Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Our time management in the last minute was not great, we get the ball down to the 7 with a minute left and run willy nilly down the field in a panic and unorganized get a play off and get a holding call. Thankfully we scored but we left to much time on the clock. With their kicker they have a great shot at making a long field goal. And then the celebration after the TD, stupid.
    I didn't have an issue with the clock management because we really couldn't control the clock at the end of the game. We were out of time outs by the time we marched the ball down the field on that last drive.; we used them all up on the Raider possession prior to getting the ball back. "Leaving too much time on the clock" really wasn't an issue we could control and quite simply I'd much rather score, take the lead and trust our defense to stopping the Raiders.

The penalty? Yeah... never a good time to get one when we're driving and near the red zone.

And while I quietly giggled years ago when Al Davis took a kicker with their first round pick, I can see how he can be a great weapon at moments just like yesterday's. In close games, that little pudgy dude can still bang one in from a crazy distance like that. Janikowski was standing on HIS 40 yard line about to launch that puppy yesterday. Scary weapon to have indeed.

What was wrong with the TD celebration? Did I miss something? I didn't see anything disrespectful nor did I see any flags being tossed for excessive celebrating. I'd much rather see our team celebrating than the other team whooping it up at our expense.
    Last edited by Thruster315; December-19-11 at 01:24 PM.

My only issue was the running up to the line with a minute to go, rushing was a negative at that point. A minute is a lifetime in the NFL and the Raiders got a field goal to end the first half in a similar manner. As far as the celebration we had a least 6 guys layed out next to the end zone, they have been calling that excessive multiple person celebration this year. We get a 15 yarder for that would have been enforced on the kick off. You have to realize when a team has a kicker like that its important to keep him off the field. We lose that game on a game ending field goal, and especially if there was a celebration penalty, we all would be playing monday morning QB.

My only issue was the running up to the line with a minute to go, rushing was a negative at that point. A minute is a lifetime in the NFL and the Raiders got a field goal to end the first half in a similar manner.
    Part of that rush to get to the line could also be to keep the defense scrambling too. There seemed to be quite a bit of no-huddle towards the end that kept the Raider defense guessing. I think I'd still much rather rush up there and take that chance in the end zone as opposed to slowly walking up to the line and losing to the clock running out.

As far as the celebration we had a least 6 guys layed out next to the end zone, they have been calling that excessive multiple person celebration this year. We get a 15 yarder for that would have been enforced on the kick off. You have to realize when a team has a kicker like that its important to keep him off the field. We lose that game on a game ending field goal, and especially if there was a celebration penalty, we all would be playing monday morning QB.
    I see your point with the "celebration" in the end zone. It was a big goofy pile-on of players, right? Now I'm not one to get into the head of the goofy refs and their interpretation of excessive celebrations, but I thought it was okay because it was a celebration amongst themselves and not meant to show off or show anyone up. That big gathering/ group hug of guys was fine. I'm still surprised how guys like Scheffler get away with some of his theatrics but I generally don't have too much of an issue with some celebrating. The rule for too much celebrating is way too vague to chance the refs tossing the hanky.

But correct me if I'm wrong now, didn't one of the Fox commentators mention something about how the Lions celebrated in their sideline/ bench area as opposed to the end zone? I think he also mentioned how it was actually okay and was practically approving of it.

NFL = No Fun League at times.
    Last edited by Thruster315; December-19-11 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Not wanting to spoil the good vibe going here about Suh getting a hand on the field goal attempt by any means, but even if Janikowski would've gotten the kick off cleanly- we'll never know if he would've made it or not.

Odds are he was going to have that kick blocked or missed though. The percentage of making it from that unreal distance would've been astronomical; it was going to be an NFL record. In order for him to get the distance, the trajectory would've been super low which is ideal for a guy like Suh to swat out of the air. I even read somewhere that they even had Calvin Johnson leaping up in the middle to block that kick. And even if he had gotten the kick through, what were the odds he was going to be accurate? It very well could've fell short, gone wide left, wide right or even hit the post.

We'll never know and quite frankly I don't want to know. What happened has happened and it will be forever in the NFL records as a W for our team.
    Everything you mention is true, and many of the same things were said before the Dempsey kick. But remember, we're talking about the Detroit Lions here. As longtime fans we have seen many crazy things happen to defeat us. Janikowski has an amazing leg. If the Raiders didn't think he could make it they would have opted for the hail mary. I was remiss in not thanking the entire unit that played a part in stopping the kick. Having Calvin in there was a great idea, and I think he should be out there for every fg attempt against us. But you're right, we'll never know and it doesn't matter now. But everytime in the future they show that Dempsey kick they should show Suh's block too.

I remember that Tom Dempsey kick like it was yesterday.

nightmare, on an endless loop, with those two refs looking up, then at eachother before raising their arms in dual surprise.

Enough of my rant on the last minute, I guess being a Lions fan we are in a constant battle with pessimism. I will say that Sunday night I was in an unusual happy mood and most of it due to our big win. Now we have to finish it off at home and clinch and get to 10 wins. It looks like everyone will be available including Delmas. We are going to need all healthy DB's and safety's we can find and get Young and Fairly active on the D-lie again.
    Its gonna be another close game, Go Lions!!!

Saturday is going to be tough for me. I am going to have to root against my adopted team. [[I took them on during the time I was Lions free)

I want Antonio Gates to have a good day but I don't want them to win. I used to watch him in high school and at Eastern and Kent State, and have followed his career at San Diego.

Unlike some of the other receiving diva's he has represented his team and the league well.
    He will most likely break the all time receiving record for his team against the Lions. I just hope he doesn't have a career day against them.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I want Antonio Gates to have a good day but I don't want them to win. I used to watch him in high school and at Eastern and Kent State, and have followed his career at San Diego.

Gates is an amazing story. A lot of people dont know he actually got a scholarship and was on the MSU football team. The coach at the time, Saban, wouldnt let him play basketball so he transferred to Kent St were he did not play football. His basketball team played in the elite 8 his senior year but he wasnt drafted. So here is this kid who never played college football turning out to be on of the greatest tight ends in the history of the NFL. Amazing!
    Now that we are talking about him I hope it brings him bad luck on Saturday, he is the type that could really hurt us.

Enough of my rant on the last minute, I guess being a Lions fan we are in a constant battle with pessimism.
    Rant? Rant? You call that a rant? My rants have cleared the board for a week, no amount of Lysol could clean up some of those toxic spills. Rant. Heck, I could rant about rants, I could rant about the lack of rant worthy rants. Dom's stylings come close to the type of old-school rants that should serve as clear motivation.

Our Leos being rant worthy is a good sign, at long last we expect more. More.

That's a good thing.

Don't forget to pick up your gift bundle over on Discuss Detroit. No telling who might get them.

Gates is an amazing story. A lot of people dont know he actually got a scholarship and was on the MSU football team. The coach at the time, Saban, wouldnt let him play basketball so he transferred to Kent St were he did not play football. His basketball team played in the elite 8 his senior year but he wasnt drafted. So here is this kid who never played college football turning out to be on of the greatest tight ends in the history of the NFL. Amazing!
    Now that we are talking about him I hope it brings him bad luck on Saturday, he is the type that could really hurt us.
    There's a little more to that story which I think is important for young people to understand how to deal with adversity but to also be able to adjust there goals when necessary.

He only played two years of high school varsity football not because he wasn't good but because he didn't like the game at the time.

After Saban told him he couldn't play basketball he went to Eastern had a good year playing but flunked out.

He then spent a year at the College of the Sequoias and didn't play any sports he just needed to get his grades so he could go play for Tark the Shark at Fresno ST.

In the meantime his HS coach got an assist's job at Kent St and he ended up there.

All of this time he never wanted to play football not even for Kent States team.

However when only football scouts followed him around his senior year, he realized he better get with the program and thats what I mean by adjusting your goals.

Because of him football scouts hang out in gyms looking for undersize tweener forwards that they can make into tight ends.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Our Leos being rant worthy is a good sign, at long last we expect more. More.

That's a good thing.
    The Lions playing meaningful football in December? Damn... someone pinch me. And if your rants are a part of the reason this team of ours is doing well, keep ranting.

I DON'T BELIEVE WHAT I JUST HEARD. THE LIONS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS! Made for an interesting afternoon, moving between the Seahawks on my TV [[they lost) and the Lions on the computer. Much as I like The Seahawks, I'm absolutely overjoyed by The Lions!

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    I DON'T BELIEVE WHAT I JUST HEARD. THE LIONS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS! Made for an interesting afternoon, moving between the Seahawks on my TV [[they lost) and the Lions on the computer. Much as I like The Seahawks, I'm absolutely overjoyed by The Lions!

Yeah they dominated every aspect of the game....

Turbanastic! Turbasim! Turrrrbalious!

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

Brings meaning back to Gridiron Heros......

Definitive. That’s the word I use for this oh-so-impressive Lions victory. This is the sort of game that we should always hold the team to as far as a gold standard to how good they can be. The Lions played against a desperate team and were possibly one of the hottest teams in the NFL for the last few weeks. And they beat the Chargers into submission by halftime. The Chargers couldn’t solve the Lions at all three phases and were sent packing.

Offensively Matthew Stafford was just throwing darts in that first half. He lived up to the hype of being the number one over all pick today. A 137.6 quarterback rating was mighty impressive. His accuracy was just about picture perfect- and a lot of that goes to the offensive line in giving him the time to scope out the array of weapons. Let’s give all sorts of credit to the beef up front. They protected their QB and even opened up a few holes for Kevin Smith to keep the Chargers honest. Pettigrew was money today with his short game; he schooled the Charger linebackers and made them pay dearly. And what can we say about Calvin Johnson that hasn’t already been said? Burleson also found himself open when CJ was covered and made his opportunities count. Our first four touches with the ball resulted in points. I loved how this unit came out swinging for the fences; Linehan had them playing aggressively and confidently. I love this recipe for success with this group.

Defensively we stalled a team that had been scoring like it was going out of style. Rivers just couldn’t get into stride and we kept him guessing even though we didn’t necessarily sack him much. Cliff Avril’s one handed pick six will be a great highlight for years to come. Our linebacking group seems to have solidified some sure handed tackling for once too. I’m glad to see the trio of Durant, Tulloch and Levy supporting the front four. Even our weakened secondary played strong and really never gave their wideouts much of a chance. I thought the only offensive situation that gave us fits was the Antonio Gates DeAndre Levy match-up, but they seemed to rotate a safety in for some help and kept him honest. Gunther Cunningham adjusted the defense and it paid off.

This team’s victory was solely predicated on the offense coming strong and building a lead and letting the defense do its thing. Once we can pin our defense’s ears back and play aggressively we seem to do very well. And to Jim Schwartz’ credit, remember a few weeks back when this team imploded with penalties galore? His message came through loud and clear; the team was listening when he implored them to play smarter. And a meager eight yards of penalty yardage total? Talk about another definitive moment with this team! That is probably the most impressive stat that I can point to in the midst of this impressive offensive and defensive performance. I hope this point sticks in all of their collective minds. Smart disciplined plays are paramount in this league. We did not shoot ourselves in the foot which was refreshing and smart.

This was a glimmer of what this team could be. If we can continue to play at this level and this sort of consistency, we will scare the daylights out of anyone in the playoffs. Did I say playoffs? Playoffs yes.

The Lions playing meaningful football in December?
    We'll also be playing meaningful football in January too. Let's savor this for a few days, prepare for Green Bay, and maybe get the Lambeau Field Tundra Monkey off of our back. We've dispelled quite a handful of demons this season already. Why not get one more off of our backs and prepare to see who we're going to play in the post-season?

One of the most impressive post game comments I heard was from Corey Williams with regards to their penalty situation from a few weeks ago... "We're done with that, we're past that. Guys are starting to grow up, and they realized that if we don't beat ourselves, we can beat a lot of people."

Maybe it's parity in the NFL. Maybe it's Jim Schwartz' message finally sinking in and the players really believing in it. But I'll give the big guy this- he knows that once they're in the playoffs, anything can happen. Green Bay was a prime example of it last year. They didn't play particularly well against us and got beat but once they got past them, they took it to the Super Bowl and steam rolled well into this season.

Now I'm not gonna be all gung-ho and say we're making it to the Super Bowl because there is some pretty damn amazing talent out there in New Orleans, New England, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and even the pain in the ass Forty Niners, but we've made some pretty nice strides and have matured.

I'm smiling and pretty satisfied. They exceeded my expectations already. Anything from here on out is biscuits & gravy to me. They made it into the post season and it was way more than I could've expected. Win a playoff game and I'm gonna be beside myself. Win a second round in the playoffs and I'm not gonna know how to find my fly to take a piss. Make it to the Super Bowl and someone's going to have to revive me after the game- win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    We'll also be playing meaningful football in January too. Let's savor this for a few days, prepare for Green Bay, and maybe get the Lambeau Field Tundra Monkey off of our back. We've dispelled quite a handful of demons this season already. Why not get one more off of our backs and prepare to see who we're going to play in the post-season?
    Like I wrote earlier, I'm pretty satisfied with the team and their accomplishments already. They far exceeded anything I thought they could do. I picked them to go 8-8 remember? I'm secure in myself and can easily admit to being wrong. If they can beat the Pack at Lambeau... great. If they don't, it ain't gonna wrinkle my shirt any; I wouldn't mind for the reason you mentioned though.

An 11-5 record would make gnome look like a friggin' genius though. We might have to rent out the old Silverdome just to contain his turbin AND ego if that's the case.

Next week I just want the Lions to go up to Wisconsin, play hard, make an honest attempt to win the game, and come home healthy for the playoffs.
    Last edited by Thruster315; December-26-11 at 04:06 AM.

An 11-5 record would make gnome look like a friggin' genius though.
    Look?! I take it for granted he is

Anyway, haven't been by for a while but hot damn, am I loving this. As a long suffering fan [[since the Monte Clark years), this season and especially that last game where they shook off the ghosts of seasons past and played disciplined, GREAT football -- I'm ecstatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    Look?! I take it for granted he is

Anyway, haven't been by for a while but hot damn, am I loving this. As a long suffering fan [[since the Monte Clark years), this season and especially that last game where they shook off the ghosts of seasons past and played disciplined, GREAT football -- I'm ecstatic.
    That last game rocked. It wasn't like they were playing against some expansion team filled with up and coming group of rookies, chumps, and meatheads with their golf clubs in hand already- it was the freaking San Diego Chargers who were fighting for their playoff lives. They were being touted as the hottest piece of sh!t rising the last three weeks. We snuffed that flame out quickly, decisively, and effectively by the half. It was nearly surgical how well we carved them up in the first half.

Let's admit it. It was like smogboy said "the gold standard" of what great football should be here. And it was against some pretty damn good talent on the opposite side of the ball too. If there was a Monday morning to be the biggest baddest armchair QB there ever was, this is it. I'm still giddy from Saturday's game. And maybe a part of it is from where we've gone this season already with the Suh theatrics, the penalty filled bouts of stupidity, and some of the tantalizing moments of "oh we were so close"- but I agree, I'm ecstatic to be a Lions fan today.

That last game rocked. It wasn't like they were playing against some expansion team filled with up and coming group of rookies, chumps, and meatheads with their golf clubs in hand already- it was the freaking San Diego Chargers who were fighting for their playoff lives. They were being touted as the hottest piece of sh!t rising the last three weeks. We snuffed that flame out quickly, decisively, and effectively by the half. It was nearly surgical how well we carved them up in the first half.
    Amen on that though I'm rather aggravated that in the Pro Bowl, Philp "BitchFace" Rivers is in and Stafford is an alternate?! That my friends, is a steaming pile.

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    Amen on that though I'm rather aggravated that in the Pro Bowl, Philp "BitchFace" Rivers is in and Stafford is an alternate?! That my friends, is a steaming pile.
    You beef should be with Eli not Rivers, the NFC QB's are a more competitive group

I would be upset with the non-selection of Matthew Stafford and a few of the other Lions players if I really cared about the Pro Bowl. Like so many other sports' All Star Games, they're a farce as to what and how the actual game is played on a weekly basis. The intensity just isn't there. It might as well be flag football at this point. It used to be a nice reward to the players to send them to Hawaii but in this day and age where the majority of those players make enough money to buy themselves an island or two renders the point moot.

I've gotten to the point of where I'd almost much rather see a skills competition amongst all of the players than the actual All Star Game itself.

I love the game of football, follow it religiously but these exhibitions do nothing for me. Can anyone even remember who won last year's game? Who was the starting QB right off the top of their heads without Googling it up? I couldn't.

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast