Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Wow, it's not like Roast invited him in.

The waiter's jokes were likely based on an assumption that you were one of those plucky Detroiters who don't let a single minute interaction with someone who happens to be short on cash destroy his meal. The protocol is to politely decline and carry on with enjoying your meal.

You're the one eating at a fancy restaurant and he's the guy who's about to sleep outside in Michigan in January.

You notified your waiter and either the guy had walked on or they told him to, correct? I don't think anyone owes you more than that.

Now, I don't want to assume you're rich. But if you did grow up that way then maybe you should look at this study to understand why you had such an angry, maladaptive response that is causing you residual discomfort. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/02/fa...02studied.html You may just need to make an extra effort to be empathic.
    Last edited by laphoque; January-14-11 at 09:38 PM.

You are welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    The only time that didn't hold true was if the customer was rude or belligerent or disrespectful to the staff. I don't think this was the case here. I'm with Planner3357. I think the wait staff or the manager should have made an immediate apology, not joked about it gone on their merry way.

Exactly. Customers, no matter their complaint, want to be taken seriously. Not to just be laughed off by some lackey, wanna be comedian server. I would have been taken aback by the reaction for sure!

And to whoever said it above: We should not just expect and accept this type of behavior. Sure, there are many types of people who frequent downtown for several reasons but for Christ's sake panhandling an any private establishment should NOT be tolerated!! If a business does tolerate it then I for one would be one less customer.

Quote Originally Posted by laphoque View Post
    Wow, it's not like Roast invited him in.
    Now, I don't want to assume you're rich. But if you did grow up that way then maybe you should look at this study to understand why you had such an angry, maladaptive response that is causing you residual discomfort. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/02/fa...02studied.html You may just need to make an extra effort to be empathic.
    There is a time and place for empathy. Serving food in a food kitchen or donating to a service organization is empathetic. Eating an awesome meal in a fine dinning restaurant because you can and getting panhandled is not a time for empathy. That is just flat out rude!! Every time a person goes out in public I don't think it should be expected that they carry extra coins and mittens for the cold and homeless for empathy sake.

I do my part by donating money and clothes to Salvation army as I am able to. I don't see it necessary to have to do that also on my social nights out downtown especially in a private establishment.

Walking the streets though is a different story....
    Last edited by adamjab19; January-15-11 at 10:58 AM.

Panhandling inside a pricey restaurant is not acceptable. If vagrants are getting into Roast, they're no doubt in the restrooms as well, and these folks are not all nonviolent.

I was in American Coney Island once when a panhandler started beating on the window, demanding money of us. It was perplexing... what were we to do, get up, walk to the exit, go outside, and give him money?

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    There's a time and a place.
    I got the impression from the original poster, who wasn't going to give nickels to anyone who asked ever, that there is never a time and a place.

Not sure how many enjoyed the ridiculous irony of him then going into how delicious the bone marrow was.

He got his payback already. Look at the title of this thread. It wasn't intended to discuss the situation in general.

Panhandler or not. Who wants their meal interrupted. Hell, growing up making phone calls between 5 - 7 was considered rude because it would be interrupting a meal.

Even further, if you are a good waiter you try your best to time your table visits to avoid interrupting conversations. Don't make this into a homeless argument. The man was rudely interrupted during his meal [[whether it be at home or at a restaurant) and he is not out of line to be disappointed about the situation.

Roast is a fine establishment with a great menu. The meat is fresh, they use high quality ingredients, and the beer selection is fantastic. The bar menu is very reasonably priced. The Roast Coney Dog is delicious.

I can't believe someone gets so upset about such a minor incident.

I've been meaning to go to Roast since Fitch suggested it to Washington on an episode of Detroit 187. Maybe I'll take my parents there to celebrate their anniversary next month.

It could have been worse.

Name:  bluesbrothergcx8.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  22.5 KB

I commend you greatly for showing a ton of class by taking your wife / girlfriend / s.o. to a super dinner at one of Detroit's best places to eat. Absolutely, you shouldn't have been panhandled, never should have happened in that type of a place. Since it did, and you were spending an UNGODLY sum of money on dinner, I personally, would have gave the guy a few bucks to get him out of my face. i know it usually doesn't stop there and they ask you for more. If you're spending that kinda coin for dinner what difference does a few bucks make?

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    I got the impression from the original poster, who wasn't going to give nickels to anyone who asked ever, that there is never a time and a place.

Not sure how many enjoyed the ridiculous irony of him then going into how delicious the bone marrow was.

He got his payback already. Look at the title of this thread. It wasn't intended to discuss the situation in general.
    Living downtown I am faced daily with the homeless. And when I have a few extra bucks or change I spare it.....

The thread was started because one doesn't expect to see this sort of shit at a nice restaurant. It was not to bash on the homeless....

and YES.....the bone marrow was delightful.....I suggest you try it some day...with a nice cab, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    Dude, if you read any of my other posts, you can clearly see that I live downtown, and I do accept the homeless. But not in a fine establishment. This is the whole point of my thread!
    I f you live downtown you should expect it anywhere.....you above all should know this...stop whining because you didnt get something out of it..and dont piss and moan to the GM...

Quote Originally Posted by ja!mz View Post
    I f you live downtown you should expect it anywhere.....you above all should know this...stop whining because you didnt get something out of it..and dont piss and moan to the GM...
    WRONG! No one should expect to be panhandled at a fine restaurant.

Jumping Jeepers. So let me get this straight. If I don't give a homeless person money upon demand, when I'm have dinner in a restaurant on private property, then I'm considered a heartless, unsympathetic fuck?

Give me a break. Let's take another approach. People who give money under the guise of empathy facilitate public shakedowns. It's people like this that ensure that public shakedowns will continue to happen; in turn, affirming and encouraging the shakedown artist to continue their craft.

Let's hold the person who asked for the cash responsible. They trespassed and committed an illegal act. Why blame the victim?

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    WRONG! No one should expect to be panhandled at a fine restaurant.
    In Detroit you have to expect anything....

As a business owner, I've always felt it's my responsibility to make sure that any customers or clients that enters one of my establishments will feel safe and secure while they're there. No one, and I mean no one, is going to go past the lobby, foyer or host area without someone asking them "May I help you?"

Unpleasant experiences come in more than just the form of someone hustling for money. Disgruntled ex-employees, jealous spouses, cheated on spouses and mates just to name a few. It's the proprietor's responsibility to provide a safe, comfortable and enjoyable environment for his customers and/or clients. If I or my employees fail to provide that, an apology and probable comp should be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    Dude, if you read any of my other posts, you can clearly see that I live downtown, and I do accept the homeless. But not in a fine establishment. This is the whole point of my thread!
    Then I am thankful, because if this had happened to a typical suburbanite it would have been enough for them to swear off Detroit for a long time.

A big to do over nothing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3