Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Whole Foods has been known to move into neighborhoods that they think are on the rise. The one on so-called Lowest Greenville in Dallas, a music hangout with a sort of Woodbridge-like neighborhood to the east is an example. I'd be surprised if they moved in on Woodward but not flabbergasted. I shop there occasionally; it's competently run, but usually it's just too damn expensive.

I'd worry about businesses like Kim's produce, the soon to open Ye Olde Butcher Shop, Avalon and Goodwells should a Whole Foods open in midtown. I appreciate WF and shop there on occasion, but i'd much rather see these smaller independent businesses thrive.

Here are my three questions for the people who are upset about a hypothetical high-end market. I don't mean any subtext by the questions or mean to suggest any answers. But I am curious about how you think your way to the reaction.

1. Do you look at any of these issues with regard to local, independent shops?
    A. Their pricing. Are their prices are the product of value-added service, poor volume, or strong pricing ability due to lack of competition?
    B. Their supply base. Do they themselves buy from Detroit?

C. Their actual economic impact. Are the locals verifiably better in terms of wages, benefits and conditions?

D. Their community impact. If we are encouraged to support a business in the name of community, does it reciprocate?

E. Their owners' political views. If you knew which two of the seven highly-publicized Detroit small businesses were owned by people with extremely conservative or libertarian views, would that stop you from patronizing those businesses?
    2. Given the many Detroiters are shopping at chains in the suburbs on any given day, how would banning chains in the city stop the bleed and the effects on local small business?

3. Do you think the problems [[real or perceived) with Whole Foods' organic program are on the minds of many people?

Huggybear, brilliant and thought-provoking post as always. You've certainly made me think. After all, the Biggby is by no means stealing Avalon's business, and neither is Starters taking anything away from Traffic Jam. Chains and independents cater to different crowds.

For b), it seems like the chances of local sourcing go up significantly with the independent retailer.

For d), there is a sort of critical mass of independent stores where they can't help but reciprocate, by virtue of collectively creating an interesting and unique offering. Breakfast House vs. IHOP, so to speak, but multiplied along that whole block [[or dare I think bigger?).

For e), my two cents are that an individual or small group may be misinformed [[from my perspective) but well-intentioned. Whether or not they are more or less likely to donate to a local beautification org or whatever, fewer of your consumer dollars are likely to go toward heavy-hitting DC lobbyists, for example. In a worst-case scenario, you can pick your poison.

I'm not necessarily convinced yet of the position I am espousing in this post, but I did visit San Francisco recently and the whole approach of having few if any chains worked quite well in Inner Sunset, at least. It could be that less wealthy neighborhoods simply have fewer retail options without the chains, for example. But I do think it's worth exploring, because it goes right to the heart of the idea of competitive advantage, that Detroit may not be all things to all comers, but if you want x, y or z, Detroit's the place to be in SE Mich.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but my guess is there are few options in this regard in the area. Rather few options are available in the country, actually. If a revitalized Detroit does materialize on the backs of creative entrepreneurs and civic engagement, this makes for an immediately recognizable representation of that, so it plays right into some of the regional and national differentiators associated with that idea. It might be crazy enough to work.

DetroitDad Guest

Blog post with decent links on the Detroit Grocery Myth.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Well stated! Indeed... whole foods is not just a 'brand name'! I'd almost forgotten.... he, HEeee!
    Eastern Market is the original Whole Foods.

Whole Foods business plan is usually putting stores where the median household income is 50,000 or above. They are a wolf in hippie clothing...

Quote Originally Posted by DLN View Post
    Whole Foods business plan is usually putting stores where the median household income is 50,000 or above. They are a wolf in hippie clothing...
    The median income in Detroit during the hours of 9 am to 5pm Monday - Friday significantly increases.

Whole foods is not coming to midtown, yet. Why folks in the ghetto want to very expensive organic foods?

LOL! This working-stiff 'ghetto' person wants fresh high quality produce at attainable prices... WF does not fit that criteria and it's doubtful they will come to Detroit any time soon. If you are smart you shop around inside and outside of the city to purchase good 'whole' foods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Whole foods is not coming to midtown, yet. Why folks in the ghetto want to very expensive organic foods?
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-12-11 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    If there was ever a time for this, it is now. Downtown and Midtown are building momentum, and with the recent incentives from the Midtown employers for employee relocation, this could help sway a lot of people.
    an understandable, but simplistic response. no community is made up only of economy, just the opposite. by acquiescing to monsanto, wf is showing they do not understand they exist within a system. they are showing they have no concern for farmers, healthy food, healthy bodies, and the revolving door between washington and monsanto. [[didn't conflict of interest used to piss people off?)

but i'm more concerned for the moment at the assumption by someone in detroit that any development is good development.

Quote Originally Posted by Huggybear View Post
    3. Do you think the problems [[real or perceived) with Whole Foods' organic program are on the minds of many people?
    No, but they need to be. frankenseeds that infect and overwhelm other varieties? not good.

by acquiescing to monsanto
    They didn't. Read the links posted earlier in the thread.

The Eastern Market has been selling whole foods since 1841...why anyone in the city of Detroit would be concerned about Whole Foods coming to Detroit escapes me. Whole Foods stores are supermarkets. The Eastern Market is an experience!!!

I heard that the Christian Science Reading Room is actually being replaced by the Scientologists reading room and that is why it's even bigger than before. Tom Cruise and John Travolta will be there for the grand opening. Due to the volume of Hollywood productions occurring in Michigan, they thought a local Scientologists branch right across from Old Main [[where many film and theatre classes are held) made great sense.

What do you know about the origin of what is being sold in Eastern Market? You might be surprised about where some of those items originate.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideQT View Post
    Eastern Market is the original Whole Foods.

Quote Originally Posted by Huggybear View Post
    What do you know about the origin of what is being sold in Eastern Market? You might be surprised about where some of those items originate.

I guess I could ask you the same question about the origin of the items being sold in Whole Foods.

If you impugn Whole Foods' sourcing by invoking the name of Eastern Market, then you beg the question of Eastern Market's sourcing. I'm not the one keeping organic score. I would consider either of them fine.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideQT View Post
    I guess I could ask you the same question about the origin of the items being sold in Whole Foods.

This is a recurring wishful thinking /urban legend rumor. Whole Foods will come to Detroit the day that a major department store opens up downtown.

Point well stated!
    Quote Originally Posted by swiburn View Post
    This is a recurring wishful thinking /urban legend rumor. Whole Foods will come to Detroit the day that a major department store opens up downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by swiburn View Post
    Really? Given the improvements taking place in downtown and midtown I don't see how anyone could make an intelligent argument that a Whole Food would never locate in Detroit. The comparisons to a department store is just wrong as the demographics to support it are more difficult than a grocery chain.
    Last edited by MSUguy; February-20-11 at 05:51 PM.

I had once thought that a department store would be a good magnet for other stores to relocate to Detroit. I now think that many small viable independent stores would be a magnet for other stores to move into the area. Improve on the stores that are in midtown. Others stores would move into the area. Does anyone know when the Ye Olde Butchers Shoppe will open?

I was in California the other week and visited one of those stores thinking it was a regular grocery store just wanting to buy a case of Coca Cola.

They didn't even have that, instead some natural crap that was susposed to be like Coke

LOL! No you 'aint' gonna find no Coca-cola at WF. Actually I sorta dig the natural pop lines without all the high fructose where you can find them, but refuse to pay WF extra high price for it. But sometimes I just want a sugared-up chemical Coke or Pepsi so I pop into a standard store for that!
    Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    I was in California the other week and visited one of those stores thinking it was a regular grocery store just wanting to buy a case of Coca Cola.

They didn't even have that, instead some natural crap that was susposed to be like Coke

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast