Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    I wish the Lions and the media would quit putting so much focus on their supposed lack of a third receiver. Regardless of who you put there, in many of our formations he's actually a 4th or 5th option. There isn't that many balls available, and the Lions like a two tight end formation where he wouldn't even be on the field. I understand that some of this focus is because Williams and Puss Johnson have been busts, but I certainly don't see it as any kind of draft priority, especially when compared to other needs.
    I don't understand the fascination with it as well. As much as the pundits also complain about the offensive line, I like the idea of having the two double end set for protection AND having one of them as an offensive option. It wasn't like Brandon Pettigrew and Tony Scheffler were undersized [[both are 6'5") or couldn't catch a ball either. And even Will Heller is more than a serviceable tight end.

And what's wrong with the likes of Stefan Logan or an Aaron Brown if one HAS to utilize a third receiver option? I see the third receiver option almost as a novelty with our twin tight end sets. Sure, one has to have that set in the arsenal but the odds of going to them are probably going to be slim compared to some of our other more reliable targets.

But all of this picking up a wide receiver talk is moot for the time being. This labor lockout thing is maddening. We really can't even talk about the Draft accurately because none of the teams can even talk trades prior to the Draft. At best teams can trade draft picks but not player for picks- so who knows how this upcoming NFL draft will shake out. I think this labor impasse will seriously hamper teams like Detroit who could be very active on Draft Day; it limits a team's options to wheel & deal. As it stands now all teams will really be able to do is pick college kids and maybe trade draft positions- not exactly the bombastic NFL Draft Days we fans have gotten accustomed to.

While this isn't just Lions related. What does everyone think about the punt and kick return rule changes? I think it is dumb and does nothing for the game. In fact I think it could be more detrimental to players health. What say you?

I dont think it makes in more detrimental to their health, but it sures takes some of the fun out of the game.
    In some situations the kickoffs could go higher pinning teams deep. But when a guy like Hester is back there then the kicker will try and kick it out of the endzone. That doesnt help the game.

What are guys thinking about Mayhew warming up to the idea of Jimmy Smith, the cb out of Colorado? His showing at the Combine was pretty weak, and his off-field drug/drink issues are pretty well known. Combine those issues with his Deion Sanders type mouth and I'm not feeling real cozy with this guy. Forever our Leos have shied away from "problem Childs" is Mayhew changing that dictum , will Bill go for it?

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    What are guys thinking about Mayhew warming up to the idea of Jimmy Smith, the cb out of Colorado? His showing at the Combine was pretty weak, and his off-field drug/drink issues are pretty well known. Combine those issues with his Deion Sanders type mouth and I'm not feeling real cozy with this guy. Forever our Leos have shied away from "problem Childs" is Mayhew changing that dictum , will Bill go for it?
    I wouldn't lay too much stock into Mayhew talking to Smith. I applaud the guy for doing his due diligence in at least meeting with the guy first hand. Mayhew could've just gone off of the hype [[good and bad) or just looked at tapes of his collegiate games but he was at least willing to hear him speak, see his body language, look him eye-to-eye, and at least be a professional GM about things.

I think Mayhew's also doing this just to keep his options open and maybe on the face of things, divert attention to what his real goals are at the Draft. I like the fact that he doesn't play his hand too openly. I like his manner of keeping things close to the vest and not divulging anything that some other team could use against him. It's just smart business on his part.

Personally I don't think that Mayhew will select this guy but that's a gut call on my part, but he has to put that fear into other GM's heads that he might. I think he'll be smart about it and get a character guy with talent and not some head case like Charles Rogers or Mike Williams. I think Mayhew's done pretty well with his early round picks so far and will continue to do so. I wish he's score a little bit better beyond the third round picks but the next few years of when we're not going to have those easy early round draft picks will really prove martin Mayhew's draft acumen. Let's see his he does with later picks. How well is he going to draft when he get the 13th pick as opposed to the easy number one picks or the number twos?

I like what Mayhew's done for the most part but drafting for a professional sports team can be fickle business. Heck, just look up I-75 towards The Palace, and while some might praise Joe Dumars for those Eastern Conference Championships and the title that one year, he's still being lambasted for the Darko pick. And as much as we'll always bear the Millen scars, I sincerely hope that Martin Mayhew learned how NOT to draft and build a team from that oaf.

Maybe Mayhew is pulling the magicians' trick of misdirection. "Look here!", I'm interested in Smith thereby enticing teams ahead of us in the draft to pick Smith up while we are really interested in an OL monster.

Its time to boldly pick or perdict the Lions first round pick for tomorrows draft.
    If either the 2 top corners or Von Miller fall to 9-12 I think we possibly move up and take one.
    If not I perdict OT Castonzo from BC.
    Sure a lot of DE's available which would be tempting.
    Slim possibility of Ingram as well

What say you...

The recent news about Smith's behavioral pathology surely puts him in the leper category. Too bad that a guy with exceptional talent is a first class richard. I'm hoping Castonzo will soon be wearing the blue and silver. The OL is in need of fresh blood. Goslar hasn't been the stud I thought he'd be and his rumored micro-fracture knee issue further puts his future into jeopardy; combine that with Backus' 34-year-old knees and the swiss will soon be calling to get their holes back.

The immediate need is certainly at CB but if we can't get Prince Amakamura, I'd save a little money for free agency and get that big dago.

Seeing as how the Draft is coming up I’ve really been holding back and trying to read up on as much as I can from the national guys to the local journalists to gauge their predictions. And y’know what? There are a thousand and one different opinions on who they think the Lions should pick; just look at any mock draft. The fact that free agency is still in limbo doesn’t help and now that we’re not picking at the top of the heap, it’s a lot more difficult. We’re now picking in the masses where anything and everything can change. The one guy that we’re projecting could go in a moment’s notice and we could easily get a phone call from another team asking to trade up or down. Gone are the last two years where it was easy picking up guys like Stafford or Suh; we were early to those parties and had choices. Now I think the brain trust in Mayhew/ Lewand/ Schwartz are going to have to be nimble and agile at the draft table.

These mock drafts are changing every few days. The fact that a risky prospect like Jimmy Smith just came out with more personality issues has tanked his chances of being a first rounder. He would’ve been ideal here if it weren’t for his volatile off field activities. He’s probably the one player I would not want to see the Lions taking with their first pick.

I can actually see the Lions trading down to acquire an extra draft pick or two in this draft. I don’t predict the Lions moving up any slots to pick up someone but again- one never knows.

For immediacy I would love to see the Lions pick up Prince Amukamara because I think he could make an immediate impact and possibly start. The status of Chris Houston possibly bolting scares me here and getting a quality CB would be nice insurance. Getting anyone like a Da’Quan Bowers could be a risk and I’m not so sure if the Lions are willing to take that much of a risk yet. OL players like Solder or Costanzo probably wouldn’t be able to start just yet but I just see the need for a CB over a OL in the first round. I can definitely see the Lions filling this void in the second or third rounds though and keeping them in the fold to develop like what they’ve done with Jason Fox.

I also see linebacker being an absolute position of need for this team as well but all indications are that there might be a decent abundance of them in the free agency market [[whenever that starts up again). Getting a sleeper in the later rounds would nice too but that could be said of any position. I think the Bobby Carpenter experiment might not be over yet and maybe with another year under his belt, maybe even the Caleb Campbell jaunt might not be too bad for a back-up position.

With the lock-out still dominating this will be an absolute crapshoot this year. The Draft will be interesting to say the least. Anything can and will probably happen and I hope that Mayhew/ Lewand/ Schwartz are selecting someone they all feel comfortable with. I’ve heard of how Millen went completely against the scouting staff at the draft table playing his astute [[cough cough) hunches. I have faith in Mayhew though. He’s done well for the most part; some will argue that how could he not picking so early but I also like some of the things he’s done with later picks like Jahvid Best, Brandon Pettigrew, DeAndre Levy, Louis Delmas, and Sammie Hill. The one glaring early round pick that hasn’t panned out is probably Derrick Williams and he was pretty darn good when he was at Penn State too. Mayhew’s style of keeping it close to the vest has impressed me too. While it might be frustrating to the local journalists it’s a smart savvy business move on his part. Why reveal your business plans to the competition? His ego seems intact and it almost seems as though he only seeks the bright media lights when it serves his needs [[which isn’t often). Mayhew seems diplomatic enough when it comes to handling free agency and what he says about this year’s draft class too- which I think is smart.

I still have faith so let’s see what happens this weekend. I’m sure we’ll have plenty to discuss after The Draft this upcoming weekend.

Another well-reasoned and insightful post, Smogboy. Agreed on the Derrick Williams pick, but it seemed solid at the time and remains a head scratcher. He's a guy with a stellar background, fine tools, but no heart... and that is the part that is most confusing. Maybe he could flourish somewhere else ...as other former Lions have.

Come on Smog boy and others , your on the clock, who is your selection.

My Lions Board:
    1st Round: Prince Amukamara cb, Tyron Smith ot or trade significantly down.
    2nd Round: Mason Foster lb, Mikel LeShoure rb, Akeem Ayers lb or Martez Wilson, lb
    3rd Round: Bruce Carter lb, Titus Young wr, Brandon Burton cb, Greg Jones lb
    4th Round: Casey Matthews lb, Greg Little wr, Buster Skrine cb, Edmund Gates wr
    5th Round: Austin Pettis wr, Johnny Patrick cb, Daniel Thomas rb, Ronald Johnson wr

My pick is for someone who is needed in a certain position who can stay healthy. End of story [[or insert name here). Not someone who is best at that position in the draft [[IE. Not the best available at 13).

Nick Fairley? Am I pleasantly surprised? I think I am! Looking at all of the goofy reports and pundits with their mock drafts I seriously didn’t think this guy would drop this far down in The Draft. But I guess that’s what happens when there are four quarterbacks taken ahead of us.

I’m still agog at how a guy like Cam Newton goes overall number one but I guess that’s what happens when he can self promote and smile like that. Along with his stature I sure hope he can back up some of his words, because if not he’s going to end up like what Kalimba Edwards for us- a great physical specimen who looks good but can’t cut it. I’m also surprised by the Titans’ pick of Jake Locker over Blaine Gabbert but again obviously they felt strongly enough of him. I thought Gabbert was the best QB in the lot this year but he’s going to get his shot in Jacksonville. Minnesota also surprised me with their pick of Christian Ponder too, but obviously they’ve got to do something to fill the void of The Favre there.

As far as some of the other players that went before our 13th pick, I sort of had a feeling that guys like Von Miller, Marcell Dareus, AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, Tyron Smith, and Julio Jones might be gone. I wasn’t sure if Aldon Smith was going to get snatched up that early because they play such an odd defense at his alma mater of Missouri.

I thought for sure that Fairley was going to get picked up earlier so I’m glad to see us picking him up. Post Draft interviews with Mayhew & Schwartz seemed as though they both agreed on the pick and were unanimous in selecting Fairley. They seemed genuinely surprised that he was still there and barely spent any time on the clock before snatching him up. Having this guy joining the likes of Suh, VandenBosch, Williams, Avril, Hill and the rest of what was a pretty impressive front four for the Lions will be a lot of fun to watch next season [[whenever that rolls around). Fairley was the clear cut second best DT behind Dareus and was a monster in last year’s national championship.

While my early prediction of the Lions signing Prince Amukamara have gone up in smoke, I can’t blame the Lions for signing Fairley- he was almost too good of a prospect to pass up. It was also interesting to see why Amukamara’s stock drop today as well; he ended up going 19th to the Giants. I knew he had an average combine but I’m also wondering if he just didn’t have any great strengths that would’ve pushed him over the top or made him stand out.

Let’s see what happens in Round Two tomorrow. I'm curious to see if the Lions will now select based upon a little bit more of an urgent need now. These later rounds are what I consider to the the true worth of a great general manager. Let's see how Martin Mayhew does now that the first round dust has settled.

Didn't see it coming and am not pleased it did. Kool-aiders are agog, I'm aghast. Prepare for dink and dunk attacks with flooded flats courtesy of a CB-less D.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Didn't see it coming and am not pleased it did. Kool-aiders are agog, I'm aghast. Prepare for dink and dunk attacks with flooded flats courtesy of a CB-less D.
    I'd hold off judging them just yet. Let's see what else this team does in the next few rounds and more importantly in free agency. Let's admit that the defensive line improved quite a bit and hope that this team addresses those shortcomings at linebacker and CB soon. They've added ONE player via the Draft since we last saw them play a game. I wouldn't say they've taken a step backwards yet.

As long as the guy doesnt turn out to be an idiot it was a great and lucky pick.
    Im not convinced Prince was as good as advertised. Did you know in his career he had only 5 picks.
    The other corner from CO was better but a complete jerk.
    This should give us a D-line that is young and talented. Fairley will give us a great pass rusher. Our d-line kept us in every game last year, now it just got better.
    Still need an OLB, corner and O-lineman!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    As long as the guy doesnt turn out to be an idiot it was a great and lucky pick.
    Im not convinced Prince was as good as advertised. Did you know in his career he had only 5 picks.
    The other corner from CO was better but a complete jerk.
    This should give us a D-line that is young and talented. Fairley will give us a great pass rusher. Our d-line kept us in every game last year, now it just got better.
    Still need an OLB, corner and O-lineman!!!!
    I agree. I look at what our defensive line did for us last year. With their pressure on their QB, it made our secondary that much better. Adding Nick Fairley, a Lombardi Trophy winner- just makes a dominant line that much better. It'll keep the line fresh and to serve notice to all of the other team's offenses [[it makes me wonder if Green Bay's choice of Derek Sherrod wasn't in response to our defensive prowess).

The Lions are hardly a complete product. Again I'm curious to see how the Lions will continue in the next few rounds of the Draft. I'm pretty content with our first round pick. I totally agree that with the next few rounds we do need to address some of our needs. I really do wish that we could've had free agency happening prior to the Draft because it could've altered so much more of individual team's choices.

Of the available talent left that is 2nd round material I see a bunch of quality OLB's. I hope there is one left for us. Besides CB thats a huge need. Would we dare go after the RB from Illinois, that would be a nice fit. Cant wait to find out

I'm pleased with the Fairey pick for a couple of reasons. I think that he has a world of upside but one of the knocks on him was work ethic. With Suh becoming one of the faces of the team, this will push Fairley to gain some professionism.

Secondly I believe that the foundation of your team are the offensive and defensive lines. You must make sure they are strong because everything good that happens for your team begins with your foundation. The Lions just helped there D line but also helped the linebackers and defensive backs because a strong D line makes the linebackers and defensive backs jobs a little easier.

all I can say is that this draft officially puts me into the, you have no fucking idea what is going on, section. I feel like one of the slow kids, just put me on the short bus and let me watch a world where drafting a Mouse Davis wet dream makes sense.

We will lose most of our games in the 4th quarter because QBs are going to throw deep on us and we won't be able to defend.

Can we stop doing the Millen draft and stop drafting the best talent at that position instead of addressing needs.

I love what they have done, the running back is exactly what we needed. We will have an excellant offense that can equally control the ball and go down field. The combination of Best and the new power runner will be awesome and lack of a quality 3rd receiver has been very evident last year. The offense will keep our D off the field more then last year.
    We now have a d-line, running game and receiving corp as good and better then most teams.
    Free agency will helps us in LB and O-line and pray for someone to step up on the DB position.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    We will lose most of our games in the 4th quarter because QBs are going to throw deep on us and we won't be able to defend.

Can we stop doing the Millen draft and stop drafting the best talent at that position instead of addressing needs.
    You're assuming that the other team's QB is even going to have time to chuck one down field. If they're not lying on their asses after getting Suh, VandenBosch, Fairley or some other defensive lineman storming their grill, they're probably going to be scrambling for their lives. We had a pretty lousy set of DBs toward the end of the season and the defensive line made up for what the DBs couldn't. It's a helluva lot easier for even a lousy corner to defend if the QB can't see and deliver.

It definitely looks like Martin Mayhew's not following the rocky course that Millen has done. He shocked me with his Titus Young pick. I've heard all the clamor for a third WR but thought the need for LB, CB or OL was more pressing. Trading up to get that bruising back from Illinois was ballsy too.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    My Lions Board:
    1st Round: Prince Amukamara cb, Tyron Smith ot or trade significantly down.
    2nd Round: Mason Foster lb, Mikel LeShoure rb, Akeem Ayers lb or Martez Wilson, lb
    3rd Round: Bruce Carter lb, Titus Young wr, Brandon Burton cb, Greg Jones lb
    4th Round: Casey Matthews lb, Greg Little wr, Buster Skrine cb, Edmund Gates wr
    5th Round: Austin Pettis wr, Johnny Patrick cb, Daniel Thomas rb, Ronald Johnson wr
    Not bad! Not bad at all! You got the Titus Young & Mike Leshoure picks in there. Congrats for being so accurate. Nice call! I hope you're somewhat satisfied.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast