Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    DetroitDad Guest

You might be right. Your reasurance is appreciated.

A few things brought this on. The name change was actually advice directly from investors and mentors. I try to keep an open mind towards things, so I am not going to just dismiss their advice, without thinking about it first. My main goal in this business is too bring money into the city, which is a fight in itself. Adding an extra fight on top of that might not be the wisest decision, no matter how badly I want to represent the city.

The rest of this post [[resident name detachment) came about because we are trying to move, and keep getting real estate agents with good reputations, but who keep trying to steer us away from buying city proper. Talking with clients in the past, I have heard such stories, leading me to believe this is a regular occurrence. On top of this, I remember hearing people introduce themselves, and it appears common that many people in Metro Detroit will name a suburb or just say Michigan, as opposed to saying they are from Detroit. Even more so, some Detroiters seem to give neighborhood names when conversing with suburbanites.

PS: In this discussion, I have been refering to regional metro residents as Detroiters. The fact that people are assuming I am talking about only city residents might prove my point.

Quote Originally Posted by rencense View Post
    Detroitdad

I have to say I'm a bit shocked to hear this thread being started from you. Granted we don't know each other etc but just going by your material on this blog I've always held you in high regard.

The whole nature of this conversation seems to be a throwback to the 70's and 80's when everyone was frantically trying to distance themselves from the city both physically and mentally. Everyone has tried to tell people what suburb they are from when traveling and here we are in 2011 and so many still haven't gotten this message......noone from outside a 100 mile radius gives a single beer fart about what little population 20k suburb you're from or where it is. Take a place like royal oak for example; while people in this region might think its an awesome unique place it really is only unique to us. There are tons of royal oaks in the united states. Lets not even start with the troys and warrens which are as forgettable here as they are across the globe.

Look the name choice is all yours but I'm a little disappointed that someone who seems to be a new and positive face of detroit is so worried about old negative connotations. Many of us on this forum believe that we are starting to see positive changes to this city and are eager to support local businesses. I think it might be wiser to try to appeal to this group than the other group.... the other group being all the bills and dianes in macomb twp who have made trashing the city their favorite hobby for the past few decades and besides they are unlikely to venture into the city for a business regardless of what its named.

If you don't have enough pride in your city to stand by its name then I imagine you would be happier somewhere else. I personally have gone with my gut, lots of evidence, and against the advice of most of my friends and family that things are starting an upward trend in detroit. I've realized that sometimes its more important to take a chance and follow your own voice than that of even the most well intentioned relative of friend. I know that for myself I'm more likely to frequent a business that shows a connection to the area than one that avoids it.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    PS: In this discussion, I have been refering to regional metro residents as Detroiters. The fact that people are assuming I am talking about only city residents might prove my point.
    WOW, you're not quite as astute as I would have believed. When someone says they are from "Detroit, Chicago, Atlanta, etc." one normally assumes they mean the city proper not a suburb 20 miles away. Those who live within a 30 county radius are NOT "Detroiters" but Michiganders.

Of course, real estate agents will steer you away from Detroit for many reasons not least of which maybe the lower return on the sales. The same goes for folks who discourage the use of Detroit in a business name. I understand you fears though. But what type of business is it Seanski? Will youse be selling krylon paints or business suits?

Detroitdad,

I understand listening to suggestions but the thing with suggestions is if you take too many of them its not really your concept anymore.

While probably well intentioned, advice like this is rather harmful.

Ironically the Detroit brand has plenty of value. The world over the word detroit has other connotations such as innovation, hard work, culture, musical brilliance, and a positive can-do attitude that uplifts people and wins wars. I guess my question would be, who exactly are you afraid of scaring off with the word detroit thrown into a business name?

A) Anyone in this area, especially the city itself. While there are still a few people that can't even hear the name detroit without foaming at the mouth I believe that is a shrinking number. There are a lot of suburbanites who, while may be happy to stay put in the burbs, still are rooting for detroit to prosper. There's also a growing number of people like you and me who are all in on bringing the city back to health and will eagerly support quality businesses that embrace their city.

B) The United States: True, its no secret detroit is on hard times but most of the country doesn't criticize detroit as harshly as Michiganders. Detroit is not the only major city in the us that has major issues. While detroit gets lots of bad press it still carries some positive weight that is only going to grow.

C) The world: Again still sometimes a punchline but try this: use Detroit in the name and see how quickly your business catches on in europe which for some reason is obsessed with our town.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    WOW, you're not quite as astute as I would have believed. When someone says they are from "Detroit, Chicago, Atlanta, etc." one normally assumes they mean the city proper not a suburb 20 miles away. Those who live within a 30 county radius are NOT "Detroiters" but Michiganders.
    Pot meet Kettle...

When talking with someone "in state"... one usually refers to the actual town they live.

When talking with someone from another state or another country... one would likely say "Detroit"... even if you're from Romeo [[as Kid Rock does)... or St. Clair Shores, as I am.

There isn't some "number of miles" or "political borders" litmus test that people use for describing where they're from.

If someone says they're from Los Angeles... in my mind that could mean anywhere from Pasadena to San Pedro.... or Anaheim to the San Fernando Valley.

When talking to someone from another planet, I just say I'm from Earth.

When they get that look in their eye, I say "Well actually I come from Earth's moon but most space guys don't know or care that Earth has a moon. It's just easier to say I'm from Earth."

This meme will never die.

How about South Windsor?

DetroitDad Guest

Very interesting and good points.

Quote Originally Posted by rencense View Post
    Detroitdad,

I understand listening to suggestions but the thing with suggestions is if you take too many of them its not really your concept anymore.

While probably well intentioned, advice like this is rather harmful.

Ironically the Detroit brand has plenty of value. The world over the word detroit has other connotations such as innovation, hard work, culture, musical brilliance, and a positive can-do attitude that uplifts people and wins wars. I guess my question would be, who exactly are you afraid of scaring off with the word detroit thrown into a business name?

A) Anyone in this area, especially the city itself. While there are still a few people that can't even hear the name detroit without foaming at the mouth I believe that is a shrinking number. There are a lot of suburbanites who, while may be happy to stay put in the burbs, still are rooting for detroit to prosper. There's also a growing number of people like you and me who are all in on bringing the city back to health and will eagerly support quality businesses that embrace their city.

B) The United States: True, its no secret detroit is on hard times but most of the country doesn't criticize detroit as harshly as Michiganders. Detroit is not the only major city in the us that has major issues. While detroit gets lots of bad press it still carries some positive weight that is only going to grow.

C) The world: Again still sometimes a punchline but try this: use Detroit in the name and see how quickly your business catches on in europe which for some reason is obsessed with our town.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2