Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Found my Brookins pictures. The first is from Rossiter facing south towards Grayton. I'm guessing the house you were talking about is not in the picture - probably was on the northwest or southwest corner of Grayton/Rossiter.

The second is from Grayton looking towards the Lakepoint side of the park - the direction from which I usually approached there and hence my name "Lakepoint Park!"

Attachment 2610

Attachment 2611

Will go through and comment on the above posts later.
    Last edited by EMG; November-01-10 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldlady View Post
    If you mean the motorcycle shop...Atlas Cycle...that was owned by Clarence Gest, who lived on Wayburn. The bar was and maybe still is Dex Walter Bar, and it was next to the party store that, among others, was called "Little Joe's". The shoe repair was on Whitehill, behind Ross' Drug Store. Next to the drug store was Gootch's Barber Shop and Joe's Tick Tock Market.
    The only place out of the above that I remember was Dex Walter Bar..."Where Friends Meet." I was never a bar-goer and never in there, but I remember seeing it. I remember the greenhouses that I think were between Wayburn and Lansdowne [[or was it Lansdowne and Whitehill?) and the car wash [[Al's?) on the southwest corner of Whitehill and Morang.

The shoe repair place that my family used was located on the north side of Whittier between Nottingham and Somerset. And I still have a tiger-eye ring purchased in 1977 from Percy Jewelry on Whittier between Lansdowne and Wayburn. There was also Whittier Jewelry between Payton and Riad which had a bigger selection but wasn't as personable in the service as Mr. Percy. Other places that I do remember included Pagoda's Chop Suey on Morang near Riad and I also believe there was Indian Village cleaners in that same general area.

Quote Originally Posted by gibran View Post
    my Aunt lived on Wayburn and Britain late into this last decade and loved her new neighbors as well as all the older ones...The folks who lived right behind him on Rossiter was a ex-navy guy whose stories were salty and very interesting.. I believe he had a anchor in his yard
    Whether it's a true memory or my memory playing tricks on me thanks to reading the above I'm not sure, but I DO seem to recall an anchor - painted white - in somebody's front yard in that area - but I would have believed it would have been on the first or second lawn NORTHEAST of Rossiter and Britain - which wouldn't have put him "right in back" of your uncle, as it would have had to have been on the west side of Rossiter. I'm visualizing a SMALL white anchor, placed right at the corner of the lawn where the sidewalk met the driveway. Sound familiar?

The elms forming the canopy over the streets created such a soft and gentle feeling in the summer..
    ...and maple trees...and elm trees. Though I didn't like them when they ate up my kites, Charlie Brown style, in the springtime!!!!!!!

What I actually liked was contrast between areas with lots of trees and areas without trees. And it was interesting that those areas reversed themselves during the Great Dutch Elm Plague and the subsequent recovery. When I was a teen in the mid to late 70's I remember the corner of Beaconsfield and Grayton as being barren of trees - one of the few places you could actually look up and get a clear unimpeded view of the sky - a wide open space. By the time I left over 20 years later, the once baby trees planted to replace the old elms were grown to full size, creating a shady area there, and the rest of the block had lost many of its trees - a complete reversal!!

Homes seemed large but by today's standards it was a wonder how we all survived in a one bathroom home.
    Especially if you live with a grandmother who spent half the day in that bathroom applying makeup or doing whatever takes women all day to accomplish in the bathroom, as mine did. My grandfather and I both had to resort to using the basement sewer drain as a urinal!!!!

I made a solemn vow when I grew up that I would ALWAYS have at least two bathrooms in any house I ever owned, and I've stuck by it. There has to be at least one where the default toilet seat position is allowed to be UP!!!!

The Halloweens were legendary..wuld fill a pillowcase in two blocks and drop off the bag to get more only to find to my dad "inspecting" the bags..ummm...
    ...and then one year there was an old guy on the west side of my block Nottingham between Britain and Nottingham, who gave out Rolaids as Halloween candy!!! Well by the time we got through the rest of the bag maybe we needed them!

Morang Drive Florist and Greenhouse was on Morang between Lansdowne and Whitehill. Next door, at least when I was small, was Stazak's gift shop, and in the other part of the building, DeRonne's Hardware. There was another hardware store on Morang, down between Lakepointe and Roxbury....Friar's Hardware. And we can't forget Sommer's Funeral Home, the Dutchess Drive In, Sapphire Gift Shop and more that I can't recall right now.

