wow, that got torn apart quickly i swear noone can piss all over an idea faster than dyes posters.

I don't think i made any implications that the palmer park area alone is going to bring a half million professionals flooding into the city along with countless fortune 500 companies. Frankly I find that idea kinda problematic [[as in the old days of trying to lure in one giant corporation at any cost to solve the economic woes)

I know my way around the city pretty well and if i had any money to bet I would bet on this to be an up and coming area for a few reasons.

1) few areas in the city have a sizable population of apartments [[i think its an even denser apt population than midtown) This sets it apart from most of the city that is almost all single family houses. Lots of people aren't interested in owning a house. We're seeing downtown and midtown start to fill up slowly but steadily. If not palmer park apt area where would people expect to be the next growth area for this population? We seem stuck with the traditional notion in detroit that once an area sees a decline it can't ever be remade to be successful.

2) Naturally crime seems to be the main concern here. Now lets assume that the police are going to be just as unresponsive as most anywhere else in the city for the time being. However, the area in question is also near palmer woods, green acres, etc many of which have private security patrols. I think it would be plausible that private patrols start here. Since its a small, dense area the apartment owners may even be willing to chip in since if effective it would improve their business enough to offset the expense.

3) as for light rail i'll just say this.... none of us has lived long enough to remember when woodward had viable rail service so while I think it will have a big impact its also impossible to fully shoot that notion down until that time comes. This could in fact be an attractive option for someone who works/plays downtown but doesnt want the congestion and expense of living in the cbd. I know I'd consider it.