Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

You may have been "the fat girl" but don't assume that had anything to do with it because I was "the skinny boy" but wasn't any better at those exercises either.

Now you sound like a historical figure! "I was there waaaay back at the very first Veteran's Day,.." - LOL. I had always assumed there had been a Veteran's day since about, oh, 1919 or so....

But you mention the noontime dismissal of the school. How could I ever have forgotten that we got a half day off on that day! I honestly had lost all memory of it. Probably because there was no such early dismissal - not even the playing of Taps - at the school I went to after leaving Carleton. But I think the Carleton dismissal was shortly after the 11:00 taps playing - not at noon. Wonder if the teachers had to stay back and work on report cards or something while the students had that afternoon off?

So you only went to Arthur for one year? Arthur was only 7th grade? I had always thought that Carleton went through 6th grade, Arthur from 7th through 9th, and then Denby from 10th through 12th. Of course having transferred after fifth grade I wouldn't know.

The "beanbag thing back and forth" - yes, I vaguely remember, and wonder if as I suspect it was connected with the "relay racing" that I DEFINITELY remember, where we would lie stomach-down on these little flat square go-carts that were barely big enough to support just the abdominal area, leaving the rest of the trunk and limbs hanging over the ends - and maneuver ourselves back and forth across the whole gym using just our arms. That was probably the only activity that I actually enjoyed enough to lose all track of how much work my poor arm muscles had to do to achieve it! And that is especially saying a lot because I was just about always the tallest boy in the whole class so I had that much more upper and lower body to have to center and balance on that tiny little square cart!
    Last edited by EMG; May-15-09 at 03:33 PM.

I stand corrected on my statement about that being the first Veteran's Day. I know better. It was being referred to by my teachers as the "newest holiday", and I got confused. And when I said "noontime dismissal", I didn't mean at 12:00...i meant the regular dismissal before lunch, which I think was at 11:25. I do believe the teachers stayed there and did paperwork. One year I stayed and helped Mrs. Knapp in the Library with the book inventory. I was one of 2 "Future Teachers" assigned to the Library. We had our little felt arm badges with the "FT" on them.

We didn't have those little cart scooter things, but they sound like they would have been fun.

At the time I went to Carleton, it went throught the 8th grade, and Arthur was 9th grade. I know it changed shortly after that. Denby had been a 9th through 12th school until they decided to make Arthur a Jr. High.
    Last edited by grumpyoldlady; May-15-09 at 04:29 PM.

I'm memory-drained at the moment but am still watching this thread in case you or anyone else posts any additional memory jumpstarters! Hope Norwalk posts back with any information he can get from his brother in law!