Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

anyone else remember those drills they did in the back hall where you had to sit on your "sitting pad", cover your head in practice for bombing drills in the 60's?
    And, anyone know who Will Carlton was?

Here's a link to Will Carleton information on Wikipedia....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Carleton

12468_laing.....When I left Carleton in '63, they were still hustling everyone down to the basement, with the foam sitting pads or pieces of cardboard, for "air raid" drills. There was one set of pipes that was a real pain to duck under..the teachers really had to bend low. Then they would turn off the lights for a few seconds. I was always afraid that there would be "creepie crawlies" such as spiders, roaches, centipedes.

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    anyone else remember those drills they did in the back hall where you had to sit on your "sitting pad", cover your head in practice for bombing drills in the 60's?
    And, anyone know who Will Carlton was?
    I don't remember any "sitting pads." But I do remember the lights being turned out and the teachers going around with flashlights momentarily.

I never worried about creepy-crawlies. I ways always fascinated with the basement and would have LOVED to be able to explore all of it and not just the designated small area reserved for our own homeroom! Of course, I was a lot shorter then. Now I'm over 6'4" tall so there would be a question of whether I'd be able to make my way around there at all!

I went to K there...believe it was Miss Gale 1965/

played many baseball games on the field [[that's a far stretch)...while playing for St Brendan's Summer leagues...

yes I remember the duck and cover drills and trying to figure out the urinal thingy in th eboys room...

Had to comment on Carleton. I enjoy threads like this. Yet when I went back into the other thead with the pix. Carleton reminds me of McKenney E.S. on the otherside of town.
    I went to a one story, eight classroom Lutheran School for 1st -8th. I cannot belive how one can remember where stuff was at a certain school 25,35,45, yrs ago.
    I am a custodian [not DPS] and I work at two schools and would love to think that the kids who attend these schools will leave there with as good memories as you seem to have.

I remember my days at Carleton much more clearly than my year at Arthur Jr. High or the 3 years at Denby. Arthur is pretty much a blur. I can remember a few teachers, but that's about it. I remember a lot about Denby, and most of my teachers.

EMG that corner store brings back many many memories...all my comic books were purchased there...I alwyas thought the apartment/home behind woudl have been cool to love in..but then again as I walked home from many a baseball game at Carlton or Mass at ST Brendan, I would think the apartments on Morang were interesting too...specially the modern looking one...I also remember the old farmhouse on Rossiter...funny what you think of thanks to the kind folks on here.

Quote Originally Posted by gibran View Post
    EMG that corner store brings back many many memories...all my comic books were purchased there...I alwyas thought the apartment/home behind woudl have been cool to love in..but then again as I walked home from many a baseball game at Carlton or Mass at ST Brendan, I would think the apartments on Morang were interesting too...specially the modern looking one...I also remember the old farmhouse on Rossiter...funny what you think of thanks to the kind folks on here.
    I know EXACTLY what old farmhouse you're thinking of - approximately 5th or so house south of Morang on the west side of Rossiter, big white house. I'm not at my home computer now but I'm almost certain I have a picture of that house, and when I get a chance I'll post it here if I haven't used up my space limit yet. [[If I have I'll delete one of my other pictures).

By apartments I assume you're talking about those ones with the aqua painted stripes, between Lakepoint and Rossiter. And I guess the "modern" ones would be the ones with the glass-enclosed four level staircases on Morang near Lansdowne. I have pictures of both of those too.

As for the corner store, I passed by that every day walking home from Carleton - but once across at the light, my path went in the opposite direction - as I lived on Nottingham. So as posted earlier, I went past Maranatha which in the winter was fun as there were those huge snow mounds to climb on.

Quote Originally Posted by gibran View Post
    Now I just had a flashback. Remember the old "Maraldo's" party store which was on the south side of Morang, between Somerset and Balfour, just west of dentist Dr. Aptekar's office? And there was [[still is, for all I know) a big house just west of that store. Of course, it's been a long time since it was "Maraldo's" - have no idea what it is today.

Then on the next block east, on the southeast corner of Morang and McKinney, was Baskin-Robbins ice cream, which later was replaced by I think a hot dog place called "American." I never went there for hot dogs but I sure have fond memories of the Baskin-Robbin days in my earlier childhood.