Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Again I see no hostility. An opinion is just that. This town has strong attitudes, a scab is a scab. A liar, a liar!

My husband says Mitch does charity work in the city. I said, What? He couldn't tell me.

Did say he was doing something in Haiti and I said big deal, our kids here, need attention. He is a minor celebrity. BFD.

The free press did not fire him for his crime.He publicly apologized. Why the hostility?

Doesn't make it right, that the FP didn't fire him. On the contrary, it's alienated people...
    Why the defensiveness?

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    Wow, no wonder anybody who has the talent to leave this town does so considering the back stabbing Mitch Albom gets from his hometown readers. His writing may be sentimental and schmaltzy but that style appeals to a lot of people and it's won him a national audience. With his embarrassment of riches, Mitch Albom has donated to many causes to benefit those not as fortunate as the rest of us. Can you make the same claim?
    yes, he donates to many causes and promotes volunteerism. good for him, except that he spends more time talking about how much he gives. I've seen him treat people like crap at the airport on two different occasions [[100% of the time I've seen him in the airport), and friends in the bookselling industry think he's a primadonna, he no longer writes, he preaches self-riteous tripe posing as columns.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    My husband says Mitch does charity work in the city. I said, What? He couldn't tell me.
    Each month he has his "Time To Help" projects where he and a group of volunteers work, plus his recent work with a minister in repairing an inner-city church roof. Those are two off the top of my head.

Neal Ruben and most of the other writers crossed the picket line too, as I recall, yet none of them seem to be feeling any wrath.

Wrong, Detroitej72, not "most." Which is why everybody still remembers what Mitch did.

Did Mitch ever talk about his reason[[s) for crossing the picket line?

Yeah in the paper when he crossed the picket line, didn't read. Don't care.

citylover Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    You've obviously read his columns to make a decision or to form an opinion, right? It's one thing to say he's a writer- it's an entirely different thing to say he's a talented writer. That's where your personal observation/ bias came in hence rendering it non-objective.

Example: It's one thing to say an object is red, it's another thing to say it's bright red.

Using an adjective such as "talented" is debatable because obviously some people her disagree with you.

And just because one apologizes does not make him a trusted source of news any more. You brought up the NY Times & Washington Post writers earlier and they all resigned even after their apologies.

It's a choice I've made not to read his columns. Again, I ask you to point out my hostility towards Albom.
    People that disagree are the ones that are precisely letting subjectivity get in the way.Again I can not like someones ability and still recognize it as talent why is that so difficult? If you recognize he has talent does it somehow diminish your criticism of his offense in your eyes? Is it possible for you to be complex enough to say one has talent and yet has done something very disappointing? Or because you don't like him he can not possibly have talent, is that it?

The post and times incidents were on going and wholly fabricated at least in one case. Those were far worse than anything Albom did.

In the final analysis the free press did not fire him and he seems to be doing just fine so continue on with your hostility and pettiness.

How hard is it to understand. As a journalist he crossed a very bad line.

Apologies not accepted. He violated a trust that will forever be unforgiven.

He is doing just fine with his other enterprizes. More power to him. Let him stick to his fiction, radio, etc.

Just saying he is no longer a credible journalist.

Actually feel rather sorry for for him. Pathetic to fake a story and lose his integrity. Didn't lose his job. Freep doesn't care. He's a star!! Barf!

Quote Originally Posted by citylover View Post
    People that disagree are the ones that are precisely letting subjectivity get in the way.Again I can not like someones ability and still recognize it as talent why is that so difficult? If you recognize he has talent does it somehow diminish your criticism of his offense in your eyes? Is it possible for you to be complex enough to say one has talent and yet has done something very disappointing? Or because you don't like him he can not possibly have talent, is that it?
    Uh, why is it suddenly about me? I questioned your definition of objectivity and subjectivity and obviously you missed the point completely. If it'll unwarp your bunched panties, I'll say that he's got talent for doing his novels and the talent he had for journalism- he squandered it with his actions.

The post and times incidents were on going and wholly fabricated at least in one case. Those were far worse than anything Albom did.
    Define how they're worse. All of these people who lied crossed that ethical line of being a journalist. They knew what they did was wrong and it begs the question of why did they do it.

In the final analysis the free press did not fire him and he seems to be doing just fine so continue on with your hostility and pettiness.
    Again, [[must I continue to repeat this to you and get no response?) I ask you to point out where I've been petty and hostile. I've pointed out facts that YOU'VE agreed upon. You're the one making these accusations against the rest of us who choose not to read Albom's columns. I'll also ask again- why are you so fervently defending him? If you want to make it personal, what's YOUR angle?

How hard is it to understand. As a journalist he crossed a very bad line.

Apologies not accepted. He violated a trust that will forever be unforgiven.

He is doing just fine with his other enterprizes. More power to him. Let him stick to his fiction, radio, etc.

Just saying he is no longer a credible journalist.

Actually feel rather sorry for for him. Pathetic to fake a story and lose his integrity. Didn't lose his job. Freep doesn't care. He's a star!! Barf!
    Well said! When one accepted the job as a journalist, it came with certain social responsibilities. Heck, I even remember them from high school journalism! And you're right- he chose to cross that line of fabricating a story. No one forced him to and it cost him a fair amount of readership.

Thanks mr. smog, maybe I am just angry at the whole newspaper industry. Grew up with Mom reading the Free press ams and Dad coming home to the News. It seemed a tradition.

So little crediblity now. A few good stories but mostly junk.

My favorite thought is our kids sitting at the dining room table on Sundays pretending to read with us. They still love to read. Share books all the time. Just wish we had decent papers now.

When he failed to document what Ed Martin was doing with UofM basketball in his Fab Five book, he lost me. How could a journalist not notice the relationship between Martin and the players?

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    Did Mitch ever talk about his reason[[s) for crossing the picket line?
    No one had to ask him. He came right out in his column in the paper defending himself for his reasons. As I remember it, it was to the effect of "I can't take part in this strike because I have a responsibility to my employer. I have a contract I have to honor. I'm still responsible for reporting the news. I have a job to do. Etc etc etc."

littlebuddy Guest

We need to start a protest movement to get Mitch Albom canned. We need to bring back reporters and writers who speak only the truth, like the ones who covered up for sports stars or other famous people back in the day when they drank too much or ran around on their spouse or were really gay,etc. I am so glad that so many in here are perfect and have never done anything wrong in any way and can point fingers at others failings with so much ease. Everyone of us has breached someone's trust in some way, but it seems so easy to lay that aside when attacking others.

I really don't need to know much more than that he sold out his fellow workers in 3 days for a few lousy bucks to vehemently dislike Mitch. I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't see that as reason enough all by itself for many people's intense dislike of him.

But his unbearably saccharine and increasingly lazy writing only make it worse. And then there's his smug, self-promoting, and often arrogant public personality...

citylover Guest

Again I see no hostility. An opinion is just that. This town has strong attitudes, a scab is a scab. A liar, a liar!

Did say he was doing something in Haiti and I said big deal, our kids here, need attention. He is a minor celebrity. BFD.
    Right on! Fuck those kids in Haiti.What do they have to gripe about?.And everyone knows you can only help one at a time.The idea that you could help kids in Haiti and do charity work in say Detroit for example is unheard of.......yep no hostility coming from you Sumas!

Said, I didn't sense hostility on thread, didn't say, I didn't have some. There are kids and people, right here in need.

Designer charities in far off places don't impress me. I say take care of your own back yard first.

Income tax write offs for travel /vacations don't impress me at all. Sumas

citylover Guest

Said, I didn't sense hostility on thread, didn't say, I didn't have some. There are kids and people, right here in need.

Designer charities in far off places don't impress me. I say take care of your own back yard first.

Income tax write offs for travel /vacations don't impress me at all. Sumas

So the idea that charity can be extended to more than one at the same time is impossible?..............

You express hostility; but don't sense any? um ok

Not sure what a "designer" charity is.......definition?

Who exactly is using income tax write offs for vacations etc?
    Last edited by citylover; February-10-11 at 07:26 AM.

Thought I was concise. Apparently not.

Yes !!

I have hostility towards bozos that can't see the need here. I mean HERE!

No I didn't see hostility on this thread. My personal thoughts, have nothing to do with what is posted. i said my piece thats all

Designer vacations are all the rage. Check with your tax attorney. Take a vacation, make a donation and write it off. Have fun!
    Last edited by sumas; February-10-11 at 10:10 AM. Reason: stupid wording

citylover Guest

Thought I was concise. Apparently not.

Yes !!

I have hostility towards bozos that can't see the need here. I mean HERE!

No I didn't see hostility on this thread. My personal thoughts, have nothing to do with what is posted. i said my piece thats all

Designer vacations are all the rage. Check with your tax attorney. Take a vacation, make a donation and write it off. Have fun!
    Concise has nothing to do with it, you are not articulating clearly.

1) As a participant on this thread and admittedly expressing hostility it is logical for me to say there is hostility here..............your personal thoughts have everything to do with what is posted.

You originally said designer charities and now in your latest post designer vacations....I am still confused.....but more relevant is you failed to say who exactly is doing this although the implication is that Mitch Albom is_ you have no way of knowing that of course, it is just prejudicial on your part.

Someone posted about Alboms charity work here in the Detroit area so it seems charity can be done in multiple places at the same time.

Someone posted about Alboms charity work here in the Detroit area so it seems charity can be done in multiple places at the same time.
    Sorry, Mitch, but a single person can not actually be in two places at the same time.

citylover Guest

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Sorry, Mitch, but a single person can not actually be in two places at the same time.

But his money can........

But his money can........
    If money was all that mattered, then people would be admirers, not critics, of Mitch.

citylover Guest

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    If money was all that mattered, then people would be admirers, not critics, of Mitch.

Spare me. The original question of this thread opened the very predictable floodgates of vitriol and hostility.

It fascinates me to see how easily you all spit out the venom.I suppose I should not be so damn naive.

I am neither defending nor praising Mitch Albom.If you all can't see that then there is nothing I can do. My comments are on the hostility toward him based on a simple question initially asked on this thread; whether he was "mailing in his column these days...............................so based on one known transgression Mitch Albom is a rotten son of a bitch and who gives a shit about any supposed good he does because we all know the slimy bastard is out for himself and his tax atty as they take their damn designer vacations together.

Here are some other worthless fucks and god help them if they are doing any charity/ community service work as we can see thru all that shit for the true sleaze-balls they are.

http://catalog.freedomforum.org/FFLi...stScandals.htm

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast