Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

best enjoyed with pinch of salt

This was a good solid road win, a very professional effort by a good team. After we went 5-0 you could sense some cockiness on our younger players. We have seemed to have taken care of that and got back to solid football.
    Our running game was productive and really helped out Stafford. You cant win in this league without running the ball and stopping the run. That will be the key to the rest of the season.
    Im thrilled with the effort and exacution of our Lions!
    Enjoy the bye week.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I have heard that the coaching staff at Denver is in a bind with Tebow. He came out of camp third string QB, but the fans and certain media people are in love with him. The coaching staff responded by starting him but there are whispers that they are setting him up for failure and the announcers sort of mentioned why didn't they call more short passes for him.
    I think when Josh McDaniel drafted him, he was channeling Matt Millen all the way. Given the choice of Joey Harrington or Tim Tebow, I'd probably go with Harrington- at least Harrington had some measurable skills that was of NFL quality; some scouts liked him. The Tebow pick IMO is going to be about as an epic of a QB failure as Ryan Leaf and Andre Ware.

Again, why are so many people infatuated with him? It's not like there aren't other devout players in the league. There are plenty of other righteous, stand-up good folks in the NFL, and yet none of them get this over-the-top circus attention. What's to love? He's going to be a bust and to still see so many people blindly defending this guy who has only started five NFL games is insane. Have all of those people been chug-a-lugging from the same tainted Kool-Aid barrel?

Even the hometown paper is shredding him:
    http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...medium=twitter

Morals aside, he hasn't produced beans for his team or the NFL. Well, maybe he's sold some additional Tebow jerseys but I can almost guarantee you that those will be about as popular as Kalimba Edwards jerseys soon.

John Lynch, the Fox broadcaster that called for the Denver coaching staff to give Tim Tebow some easier throws makes it sound so much easier than it is in reality. Gunther Cunningham knew that and I'm sure that's why he dialed up the blitzes and kept the linebackers at home more often than not. The Lions defense practically dared Tebow to beat them with his arm. If Tebow could get into a rhythm, he might've been a threat but conversely it's a defense's job to disrupt that rhythm. Detroit did that more than effectively in pressuring him and shaving time off of his comfort zone.

While it's easy to blame Tim Tebow and his ineffectiveness, it's also noteworthy to sing the praises of the Lions defense. They dictated the play and imposed their will upon the Broncos. We just weren't going to give Tebow any easy passes. As easy as Lynch thought it was going to be to throw short passes, the Lions just weren't going to let it happen. It was about as complete of a dismantling and domination of an opposing team's QB as I've seen in a long while.

It was a bit strange to be bored during the 4th quarter. Not a feeling I've ever had while watching our Leos dismantle someone. Almost like a pre-season game, it just felt like the game was already over mid-way through the 3rd.

If truth be told, I walked away from watching and listened to the 4th with Dan and Brandy.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    It was a bit strange to be bored during the 4th quarter. Not a feeling I've ever had while watching our Leos dismantle someone. Almost like a pre-season game, it just felt like the game was already over mid-way through the 3rd.

If truth be told, I walked away from watching and listened to the 4th with Dan and Brandy.
    You and me both gnome. I didn't completely tune them out but after awhile it became a joke. I suddenly started checking my email, balancing my checkbook and doing other menial tasks that I would ordinarily not touch during a Lions game.

While the bye week is coming up I don't think we're going to be doing that much relaxing from here on out though. The schedule really starts ramping up in difficulty.

@ Chicago
    Carolina
    Green Bay
    @ New Orleans
    Minnesota
    @ Oakland
    San Diego
    @ Green Bay

Well, we're looking at a honey-doo list Sunday with the season half over and the Lions on their Bye week.

Half way through and we are 6 and 2. Better than I predicted, and much different than I expected. My my recollection I predicted losses to Tampa, Chicago and Dallas, and thought the San Fran would be a notch in the belt.

But I'm closer to the truth than Drew Sharp who predicted we'd be 6-10 on the season. I guess that is still possible, just not likely.

So, fess up. How do you stand?
    ---

Attachment 11081

What even the real lions were thinking when they got wind of the NFLs infinite wisdom...

So, fess up. How do you stand?

I had them at 10 and 6 with Stafford, 8-8 without him. So I only need 4 more Ws, which I think is real do-able. I got the games all mixed up though, as I had them beating SF and ATL at home and losing to Dal and TB on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    smogboy 9-7
    kenp 8-8 sober; possibly more with a hit to the bong
    downriviera 10-6 with the caveat of a healthy Stafford
    downriviera 8-8 without Stafford
    gnome 11-5
    firstandten 8-8
    -and my call at 8-8
    From way back on August 8th. If the Lions are going to do better than my wimpy 8-8 call I'd be glad to order up the double helping of crow and have a side of mashed to go with it. I'd be more than willing to further admit to wearing an ill fitting psychic turbin.

Individual game wise, I also stunk it up to high heaven with my picks:

Week 1 at Tampa - win
    Week 2 vs. Chiefs - win
    Week 3 at Vikings - loss
    Week 4 at Dallas - loss
    Week 5 vs. Bears - loss
    Week 6 vs. 49ers - win
    Week 7 vs. Atlanta - loss
    Week 8 at Denver - win
    Week 10 at Bears - win
    Week 11 vs. Panthers - win
    Week 12 vs. Packers - loss
    Week 13 at Saints - loss
    Week 14 vs. Vikings - win
    Week 15 at Raiders - win
    Week 16 vs. Chargers - loss
    Week 17 at Packers - loss
    Right now I'd be a pathetic 3-5.

Ok like all good armchair quarterbacks its time to " cough, cough" re-adjust our predictions for the rest of the year

Week 10 at Bears - win
    Week 12 vs. Packers - win [[ because its thanksgiving)
    Week 13 at Saints - loss
    Week 15 at Raiders - loss
    Week 16 vs. Chargers - win
    Week 17 at Packers -loss

11-5 good enough for a wildcard spot

Here were the picks from ages ago from those of us who were brave and daring:

gnome

Week 10 at Bears - Win,
    Week 11 vs. Panthers - Win
    Week 12 vs. Packers - Loss, turkeybone gets stuck sideways
    Week 13 at Saints - Loss, close but no
    Week 14 vs. Vikings - Win
    Week 15 at Raiders - Win
    Week 16 vs. Chargers - Loss, coal in our Xmas Eve stockings
    Week 17 at Packers - Win, the tundra curse is broken

Ejames101

Week 10 at Bears - Win
    Week 11 vs. Panthers - Win
    Week 12 vs. Packers - Win
    Week 13 at Saints - Lose
    Week 14 vs. Vikings - Win
    Week 15 at Raiders - Win
    Week 16 vs. Chargers - Lose
    Week 17 at Packers – Lose

Roq

Week 10 at Bears - L
    Week 11 vs. Panthers - WIN
    Week 12 vs. Packers - WIN
    Week 13 at Saints - L
    Week 14 vs. Vikings - WIN
    Week 15 at Raiders - WIN
    Week 16 vs. Chargers - WIN
    Week 17 at Packers – L

Thruster315

Week 10 at Bears - win
    Week 12 vs. Packers - loss
    Week 13 at Saints - loss
    Week 15 at Raiders - win
    Week 16 vs. Chargers - loss
    Week 17 at Packers - loss

Toss in firstandten's from above- anyone else want to re-adjust their armchair psychic calls? I'm going to stick by my feeble calls and pray the Lions do me a few better than my project 4-4 finish. It's a to tough finish against some pretty darn good teams coming up. The Lions have definitely improved but the next eight will prove whether they're going to plateau or take the next step forward. ANYTHING can happen in this man's NFL [[Anyone remember that horrific KC team we dismantled weeks handedly ago? They've since recovered and are actually 4-3 now).

Seeing how this is a bye week for us Lions fans, let's take a much needed break and see what your second half predictions look like. Any change of minds yet?

I'm not ready to make any second half predictions quite yet. I don't even know the scores from yesterday's games as it was a pigskin free Sunday.

However, twitterverse reports that Leonard Davis, former Dallas Cowboy all-pro tackle/guard has signed with the lions.

If you recall Davis came to Allen Park in August to show his wares, but left without much of a looksee. Apparently he has been working out on his own and now joins our O line.

Don't know much about the guy, except he is a side of beef, former all-pro, can play every position on the line and was tossed asside by Dallas in their attempt to young'un up the team. Is young'un even a word anymore?

So Dallas wanted to get some fresh legs, they toos asside all the vets and now Romo has become a spokesman for Depends.

I'm sure folks will be talking about this move... as it puts somebodys' job on the line. Is Backus hurt? Sims? Is the Gosder knee swiss-cheezy? Riola won't be replaced for awhile, but with Jason Fox out the last game or two, maybe Leonard Davis is a rather large security blanket.

If the rumors are correct and Davis has been signed, that means someone else is leaving.

By my lights, this means Javid Best is gone for the season, if not for ever.

I see Leonard Davis coming in here as a security blanket at best. I can't see him dislodging any of the regulars just yet. Corey Hilliard will step in there long before Davis sees any action.

Now the Kevin Smith re-signing could be interesting. He's still got some moxie in him and might want to prove that he still belongs in the NFL. He's somewhat familiar with the terminology so it shouldn't take him that long to step back into the fold. But like Davis, I see him as a safety net to drop back into should Jahvid Best not be able to play this season. And it just might not be up to Best to say when he could or can play either.

I heard he was at some sports store doing autographs and he said he felt fine but it was up to the NFL and their medical staffs to clear him to play. But then with the NFL's precautionary nature of concussions I'm fine with it.

Now if we want something interesting to mull over, according to MLive:

While players were enjoying a bye week, Detroit had 24 players workout last week, according toProFootballTalk.com.
    The report said Detroit worked out receiver Antwaan Randle El, receivers Sam Aiken, Aaron Love, Charly Martin, and Terrence Toliver, quarterback Brian Brohm, running backs Aaron Brown, Lonyae Miller, Wynel Seldon, and Kevin Smith, defensive tackles Tony Brown and Jovan Haye, guards Garrett Chisolm and Leonard Davis, defensive end Chauncey Davis, tight ends Ryan Goleski and Jonathan Stupar, linebackers Nic Harris and Lance Laury, long snapper Jake Ingram, punter Jeremy Kapinos, defensive backs Robert McClain and Kevin Payne, and center Chris Morris.
    Now I'm not saying just because they tried out all of these guys, there's something amiss here with the team. I think it's just a part of their due diligence to see who's available in the market. It's smart to know who's still out there looking for work.

This is Leonard Davis at his first Allen Park practice: My worry that he was going to be 400 pounds of rollypolly are without merit. He does look cro-magnonian.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    This is Leonard Davis at his first Allen Park practice: My worry that he was going to be 400 pounds of rollypolly are without merit. He does look cro-magnonian.

The one thing that I will admit I like about Leonard Davis is that he was a starter last year and for plenty of years prior. It's not like we're picking up the second or third stringer chump from someone's practice squad. We get it; he's in the twilight of his career but if he's still got some gas in the tank and wants to play good smash-mouth football in the trenches for us, who are we going to complain? So he might not be as nimble as he was ten years ago but maybe he can also help with the run offense. Hell, I like him just for the versatility and maybe he can add some veteran presence to the team.

Who knows? It could be another Mayhew gem of a deal.

IMHO opinion, Kevin Smith is not the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    No he is not the answer but this time of the year its about depth That was always one of my complaints about the Lions administration under Millen. The drop-off from the starters to second and third string was noticable.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Yes he is if the question is who's the best choice we can get for depth now.

Like firstandten said this is a smart move to get someone at this time of the year for depth only. I don't expect to see him playing much not unless Morris & Williams go down. If nothing else he can at least spell the starters a play or two. I thought he was also a capable blocker when he did play here. He can give a slightly different look to the offense as well even if he's not going to be an integral part of the offense.

The professionalism we displayed at Denver sure went out the window. THough unlike previous years I think we will grow from this, its just one game.
    We got off to a nice start Sunday then fumbled twice and it kind of snowballed from there. I think we can rebound next week but we better start playing like a team. There are plenty of teams in the NFC as good or better then us, we will have to fight and claw to make the playoffs.
    One thing that concerns me as the season goes on is our lack of depth. Look at our special teams, they are average at best. Thats the spot were all the reserves play and we are a level belows most teams.
    We still have a long way to go.

One of the things that has been Schwartz's successes here has been that he gets the players to play all out. For fans that had to watch season after season of players mailing it in before the bye, this was a great change. When you started to add in the fact that they were bringing in players that actually had talent, it made for a nice change.

That being said, it seems that one of the by-products of encouraging the 'all-out' attitude has led to the reputation that the Lions have of being dirty. The mentality being, I guess, if you play harder on ten plays and one of those results in a penalty, you're still coming out ahead.

For awhile, that worked, but I think now that Schwartz has gotten talented players and he's convinced them he can play, his next task is to be able to reign them in and control them because the going overboard isn't working like it used to. Other teams are figuring out how to push the Lions buttons and get them to make stupid plays that result in penalties.

They need to figure out that intensity is great, but too much intensity will get you into trouble. Now that they have talent in key areas, they have to be able to use that talent effectively, and I put that responsibility on Schwartz.

Am I the only one who raised an eyebrow when Stafford said he once played a game in 52 degrees ?

I called the Lions at 6-10 because of their lousy offensive line. I still think the Lions will go as far in the second half as that unit takes them.

Well I had them for losses at the Saints and Raiders. They need to win one of those games to make up for the loss to the bears which I had down as a victory.

I would like to see Stafford sit out this weekend against the Panthers and heal up so as to be ready for the Packers.

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast