Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Michigan Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    It's a weird thing about Michigan: Even though it has a great reputation nationwide among beer-lovers, comparatively few Michiganders drink Michigan beer. Maybe it's just the sheer volume of blue-collar Joe six-packs guzzling Bud and Pabst and High Life. But some states really drink quite a lot more of their local beer. I'm thinking particularly of the Pacific Northwest. Oregonians drink a lot of Oregon beer, and about 12.4 percent of all beer sold in Oregon is Oregon-made.

http://oregonbeer.org/facts/

Agreed - I live in Portland now & the beer here is really fantastic. Bells is a great example of a good Michigan brewery & personally I've always like Atwater [[The Vanilla Porter in particular) but the beer here out west is just fantastic. I'm particular to the Rogue Public house down the street from me & the Full Sail Sessions is a high quality lager which I refer to as the Labatt Blue of the PNW.

/fun side note, when I lived in Raleigh - two local bars used Atwater Vanilla Porter in a combination with Framboise for a really delicious after dinner drink

What are they doing differently in Oregon to garner a 12% market share?

I'm seeing Michigan Beers in more places where I'd never seen them before. We still need to ask for Michigan brewed beers in all establishments, even when you know they don't carry any. Just picked up some Shorts Bellaire Brown Ale.

When I was at a bar in Grand Rapids last year, I specifically asked for a Michigan brew, and ended up with a Founder's beer. I always try to support Michigan products when I am back there.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    What are they doing differently in Oregon to garner a 12% market share?
    That's a good question. Maybe they were on the leading edge. Michigan brewers had to work hard all through the 1990s just to loosen the state's restrictions on brewing. I think they had a headstart out there. Also, Michigan's population is a little older and more old-school, I think.

Some good bars for Michigan beer would be Foran's Grand Trunk, Ashley's, Sidetrack Inn, Slows, Berkley Front, etc. I think some of the more unusual places that sell their own product would be Dragonmead and Kuhnhenn.

Don't forget Jerry's Park Bar!

The Summer Beer Festival in Ypsilanti this past weekend was off-the-charts. Two days of tasting some of the best damn beer I've ever encountered...many of the brewer's do special beers for this party, and two hits were a COLLABORATION between breweries [[which I'd NEVER heard of before). Both were available at the Short's booth way in the 'Back Forty'...a new zone for the Festival.

I was talking to one of The Livery's inspirations last night at the Park, and she said they were going to expand their market beyond the Michigan borders...something like 8 states! Look for String-of-Ponies Pale Ale in cans soon.

Also, if you can believe it...I heard at the Beer Fest that one brewer who makes an Indian Pale Ale is building a brewery IN INDIA! My friend told me the couple who owns it called him on his birthday for a toast from around the world! How amazing is that?!

So yeah, the fantastic brewers of Michigan are making a bit of a reach and stretch...and I love it.

This Fall's Festival in Eastern Market will be bigger and even better than the previous two years. Not sure, but they MAY be taking it indoors.

Cheers and more,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; July-27-11 at 03:26 PM.

A shame I couldn't make it out to Ypsi this past weekend. But I'll see you at Eastern Market!!!

The issue with market penetration for micro brews is rather involved and the central issue goes back to the repeal of the Volstead Act.

Before Prohibition there were hundreds of small brewers across the State. Many of them were tied to German social clubs or what we call Brewpubs today. They were neighborhood gathering places for both social and political activities. WW1 soured a lot of folks on the idea of Germans getting together and speaking their language. Combine distrust of the Hun, the Cary Nation crowd, and the Suffragettes and you get a Dry State.

When the Act was repealed the underlining concerns were still strong and that is why Michigan has a Liquor Commission under the direction of some exceedingly arcane laws. One such law is related to distribution and the fact that brewers are not allowed to ship directly to retailers. IIRC, Distributors can only carry certain brands, hence the Bud truck won't carry Miller products and since trucks have limited space the desire to carry hundreds of obscure beers is not in the best interest of the Distributor.

I might be a little foggy on some details, but the bottom line on why microbrews don't have a bigger piece of the pie all relates to arcane Distribution regulations and the local tastebuds which prefer mass market beers.
    Last edited by gnome; July-28-11 at 09:26 AM.

Great history, Gnome. Thanks for that.

I'd argue that tastebuds have little sway in this fight, LOL.

If that were the case, no national brews would sell. Period.

I'd say it is more about comfort. Same dynamic that allows chains like McDonald's to prosper...folks KNOW what they're gonna get, even if it is pretty lame, and usually choose it over the unknown diner next door. I used to be that guy.

Only beer I'll consume beyond the craft beers from around the state is Guinness, but even THEY almost lost me with the Labatt's debacle. Their quality and taste went down considerably during that short time, but they corrected it. Thankfully.

But I'd also say the average Oregonian is more progressive and open-minded than the average Michigander...at least those related to Joe SixPack. Heck, don't they have mass transit there, too?! LOL!

Cheers

During the recent government shutdown in Minnesota one effect was that bars, restaurants and I think retail stores were not able to get resupplied. The state government plays some role in the liquor/wine/beer distribution process. This disruption was cited as a reason why the legislators and governor should resolve their problem ASAP.

While that made sense, what didn't make sense to me is why the government ought to be in the supply chain at all. Take the government out and let one business [[brewer/winery/distiller) sell to another [[distributor or retailer), like most any other industry.

I've lived in states that had much more government involvement in the retail sales of alcohol. What a hassle. Limited outlets, hours and brands. So get the government out of my beer mug.

And stay out of my STASH, too, damnit!

Buying beer in Minnesota is a pain...and the almost universal ban on selling before noon on Sundays is quite telling.

Lingering effects of meddlers...and self-righteous folk who think they know better than you.

That could be a complete other thread...

Quote Originally Posted by 9936Sussex View Post
    He also likes the beer from Motor City Brewery [[they have a place across the street from the Traffic Jam). He likes their Ghettoblaster.
    My favorite beer and it's priced right.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    The issue with market penetration for micro brews is rather involved and the central issue goes back to the repeal of the Volstead Act.

Before Prohibition there were hundreds of small brewers across the State. Many of them were tied to German social clubs or what we call Brewpubs today. They were neighborhood gathering places for both social and political activities. WW1 soured a lot of folks on the idea of Germans getting together and speaking their language. Combine distrust of the Hun, the Cary Nation crowd, and the Suffragettes and you get a Dry State.

When the Act was repealed the underlining concerns were still strong and that is why Michigan has a Liquor Commission under the direction of some exceedingly arcane laws. One such law is related to distribution and the fact that brewers are not allowed to ship directly to retailers. IIRC, Distributors can only carry certain brands, hence the Bud truck won't carry Miller products and since trucks have limited space the desire to carry hundreds of obscure beers is not in the best interest of the Distributor.

I might be a little foggy on some details, but the bottom line on why microbrews don't have a bigger piece of the pie all relates to arcane Distribution regulations and the local tastebuds which prefer mass market beers.
    Thanks for the history lesson! Just to add the three tier system does limit more microbreweries from taking off and really putting their product out there beyond their brew pub. Not that every brewery wants or needs to distribute but to have a better option would be nice. I know of people who literally brew up about a kegs worth of beer and sell it and then do it again and again as they need it or sell it in other states of course. It's called a nanobrewery.

Det_ard- I may be wrong but it seems that michigan is really, really involved with liquor sales more than just setting prices. I seem to remember reading somewhere that retail in a sense is buying the liquor from the state of michigan it seemed. Regardless the state does have a stranglehold on the liquor retail industry.

Distribution is getting better. You can buy Michigan craft beers at Kroger and Meijer. The craft brewers have a lot of great events that craft enthusiasts flock to. But what about those that are brainwashed from advertising by the mass market brewers. I think the craft brewers need to do a better job at educating/de-programming these drinkers. In store tastings will help, and I think a change in the law allows this now or will soon. I'll keep doing my part, talking them up and asking for Michigan beer every place I go.

Distribution is getting better. You can buy Michigan craft beers at Kroger and Meijer.
    I've noticed that too. Meijer has started stocking the Great Lakes Ale brand whose Christmas Ale is to die for.

In store tastings will help, and I think a change in the law allows this now or will soon.
    Sure beats some cheez whiz on a stale cracker that seems to be what you usually are offered at in store tastings.

Classic beer joke: Why is drinking Budweiser like having sex in a canoe? Cuz they are both f**king close to water. Ba-dump bump, ching!

Hhaha..welcome to the Forum, Chalray!

Stromberg2

Bells is very popular here in the DC area due to all the former-Michigan folks.

I looove Founder's, and I can't wait to have this baby so I can drink some good beer again

Youngsters on The Forum have probably never heard of Sebewaing Beer, brewed at one time in Sebewaing, Michigan..The old Golden Pheasant label. If there was ever a more mediocre beer brewed, it has yet to cross my lips. Holding a glass up to the light, a chemist once said to his friend, "I am sorry, but your horse died of diabetes". I can't believe it is still around!

Quote Originally Posted by Alley View Post
    I looove Founder's, and I can't wait to have this baby so I can drink some good beer again
    German advertisement for no-alcohol beer for pregnant women.
    Name:  nova3.0.preview.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  6.4 KB

As to why microbrews don't garner a bigger marketshare I think first and foremost is perception. They assume beer is beer and all beer should taste roughly the same. They have no idea what the different types are. Most aren't willing to do the experimentation necessary to find what they really like. Then there is the problem of microbrews having a limited distribution. Again, people aren't willing to experiment on new brands.

On the positive side, I was recently in the Phoenix area and was happy to see several Bell's brews offered at local restaurants.

Maybe the recent move to cans by the craft brewers will increase market share. Some of them are making cans only. Not sure why this is. I get the convenience of cans. But for taste, which is what craft beer is all about, it's hard to beat a bottle. I drink some of the mass beers in cans and I can always taste a bit of a tinnyness. Its nice to have a choice, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    That's a good question. Maybe they were on the leading edge. Michigan brewers had to work hard all through the 1990s just to loosen the state's restrictions on brewing. I think they had a headstart out there. Also, Michigan's population is a little older and more old-school, I think.
    Portland has the largest breweries per capita in the country. I think there are 36 breweries and brew pubs in the city. I can get a lot of Michigan beers in Philadelphia. You see Bell's, Founders, Dark Horse, Jolly Pumpkin, and New Holland regularly on tap out here. It's nice to see them expanding and reaching out to other parts of the country but it is sad that more Michigan bars don't carry Michigan beers. That was how I used to gauge which bars I went to in Detroit and Lansing. Who carried good or Michigan beers.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast