I remember the "hand" signs! Hadn't thought about them in probably 40 years, lol. In those Carleton photos...the gym sure looks bad...the floor was a nice, light colored wood, and the lines were that reddish brown color. Now it just looks dirty, worn and neglected. The rest of the school looks tacky, too..with signs stuck all over the place...especially the ones by the stage in the auditorium. The risers for the choir to stand on that you can see on the stage look like the same ones we stood on way back when. The seats are the same ones, I'm sure. There wasn't carpeting in the aisles.

Back to gym class....that rope that reached to the ceiling. Very few kids could climb it, even half way up. We had one girl in class who asked to be allowed to try...back then all the girls wore dresses...and she wore shorts to school the next day under her dress. She made it to the top and made the boys look silly.

At lunch time those tables folded down and we'd eat our lunches accompanied by GLASS bottles of milk. Lunch cost 35 cents. Wednesday was always chop suey day, which I hated. I rarely stayed for lunch since I could walk home in about 5 minutes.