If 20,000 people moved into the city next year, I doubt more than a few hundred would choose Palmer Park. It's a huge city and there's so many other places to live closer [[and that are safer for that matter) than 7 miles from downtown.

But, that's all moot. There isn't even evidence that there will be a net increase of 1 resident to the city, let alone 20,000 or even the half a million you'll need. So where are the people going to come from? Light rail isn't going to make a difference unless there's a huge surge of decent paying new jobs that light rail would take residents to from stops along Woodward. Light rail is just throwing good money after bad.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
No, nor does it need to. The Palmer Park area probably couldn't house more than 20,000 people if everything were full, and there are already lots of people there.

Light rail will make the area a little more attractive. If it improves the retail around 6 and Woodward, it will make the area a fair bit more attractive. I have been considering moving to Palmer Park when I stop wanting to live in a house, and the light rail would make me more inclined to do so. That's still several years away, so I'll see what things are like then.