If you mean the motorcycle shop...Atlas Cycle...that was owned by Clarence Gest, who lived on Wayburn. The bar was and maybe still is Dex Walter Bar, and it was next to the party store that, among others, was called "Little Joe's". The shoe repair was on Whitehill, behind Ross' Drug Store. Next to the drug store was Gootch's Barber Shop and Joe's Tick Tock Market.
    Sad to say, Dex Walter's is no more. There is still a bar on the corner, but it goes by another name. I remember walking down to the corner with my Dad on a cold January night for him to buy me my first legal drink on my 18th birthday at Dex Walter's.

more of the old places on Morang, from Whitehill to Kelly, Ross Drugs, Gooch's, Tick Tock Market, [[remember Ruth the cashier?), Sommers Funeral Home, Dr. Heinz G. Simon, some apartments, the car wash, [[Duchess Drive In and Dr. Curtis, the dentist) were replaced by Detroit Bank & Trust, Krupa's - then it was Roaring 20's market, then a stereo place, Saphire Gift Shop, a dive shop, a pizza place, another drug store and a butcher market, next to another shoe place or barber. Across Morang, was the Terrace restaurant, Ervinck's, the MG place, Wooden Shoe bakery, Fran's beauty shop and of course the Chop Suey place.

Wasn't the name of the MG dealer Lang"s. I always thought it a strange coincidence that the name was one letter off from the street it bordered.

While were on the subject of places on Morang, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the A&W drive in that was there for a while. Was that the same site as the Duchess Drive-in?

Actually, it was on the corner of Duchess and Morang, and I also think the MG dealer was Lang. I don't ever remember any A&W there, and I only have a faint memory of the Duchess Drive-in, and can't remember it being torn down. I kind of think it was gone for a while before the bank was built. Anyone remember? By the way, anyone have a picture of it?

Oh that was great ...you guys are nailing it..younger minds...[[been gone 30 years)...

The Pagoda had the best shrimp..to this day I try to compare foods the ones we grew up with...Milroy's ...

I learned to Dive at the scuba shop on Morang

a friend of mine, Larry Stover worked at that scuba place - remember him? also went to Denby and was on the swim team.

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    more of the old places on Morang, from Whitehill to Kelly, Ross Drugs, Gooch's, Tick Tock Market, [[remember Ruth the cashier?), Sommers Funeral Home, Dr. Heinz G. Simon, some apartments, the car wash, [[Duchess Drive In and Dr. Curtis, the dentist) were replaced by Detroit Bank & Trust, Krupa's - then it was Roaring 20's market, then a stereo place, Saphire Gift Shop, a dive shop, a pizza place, another drug store and a butcher market, next to another shoe place or barber. Across Morang, was the Terrace restaurant, Ervinck's, the MG place, Wooden Shoe bakery, Fran's beauty shop and of course the Chop Suey place.
    I had completely forgotten "the MG place" but vaguely remember it now that it's been mentioned. The Chop Suey place of course was Pagoda near Morang and Riad and I posted a picture on this or another thread of the intersection of Kelly/Morang with Pagoda's BARELY visible in the distant background. I had also forgotten about the Wooden Shoe bakery but remember it now. Also in that area and I think it may have been next to Pagoda's was Indian Village Cleaners. I don't remember Ross, Gooch, or Tick-tock but I do remember Sapphire Gift Shop - my grandmother used to like to shop there. I can even visualize the blue neon cursive-writing store name sign in the window. Wasn't Saphhire replaced by an "EYE EXAM" place? And I do mean "EYE EXAM" in big caps because the sign in the window was a big, bold "EYE EXAMS"!

Of course we can't forget Chathams, and the church south of it on Kelly - forgot the name of it? Peace Lutheran? Or possibly Angels-something? [[no, I know it wasn't Guardian Angels which was on the corner of Rochelle and Kelly). How could I forget - that was where I went to vote in my first election, 1980 [[and was SOOO glad to see that incompetent couldn't-decide-anything Jimmy Carter crying those tears in his concession speech when he got rightfully TROUNCED).
    Last edited by EMG; August-06-09 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    Actually, it was on the corner of Duchess and Morang, and I also think the MG dealer was Lang. I don't ever remember any A&W there, and I only have a faint memory of the Duchess Drive-in, and can't remember it being torn down. I kind of think it was gone for a while before the bank was built. Anyone remember? By the way, anyone have a picture of it?
    Unfortunately I don't remember the Duchess Drive-in at all, nor do I have a picture of it. The bank was there for as long as I can remember.

Well, wait a minute - maybe not "as long as I can remember." My grandparents at that time used Detroit Bank & Trust - since well before it became Comerica - and used to have to go all the way to the one on Chalmers near Harper. So at some time I think I remember that Morang one becoming available and from that point on they didn't have to go that far. I just can't remember exactly when it was built.

I do also remember the Manufacturer's bank at Whittier and Kelly becoming Comerica. And I also remember in the early 80's when that corner was reconstructed putting a little landscaped area with benches in front of the bank.

The eye place was called Normandy Optical - completely forgot about that place. It was run by a man with the last name of Casey, and his daughter worked there with him. As I remember, she was pretty good looking. When they closed up, he gave my dad a plaster cast of a 1914 penny he had on his wall - the year Dad was born. We always went to Dr. Curtis for our teeth, his office was where the drive up windows on the bank are now. He closed up his place with no notice, went shortly to Dr. Small, then ended up at Dr. Sloan who was on Morang past Cadieux on the north side. I remember he used to make these little plaster plaques of animals and gave them out to the kids. Now, he was the best dentist I ever went to - I got fillings there and never took any novacane. I do also remember there was a Marathon station on Morang that turned into a Manufacturer's bank, then turned into a day care. Always thought that was a strange course of events.

Laing:: Yes Larry is a name from the past that I remember, but more as a student than a dive instructor. I ran track and Cross-country...Bill Supanich and Larry were swimmers at the time..

EMG love your memory...however while I was a younger Republican [[when they truly were republican) I respect Carter's contribution ..but that won't interupt our budding respect for each others past ...I was sad when Ford Lost...but then I was sad when Carter lost too. ..see some liberals came out of the hood... seriously thanks for the vivid descritions of the neighborhood, I leave the politics out and save that for the other site...

The meat market was on the corner, then came Sapphire Gift Shop, then Normandy Optical, and then the dry cleaner's...which changed names a few times while my mother worked there. The owner for years and years was Carl DeMerjian. Lang Motors also sold the Avanti. As for Normandy Optical, I thought the owner's first name was Casey. Until she died, his wife Marianne [[sp) also worked there. She fell down the basement stairs and sustained a fatal head injury. I don't remember his daughter working there. Casey and Marianne were super nice folks.
    When my mom worked at the dry cleaners, she came out from behind the partition to find a man in a ski mask. Odd, for a summer day. He asked if it looked alright!!! She told him "yes, it looks fine". Then he pulled a gun and proceeded to rob her.
    I am positive there was never an A&W on Morang. I checked with a friend who still lives on Wayburn, and has lived there for all 60 years of his life, and he agrees.

60 years on Wayburn..I would have thought that was a long time [[) but not anymore ...
    If we all remember how rapidly society has changed in many cities...walking to the shopping and knowing the owners...or at least someone...walking to work in your neighborhood..even walking to church on Sundays...

I love Toronto for having the foresight to maintain their city centers and neighborhoods as well as mass transit. Chicago comes in closer to home with their neighborhood centers. But back to Detroit, I was impressed at the number of businesses I saw on Morang a couple of years back [[four)...but saddened at the lost of old familiar ones.

My house was in pretty good shape. However, what was even more impressive was the Basketball goal's backboard was still on the garage...My Dad sure constructed it well...I think most of the neighbors had passed...It did seem tha one of the families from my days were still there..but I couldn't swear to it...it's funny they were the youngest family on the block...they would be in their seventies now...great family, loved them a lot [[even after falling out of touch)...I have an old black and white of my friend and I standing on what seems to be a mountain of snow..but in reality it was just the street snow shoveled onto the strip of grass in front of the Nuber's house.

I know that we had something special in the Denby catchment area..from our adventure to Heilman field to play on summer tennis leagues and braving the high dive to riding to the Library on Chandler Park...Fishing at the foot of Alter to the Johnson's Marina out in StClair Shores...Riding our bikes to the Airport to watch planes and running over to Osborn to support our girl's volleyball team...there never was an adventure that wasn't exciting and I surely appreciate the friends and families that I met along the way ...even though the names and spots are getting rusty...Sad to see old friends that have passed way to young: Mike McCleod and Greg Merideth two great men and a credit to the neighborhoods values and ideals.

Thanks EMG et al for helping me relive these areas...Civic center to Morang Memeories...

Gibran,
    I remember both of them - swam with them. email me, I can't help but think you and I knew or know each other.
    Grumpyoldlady, I remember that robbery. We used to use them - can't believe I forgot to name that place when I listed the businesses. My mom and I were in there the day after that happened - talk about a small world. I remember your mom.

12468_laing.......it truly is a small world. My mom worked at that cleaners for quite a few years, and had worked at one between Lansdowne and Whitehill, too. Can't remember then name of it. ONE of the cleaners was at one time called "Discount Quality Cleaners"....I think it was the one closer to Kelly. The last name it used while she worked there was "Sak's Cleaners".

the more i think about it, Mom and I were in just after she was held up - I remember her telling my Mom about it and turning to the front door to see if the guy was anywhere to be seen, like a grade school kid could have done anything

Well, the Carleton Elementary Class of 63 Reunion was held yesterday at Kavan's. I was unable to attend. On Friday, the reunion committee toured Carleton and took quite a few photos, which I have received in my email.

My friend said the school is nice and clean, and provides a safe place for the kids. Many things have changed. The current principal [[been there 3 years), had no idea that the old Shop Class room had been used for that purpose. The Home Economics room on the 2nd floor has been split into two classrooms. 3 of the kitchens have been removed, and all that remains of the first is the long counter, sink and cupboards. The library photos made me very sad. The library is filled with new tables and new computers, BUT there are NO, I repeat NO books for pleasure reading! The can look up anything they need to online, but there are NO books. The bookshelves appear to be piled high with papers and binders and DVD's. The art room is now just a regular classroom with the big high tables and stools long gone. The science room Conservatory is bare of any plants or flowers. What a waste of a great space! Looks like the gym floor has been refinished since I posted Carleton photos earlier this year. The Auditorium still has the original wooden seats...some apparently broken. The beautiful wood carvings beside the stage were heavily laden with dust. The stage was piled high with boxes of who knows what. I guess they don't use the stage any more. Again...such a loss for the children. Those large fold down tables in the gym that we used to eat lunch on, now stay in the walls and have posters stuck on them. They are afraid to put them down for fear they may not get them up again. The students eat lunch on some kind of fold down tables in the hallways. Bright Orange seems to be a very common color throughout the building, with most doors painted that color. If there is interest, I will post some of the photos, but have to ask permission for some, since there are recognizable people in them...a well known local attorney, a former U.S. Senator and more.

Of course I'd love to see any photos allowed!! Please, please post whatever you can!

They held the reunion at "Kavan's" ? Was this the one in Roseville? Or the bar that is now at the site of what USED to be Kavan's at Morang and Nottingham?

So - no art room. They went back to the basics and eliminated art to stay within the budget?

I don't remember the "carvings beside the stage."

Interesting about the old gym cafeteria tables. And the orange - that must be a new development as I sure don't remember that when I took my own pictures 8 years ago!

The carvings by the stage were above the stairs on either side as I recall. I have photos of the upstairs "band" room, gym, auditorium, library, art room, shop, home econ, hallways, a restroom, the office, big kindergarden and big K lavatory, low drinking fountains and I can't recall what else right now. Will post when I can.

The carvings by the stage were above the stairs on either side as I recall. I have photos of the upstairs "band" room, gym, auditorium, library, art room, shop, home econ, hallways, a restroom, the office, big kindergarden and big K lavatory, low drinking fountains and I can't recall what else right now. Will post when I can.
    LOL!!! So you got the "bathtub sized" round sinks too?? I didn't have the nerve to ask to take pictures of the restrooms while I was there. And now it sounds like I'll soon get to see what the girls' room looked like!!!!!

I sure wish I could get a photo from any Detroit school that still has those big granite [[?) round sinks with the foot pedal thingy. I don't know if the photo I have of the current restroom at Carleton is from the boys' or girls'...from what i understand, the tour went into both, lol.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast