Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default La Vogue Apartments renovation

The La Vogue Apartments located at 225 Merton, Detroit, 48203 appear to be
    under a gut renovation.
    Demolition chutes, fencing, and public funding project signage are clearlyvisible at the property.

A publicly available report listing the $609,000 awarded to the project
    lists the property as L'Vogue Square.
    It also lists ownership by Kathy Makino [[Leipsitz?), La Vogue Square LDHA LP.

CoD City Council’s September 14, 2009’s agenda gives the following
    information about the project:
    “ . . . Six [[6) of the units will be occupied by tenants with incomes at
    thirty-percent [[30%) of the area median income adjusted for family size; six
    [[6) of the units will be occupied by tenants with incomes at forty-percent [[40)
    of the area median income adjusted for family size; sixteen [[16) of the units
    will be occupied by tenants with incomes at fifty-percent [[50%) of the area
    median income adjusted for family size; twelve [[12) of the units will be
    occupied by tenants with incomes at sixty-percent [[60) of the area median
    income adjusted for family size; four [[4) units will be reserved for special
    needs tenants; five [[5) 2-bedrooms or larger will be reserved for families with
    children; one unit will be used by the manager/employee. . . .”

Does anyone have any background information about the project?
    Why this building, why know, is it a bet on light rail?
    Last edited by majohnson; January-29-11 at 04:00 PM.

There are some beautiful tenement buildings over there: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sa...,0.077162&z=14 There's also many nice ones located on Whitmore. They just don't build them like that anymore.

Kathy Makino Leipsitz and her husband Mark are project developers who are responsible for the renovation and construction of many apartment buildings throughout the city. I worked with them along with Detroit Central City Community Mental Health and Cots on a Supportive Housing project for the mentally ill homeless population. Google them to find out about the many projects they are responsible for.
    Last edited by EastsideQT; January-29-11 at 04:36 PM.

What a beautiful building. I'm glad its being renovated.

Ok here I go with my predictions again

I think the palmer park apt district is going to make a major comeback if/when light rail serves it. The area really has some things going for it. First of all Detroit doesn't have many apartment districts and few places anywhere could compete with the architecture found in this area.

The other big perk is that is is right off of woodward and very concentrated plus palmer park is right across the way. My prediction is that as downtown and midtown get more expensive and the light rail comes this way this spot will be very popular with the younger crowd. As it is beautiful apartments are dirt cheap there and I know I would be interested in one if I could hop on the train and be downtown in a few minutes.

I can't say how bad that area is crime wise currently but eventually I could imagine a private security patrol for the area given how small and dense it is. If you could live in a stunning apartment for half the price of downtown [[but a 5 minute trip away) I think many would go for it.

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rencense View Post
    If you could live in a stunning apartment for half the price of downtown [[but a 5 minute trip away) I think many would go for it.
    Five minutes? It's light rail, not the freaking Concorde.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustiner View Post
    Good One...

LOL! Does everything have to hinge on light rail? Ugh... and for sure it will not be 5 minute trip. But main point well taken. Downtown is getting ridiculously expensive. I'd love to see Palmer Park come back to life... the buildings are simply wonderful! This is an area I'd consider living in if it could be rehabbed. Great to see the investment coming forth!!!!!!!

ROTFL! Yeah, I guess the doggone thing would have to stop at least once or twice to pick up riders! Hah... Lest is zip by empty...?

Sometimes I've found myself accelerating driving thru Highland Park on Woodward -- [[just joking!). I don't run lights -- it's a horribly dangerous practice I've observed urban and suburban!
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-20-11 at 06:26 AM.

citylover Guest

Default That's nice

I think the palmer park apt district is going to make a major comeback if/when light rail serves it. The area really has some things going for it. First of all Detroit doesn't have many apartment districts and few places anywhere could compete with the architecture found in this area.

The other big perk is that is is right off of woodward and very concentrated plus palmer park is right across the way. My prediction is that as downtown and midtown get more expensive and the light rail comes this way this spot will be very popular with the younger crowd. As it is beautiful apartments are dirt cheap there and I know I would be interested in one if I could hop on the train and be downtown in a few minutes.

I can't say how bad that area is crime wise currently but eventually I could imagine a private security patrol for the area given how small and dense it is. If you could live in a stunning apartment for half the price of downtown [[but a 5 minute trip away) I think many would go for it.
    Except that not so long ago it was doing well [[Palmer pk apt area) . The Palmer park apt area was a thriving gay area.Apt bldgs were fixed up and people were making the area come back. Then crime came along and people got hurt and of course the cops did very little[[ anti gay?) and so people left and the area went to shit...again.

So forgive those of us who view this with a lot of skepticism .

Quote Originally Posted by citylover View Post
    Then crime came along and people got hurt and of course the cops did very little[[ anti gay?) and so people left and the area went to shit...again.
    Never ascribe to malice what can easily be explained by incompetence [[the administration, not the individual officers).

The police do little about crime anywhere in the city.

citylover Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Never ascribe to malice what can easily be explained by incompetence [[the administration, not the individual officers).

The police do little about crime anywhere in the city.
    The Palmer pk area has been a topic in the past on the forum.I seem to recall that a regular poster back when it was a topic a few yrs ago made reference to a very real and palpable anti homosexual sentiment from the Police.

And where do all the people come from to make it work? In 1950, Detroit had 1.8m people. In 1980, the city had 1.2m. Now it has around 800,000 and still declining.

Light rail from downtown to Palmer Park is going to get half a million people to move back to the city? Where do all the people come from to make this work? And what will they do here for a living if they move back? Light rail is supposed to make all these people come back to the city? It'll take a lot more than positive thinking to bring that area of the city back to a decent state. How about a miracle? The area is so lawless that the last time I drove through there cars weren't even stopping and waiting at red lights--they just drove straight through the busy intersection. Plus, I just don't change looking at the 60 year trend of declining population data.

And where do all the people come from to make it work? In 1950, Detroit had 1.8m people. In 1980, the city had 1.2m. Now it has around 800,000 and still declining.

Light rail from downtown to Palmer Park is going to get half a million people to move back to the city?
    No, nor does it need to. The Palmer Park area probably couldn't house more than 20,000 people if everything were full, and there are already lots of people there.

Light rail will make the area a little more attractive. If it improves the retail around 6 and Woodward, it will make the area a fair bit more attractive. I have been considering moving to Palmer Park when I stop wanting to live in a house, and the light rail would make me more inclined to do so. That's still several years away, so I'll see what things are like then.
    Last edited by mwilbert; January-31-11 at 08:21 AM.

If 20,000 people moved into the city next year, I doubt more than a few hundred would choose Palmer Park. It's a huge city and there's so many other places to live closer [[and that are safer for that matter) than 7 miles from downtown.

But, that's all moot. There isn't even evidence that there will be a net increase of 1 resident to the city, let alone 20,000 or even the half a million you'll need. So where are the people going to come from? Light rail isn't going to make a difference unless there's a huge surge of decent paying new jobs that light rail would take residents to from stops along Woodward. Light rail is just throwing good money after bad.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    No, nor does it need to. The Palmer Park area probably couldn't house more than 20,000 people if everything were full, and there are already lots of people there.

Light rail will make the area a little more attractive. If it improves the retail around 6 and Woodward, it will make the area a fair bit more attractive. I have been considering moving to Palmer Park when I stop wanting to live in a house, and the light rail would make me more inclined to do so. That's still several years away, so I'll see what things are like then.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post

I'll agree the retail around 6 Mile and Woodward could use some improvement. Still waiting for that Meijers up the street on State Fair.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post

Light rail from downtown to Palmer Park is going to get half a million people to move back to the city? Where do all the people come from to make this work? And what will they do here for a living if they move back? Light rail is supposed to make all these people come back to the city? It'll take a lot more than positive thinking to bring that area of the city back to a decent state. How about a miracle? The area is so lawless that the last time I drove through there cars weren't even stopping and waiting at red lights--they just drove straight through the busy intersection. Plus, I just don't change looking at the 60 year trend of declining population data.
    I'm in the city every day. The vast majority [[99%+) of the traffic I see stops for red lights.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I'm in the city every day. The vast majority [[99%+) of the traffic I see stops for red lights.
    Last time I was driving through Palmer Park, I had cars honking like I was insane for stopping at a red light and pass me and whip straight through red lights. That was month ago. Time was around 6-7pm. Maybe they were worried a pedestrian would pull out a gun and carjack them. I don't know. Almost everyone was doing it. It happened at two intersections. It wasn't a yellow light turning red. It was red when I got there and I stopped. They didn't even treat it as a four way stop and stop. They just slowed down a little and whipped right through. Happened twice and I got the hell out of there and back on Woodward because I didn't want to get hit.

bartock Guest

Last time I was driving through Palmer Park, I had cars honking like I was insane for stopping at a red light and pass me and whip straight through red lights. That was month ago. Time was around 6-7pm. Maybe they were worried a pedestrian would pull out a gun and carjack them. I don't know. Almost everyone was doing it. It happened at two intersections. It wasn't a yellow light turning red. It was red when I got there and I stopped. They didn't even treat it as a four way stop and stop. They just slowed down a little and whipped right through. Happened twice and I got the hell out of there and back on Woodward because I didn't want to get hit.
    What red light in Palmer Park? I don't know of any. McNichols, perhaps?

Six mile is a zoo right around there... I avoid six mile due to the lack of any adherance to traffic lights. They might as well turn them off. It gets a bit better nearer Livernois...

[QUOTE=davewindsor;219481]Last time I was driving through Palmer Park, I had cars honking like I was insane for stopping at a red light and pass me and whip straight through red lights. That was month ago. Time was around 6-7pm. Maybe they were worried a pedestrian would pull out a gun and carjack them. I don't know. Almost everyone was doing it. It happened at two intersections. It wasn't a yellow light turning red. It was red when I got there and I stopped. They didn't even treat it as a four way stop and stop. They just slowed down a little and whipped right through. Happened twice and I got the hell out of there and back on Woodward because I didn't want to get hit.[/QUOTE

Being in the city 5 to 6 days a week, in every area you can think of, I see people run yellow lights all the time. I see see people speeding way over the limits, on every street and expressway in town. Like I said before though, when a light is red I very rarely see anyone ignore it and drive right through, almost everyone waits for the light to change to green. That includes any part of 6 Mile Road. I'm not saying it never happens, I just don't see that very often at all.

The area is so lawless that the last time I drove through there cars weren't even stopping and waiting at red lights--they just drove straight through the busy intersection.
    I was there last night and people were stopping at all the lights on McNichols with tedious regularity.

What sort of new businesses could you imagine being currently supported on the east side of Woodward between 6 and 7 mile?

I could see a Honeybee Market and I would like to imagine the likes of a [[ferndale's) Western Fruit Market. As opposed to a fancy food store, I know Detroiters who shop at Western, and I have seen people use their bridge cards there.
    From a conversation with a Western Fruit Market employee I know there food is mainly sent from the Eastern Market. So I assume those relationships and general market conditions control their fruit prices.
    What would it take for someone to open a sizable fruit market somewhere on Woodward?

Also, how does that same area support a fancy water refill shop [[The Refill Station)?
    I am happy the customers have there wants met, but if a water shop why not all the other offerings that one would expect in the neighborhood?
    Coffee shop, pizza, etc?

Lastly, has anyone ever been to the Golden Gate Cafe? Any opinions?
    Last edited by majohnson; January-30-11 at 11:35 PM.

This is great to hear. It's a cool looking building

bartock Guest

...and it is about a mile from University of Detroit Mercy, though I've never heard of Palmer Park being any sort of hotbed for college students [[acknowledging the fact that UDM is largely commuter).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast