Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I'll second that comment. Austin has some great bars, but nothing like the feel of the Cadiuex. Apart from the Mexican places, even the ethnic restaurants here have that sterile strip mall feel to them. But if you want a place to go to wearing a cowboy hat and your shitkickers, we got that covered.

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    Being gone from Detroit since 1982, I miss places like Cadieux Cafe. Been there for years, used to frequent it quite a bit. Great neighborhood place where people of all ages mixed and got along. Miss true ethnic places like that - nothing like it in Nashville.

Mannekin Pis. Thank you. When I was in Brussels, I bought two miniatures, one for each of our boys. However, they both grew up.

Sorry. Not the miniatures.

Their food is excellent! Had the French Onion Soup, Au Jus, and Belgian fries, yum.

Happened to see an Elvis Impersonator and band last time I was there. It was a, an interesting, experience. Snicker..
    Last edited by Warrenite84; May-13-09 at 07:34 PM.

Was it Eastside Elvis? He's a hoot, and his band is ace.

Love the Cadieux.

I enjoyed the Cadieux Cafe when I lived in GPP, but it was always a little pricey for my college budget. I would swing visiting family through for a chimay and bucket of mussels, if I could splurge or if they were paying. I'd recommend it.

Attachment 1185

New Year's Eve, 12/31/1945, at the Cadieux Cafe

At least my Aunt always claimed this photo was the Cadieux Cafe although the back of the photo has the date and says "at Silverleaf". Any thoughts?
    Last edited by oladub; May-14-09 at 12:28 AM. Reason: added last sentence

Toolbox Guest

The only reason to go to CC anymore is feather bowling. Last time we went for dinner they wanted a cover charge at 5pm! The band was loud and horrible, who the fuck has a band at dinner time? The food was very mediocre and some of the good beer was out of stock. This was after the ownership change, never an issue prior to that.

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
    The only reason to go to CC anymore is feather bowling. Last time we went for dinner they wanted a cover charge at 5pm! The band was loud and horrible, who the fuck has a band at dinner time? The food was very mediocre and some of the good beer was out of stock. This was after the ownership change, never an issue prior to that.
    Wait a few months, you'll be begging for that bad food and shitty beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Cadieux is nice....not in the best location though.
    the location is fine, I lived in the neighborhood. I love the Cadieux and try to get there every month or so.

CapPig, IMO the Cadieux Cafe is worth a visit. I have been long gone from that neighborhood but in the last year or so have gone back to CC a few times and every time my group had a very nice dinner and a very good time. I hope to go back. They have a huge selection of beer and the food is great. I don't normally care for french fries but theirs are excellent. Check it out for yourself, I think you will be impressed.

If you like mussels, Monday night is all you can eat. They have four types also.

Did I read right? Did Paul and Ron finally sell the Cadieux? Does anyone know who they sold to and what the future holds for the place? I worked there in the early 1990's and still have a strong affection for the place.

No, I believe Toolbox is wrong. It is still the same owners. The food is great. I believe they still have the bike team out of there and the feather bowling club is one of the great bargains in the city. Many of these same Belgians on the team go to another location to still do the pigeons.

I have to get up there this weekend for a Stella and a bucket of mussels!

According to their website it appears that they have changed ownership. $8 pitchers after 10pm!!

http://www.cadieuxcafe.com/

Doesn't matter to me who owns the damn thing! Just glad that it's still standing so we can enjoy it!! I will be there Monday night to rule the feather bowling lanes!!

Thanks to all for the insight! Much appreciated.

The place hasn't changed ownership since the 1960's when the Devos family purchased it. It was for sale for a while a few years back, but it didn't sell. Good for us! The owners [[Ron and his nephew Paul aka Eastside Elvis) are 2 of the best people you'll ever meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    Cadieux is a hangout bar, not a dive, more of a restaurant. It's not a place to pick up women, although there are young ladies there, it's more of a casual place to hang with friends. It's a Belgian hangout too, with traditional food and imported beer, and of course feather bowling. The crowd is mostly people in their late 20s and up...all kinds of people. The music leans toward rock and roll, but they have some live jazz as well. Live music 2-4 nights a week, I think they have pub quiz and karaoke too.

I really like it there, but I kind of grew up there and I'm a good Belgian girl, so I'm biased, ha. Bring friends and feather bowl.
    Hutfadumma

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    Anyone out there know the name of the Belgian statue of the boy?
    Mannekin Pis.........My Grandmother told me the story of the boy being some sort of Prince who had gone missing for sometime. Somebody found him in the peeing stance, and that is what the royals wanted a statue of.

Hutfadumma

My favorite and only Flemish I know.

hutferdehutfer!

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Attachment 1185
    At least my Aunt always claimed this photo was the Cadieux Cafe although the back of the photo has the date and says "at Silverleaf". Any thoughts?
    It *might* be the Cad. There's a door to the left of the hat rack now, and the table is where the waitress stand is, but the back of the bar and the tin roof look similar. The picture would have been taken in the doorway to the feather bowling lanes.

Retroit Guest

Whutdafukofer!

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    Cadieux is a hangout bar, not a dive, more of a restaurant. It's not a place to pick up women, although there are young ladies there, it's more of a casual place to hang with friends. It's a Belgian hangout too, with traditional food and imported beer, and of course feather bowling. The crowd is mostly people in their late 20s and up...all kinds of people. The music leans toward rock and roll, but they have some live jazz as well. Live music 2-4 nights a week, I think they have pub quiz and karaoke too.

I really like it there, but I kind of grew up there and I'm a good Belgian girl, so I'm biased, ha. Bring friends and feather bowl.
    Here are the little guys they were my Grandmothers...from one Buffalo to another

Quote Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
    Hutfadumma

My favorite and only Flemish I know.
    Tarkus, that isn't nice. If you say things like that on this website, Lowell might tell you to go skittin in u brouck! I don't speak the language but picked up a few phrases that were said with the proper intensity. The fellow on the left in the photo found on post #32, by the way, is the namesake of Lannoo street, who at one time owned farmland where St. John's Hospital now stands to 7/Mack. The older gentleman next to him is the brother of the founder of VandenBrouke's bar which I believe was on Harper in St. Clair Shores.

Attachment 3630
    -Detroit News 7-28-92

I agree with Toolbox; the food is mediocre and a loud band at dinner time sucks. Beer and feather bowling is the only reason to go, and then only if you're acting as a tour guide.

Oladub - the Silver Leaf Cafe was at 10214 Mack, corner of Hurlbut.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast