Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Michigan Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Maybe the recent move to cans by the craft brewers will increase market share. Some of them are making cans only. Not sure why this is. I get the convenience of cans. But for taste, which is what craft beer is all about, it's hard to beat a bottle. I drink some of the mass beers in cans and I can always taste a bit of a tinnyness. Its nice to have a choice, though.
    Cans actually provide better light protection for beers. Brown bottles do a good job but cans are 100% light proof. The "metal taste" you are referring to is not from the beer or the inside of the can. It's from your nose being pressed against the top of the can and breathing in the metal smell. Cans are lined with liner so the beer never touches aluminum at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Bells is very popular here in the DC area due to all the former-Michigan folks.
    Jeff, the brewer for DC Brau, is from Michigan and used to brew at Grizzley Peak in Ann Arbor. DC gets lots of Michigan beer.

When going out to a restaurant or pub I think beer drinkers are willing to pay a little extra for a craft brew because they perceive it as special treat. When at home many probably stock the cheaper national brews.

In my estimation, Michigan craft brewers produce roughly 12 yums to every ONE yuck...and most often, at least at the beer festivals, it is a WOW. There were plenty of wows at the Ypsi beer festival.

THAT is what will grow Michigan beer acceptance, for anyone daring to go beyond Bud Light.

If you know you prefer lighter lager style beer, or if you know you're going to have more than one or two beers in a sitting and the heavier stuff will cause problems, give Bell's Lager of the Lakes a try. Whatever your preference in beers, chances are there's a top-of-the-line Michigan-made product in that style.

The numbers for 2012, which can be found in the Michigan Beer Guide, show craft beer sales for Michigan at 3.9%. Craft beer is at 6.5% for the total US market. So still to many here in Michigan being swayed by mass brewer advertising. I think there are still too many people who think craft beer is all strong flavor and high alcohol. There are plenty of Michigan brewed craft beers that are similar to the mass market brews, they are just made way better and actually do taste better. Now we have farms in our state growing hops and barley, too. Never been a better time to support Michigan made beer. Friends don't let friends drink Bud Light.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4