the post and times crimes were far, far worse than Alboms.And again I am not making excuses but there are degrees of wrong and those went way beyond what Albom did.

And yes there is an objective measure of talent. I may not like heavy metal music or country music but objectively I can recognize that there are talented artists in those genres.The same may be said of writers.Mitch Albom despite his faults has established himself as a writer. I don't read Albom. But I respect the fact that he has talent as a writer.

Still waiting on the reason for the hostility...........

Let's be honest here smogboy, The egregiousness of the post and times crimes were far, far worse than Alboms.And again I am not making excuses but there are degrees of wrong and those went way beyond what Albom did.

And yes there is an objective measure of talent. I may not like heavy metal music or country music but objectively I can recognize that there are talented artists in those genres.The same may be said of writers.Mitch Albom despite his faults has established himself as a writer. I don't read Albom. But I respect the fact that he has talent as a writer.

Still waiting on the reason for the hostility...........
    Definition of objectivity:

1. ability to view things objectively: the ability to perceive or describe something without being influenced by personal emotions or prejudices

2. accuracy: the fact or quality of being accurate, unbiased, and independent of individual perceptions

3. philosophy actual existence: the actual existence of something, without reference to people's impressions or ideas

The fact that we can like or dislike something inherently makes it subjective, so please don't tell us how it's objective. The sheer idea that we can agree to disagree says it's a subjective. Having a bias makes it subjective.

Any hostility or vitriol is something you've erroneously sniffed out. I've just pointed out the facts of Albom's transgressions as a journalist and the Free Press' lack of integrity by hiring him back. Where have I been mean or hostile to him?

When it comes to journalistic integrity, there should only be the truth. If there are wrongs committed in that, there shouldn't be any degrees of wrong. Regardless if the writer worked for the NY Times, Washington Post, Detroit Free Press or teeny tiny hometown newspaper- all journalists know there's that scared breach of trust that they should never step across by lying.

Conversely, why are you defending him or is your line of questioning just geared toward those of us that don't read Albom's column? You choose to support him, bully for you then. Obviously many of us here don't and won't read his writings any more.

I don't see hostility just honesty from folk on this forum. He is a scab and and fakes stories. I've never been union but this is a union town. Never crossed a picket line in my life. Respect is earned. He lost it in my eyes. He has zero integrity.

citylover Guest

Definition of objectivity:

1. ability to view things objectively: the ability to perceive or describe something without being influenced by personal emotions or prejudices

2. accuracy: the fact or quality of being accurate, unbiased, and independent of individual perceptions

3. philosophy actual existence: the actual existence of something, without reference to people's impressions or ideas

The fact that we can like or dislike something inherently makes it subjective, so please don't tell us how it's objective. The sheer idea that we can agree to disagree says it's a subjective. Having a bias makes it subjective.

Any hostility or vitriol is something you've erroneously sniffed out. I've just pointed out the facts of Albom's transgressions as a journalist and the Free Press' lack of integrity by hiring him back. Where have I been mean or hostile to him?

When it comes to journalistic integrity, there should only be the truth. If there are wrongs committed in that, there shouldn't be any degrees of wrong. Regardless if the writer worked for the NY Times, Washington Post, Detroit Free Press or teeny tiny hometown newspaper- all journalists know there's that scared breach of trust that they should never step across by lying.

Conversely, why are you defending him or is your line of questioning just geared toward those of us that don't read Albom's column? You choose to support him, bully for you then. Obviously many of us here don't and won't read his writings any more.
    You must read more carefully.Nowhere did I say I like or dislike Mitch Alboms writing.I said he is talented.That is an objective measure. And by your provided definition I have not allowed my "personal" feelings or subjective feelings to influence my thoughts.....Mitch Albom is a talented writer you are not gonna get very many, if any other talented published writers to say he is not.

The free press did not fire him for his crime.He publicly apologized. Why the hostility? Or should everyone that commits on offense be chastised and have the full bore of your hostility?

You must read more carefully.Nowhere did I say I like or dislike Mitch Alboms writing.I said he is talented.That is an objective measure. And by your provided definition I have not allowed my "personal" feelings or subjective feelings to influence my thoughts.....Mitch Albom is a talented writer you are not gonna get very many, if any other talented published writers to say he is not.

The free press did not fire him for his crime.He publicly apologized. Why the hostility? Or should everyone that commits on offense be chastised and have the full bore of your hostility?

You've obviously read his columns to make a decision or to form an opinion, right? It's one thing to say he's a writer- it's an entirely different thing to say he's a talented writer. That's where your personal observation/ bias came in hence rendering it non-objective.

Example: It's one thing to say an object is red, it's another thing to say it's bright red.

Using an adjective such as "talented" is debatable because obviously some people her disagree with you.

And just because one apologizes does not make him a trusted source of news any more. You brought up the NY Times & Washington Post writers earlier and they all resigned even after their apologies.

It's a choice I've made not to read his columns. Again, I ask you to point out my hostility towards Albom.

DetroitPole Guest

Aw come on Mitch, you're taking this pretty hard. Its just the internets.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast