Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 21 ... LastLast

Today I expect the Lions to destroy the Vikings.

Prediction: 34-13

Stafford: 300 yds & 3 TD
    Best: 60 yds rushing / 70 receiving
    Calvin: 5-70 receiving & 1 TD

Defense: 4 sacks & 1 Int & 1 TD

Peterson is held to under 100 yards.

Tony Scheffler might do the Techno Viking dance if he scores a TD.

http://youtu.be/-fvLs5KXWYI

Did the Lions win?
    Last edited by ejames01; September-25-11 at 04:16 PM.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes. 26-23 in OT. Great half a game play for the Lions. Now if they would only play a full game [[they haven't yet this season) they could be pretty decent.

BTW: Can Logan and Best quit running lateral and just run up the field!

Was listening to the game on the net, and gave up with 3 minutes to go in the first half. Came back out of curiosity with 5 minutes to go in the game and was rivited to it til the end. Is it too early to become a believer, or should I wait until after the Dallas game?

BTW, I can't stand their play by play Maybe I'm getting too old, but I miss announcers like Van Patrick and Bob Reynolds. A lot of announcers nowadays worry more about the jokes they want to tell then about the game.
    Last edited by douglasm; September-25-11 at 05:22 PM.

Ej, my man,WTF were you thinking? A blow out?

Could be Turbin Renewal time.

Weeks from now it won't matter because we got the W today but this is prime example of why this team isn't ready for the big time just yet. We're on the way and we're a far better team than before but that first half had me screaming "same ol' Lions" at the TV screen.

The Backus bashers will be out as well as the calls for Gosder Cherilus' head for nearly giving the game away. But let's not forget that credit does go out to the Vikings for being one desperate team. Jared Allen was a one man wrecking crew all game long and I'm not sure who could've stopped him one-on-one. I thought Backus needed some additional help there all game long. Where was Scheffler or a RB to help with a pick?

Five sacks [[and a few of them of the pancake variety) weren't good either. To his credit, Stafford popped up from each and every one of them and found his rhythm.

Like GOAT said, we need a full game from this team to be any sort of contender. We were beat on all three aspects of the game that first half. The offense wasn't in sync, the defense gave up the big plays and even the special teams stunk it up. I have no idea what the hell Schwartz said to them at half time but it obviously worked but maybe he should record it and use it at the beginning of the game. I was absolutely disgusted at the first half and had to walk away for a bit.

And maybe it was gnome's ill fitting turbin calling me back, but I'm thankful I did to see the victory. I hope the team watches that first half in film over and over and over; they need to realize that crap can't happen again.

I'm a bit sore this morning from watching all those hits on Stafford. Nice to see him get up off the turf after all those. Its obvious Pettigrew reads this thread and was motivated by my recent comment to trade him. I was wondering why they didn't run one play to center the ball for Hanson's game winner. Either he likes kicking from the left hash mark or he just doesn't care where the ball is spotted. Can't wait for next week to see who really is the Big D.

Various thoughts in no particular order.

1. The Lions are 3-0 and came back from a twenty point deficit. When was the last time either of those things was a remote possibility?

2. Backus was terrible yesterday. Best almost took away the safety and gave away the game [[and when he managed to get his way out of the end zone, somewhere Dan Orlovsky sighed in resignation as he still holds the honor of taking the worst Lions safety ever). But the Lions still won!

3. Did they play a complete 60-minute perfect game? Heavens no. They were flat and pretty much one step away from awful in the first half [[with their biggest redemptions in the form of keeping the Vikings to field goals on the first two scores). But, of the remaining undefeated teams [[Bills, Packers, Redskins), none of them have played perfect ball. Every team has its ups and downs over the course of a sixty minute game.

4. I had the number two pick in my fantasy football draft and I drafted CJ. I'm currently 0-3. Oh, did I mention that the CJ I drafted was Chris Johnson. Thought "Should I draft Calvin? Nah, nobody drafts a receiver that high." I probably would have been 2-1, maybe even 3-0 had I done so. I think he'll have a season paralell to the one magical season that Randy Moss had in 97 or 98. Megatron is amazing.

5. The Lions will lose sometime this year. Let's worry about critiquing them when that happens. Until then, celebrate the undefeated Lions who just capped an amazing comeback!

The Vikings were a desperate team and in a wild setting that came out playing hard. They have a great d-line and really exposed our weakness. Gotta give a lot of credit to the staff for halftime adjustments. Quick passes, screens and finding the tight end.
    Love Titus Young, what a great pick.
    O-line is weak, running game non existant which is a big concern. I really am wary of what might happen if we throw all the time. Stafford is gonna get killed. To me that is our biggest flaw.
    And whats up with the kickoff coverage.
    Thats all the negativity for today, great win and Go Lions!!

Today I woke up remarkably happy about the Lions victory. Was it a gem to watch? Not particularly but the game showed me something the Lions haven’t done in ages and that’s a comeback win. It was also in Minnesota where they hadn’t won since leather helmets were in vogue. This bunch for whatever reason didn’t seem to panic at the end of the first half. Most Lions teams of the past would’ve been in the locker room at the half packing their gear up awaiting the trip home but according to all of the post game interviews that I’ve heard, none of them panicked. They seemed amazing confident and supposedly there was no yelling in there from the coaches or the players themselves. They honestly believed they could come back and win this one. I’m sure they knew the Vikings’ last two games where they choked it all away in the second half, but who likes to be the team to help someone break their streak?

It was great to see Jim Schwartz launch off the sidelines with a new mighty fist pump. He’s worked hard with this bunch and credit goes to Scott Linehan for helping a slightly battered and bruised Matthew Stafford find the right plays in the second half. Kudos to the Viking defense for playing an amazing first half and thanks for not adjusting to us in the second half. Brandon Pettigrew literally had one of those games where he put the team on his back and carried us. For as frustrating as he has been in dropping passes, he came through in a big way. Between he and Calvin Johnson [[Cris Carter can eat his words about CJ not making game breaking catches now), those two carved up the Vikings with their size and their hands. In the two prior games it was Scheffler and Burleson that made those catches. This team really does have a lot of offensive weapons that other teams must just cringe at. I’d still love to see a much more effective running game in order to add another bullet to the chamber but I can see that as being a huge work-in-progress.

Beyond the running game, this game brought to focus a lot of the things we do well and a lot of the things we need to improve upon. In the first two games of the year, we’ve been able to duck around some of those deficiencies because of the score differential but this was truly a close game where both teams had to go toe-to-toe; someone was going to blink and go back down their respective tunnel a loser. Most of the newspapers in this town after the games give grades to the team but in my estimation, no segment of this team [[offense, defense, special teams and coaching) deserve any higher than a B- at best. And that B- would go to the defense because they held the Vikings to 20 in the first; it could’ve been worse. Based upon an entire game, most aspects of the game were horrible the first half and even if they got a A in the second half, factor it all in and they’d get a C. No need to over inflate the grades because we won the game. The film footage of that first half is going to be gold to our opponents down the stretch and Jim Schwartz and his staff are going to have to pore over all of it with the team to make sure we don’t get torched like that again. And the film footage of the second half needs to be reviewed for the feel good motivational film because they did hang tough and not give up.

I’ll celebrate the 3-0 record now and marvel at this previous game for a little bit longer but like sirrealone says, let’s see how this team faces real adversity when they lose. Most of the guys on this team didn’t shoulder the burden of the 0-16 team and the losing streak at Minnesota. They carry the legacy of a losing franchise but they’re carving out their own destiny now. Things are looking pretty bright for the moment but the true test of this current team’s character will be how they will react after losing a close one. How will they come back the week after? Will they suddenly start a downward spiral or will they be honest with themselves, regroup and jump back into the saddle? 3-0 and being a Lions fan is a heckuva lot better than being 0-3 and Vikings fan this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    O-line is weak, running game non existant which is a big concern. I really am wary of what might happen if we throw all the time. Stafford is gonna get killed. To me that is our biggest flaw.
    I'm willing to give some credit to Jared Allen too. That man's a monster and can eat up offensive linemen one-on-one. Given that, we just need to try to identify where the other team's QB killers are and stack it a little better with some TE help or some RB helping out.

That first half Stafford hung onto the ball too long. He wanted something big to happen and it never developed. When the defense does that to us, look at how we adjusted- we went to the short game with our tight ends. To counter an in-effective O line and iffy running game, I say we just go to quick dinks & dunks. Keep the passes short and high percentage. It's not pretty but think back to how Jon Kitna did it to save his career; he never had a cannon but could still keep a drive alive. Stafford's got a quick release [[for long and short passes) and that could be his one saving grace from seriously getting killed back there; the other teams have to respect that.

I agree we do need to improve the O line in the off season. We're not great by any stretch but not horrid either but we do have to find a way to be effective given the talent we do have.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    3-0 and being a Lions fan is a heckuva lot better than being 0-3 and Vikings fan this morning.
    I was laughing my a$$ off watching some of the shots of the Vikings fans in the crowd when it looked like their team was going to choke away another game after halftime. Did they ever look depressed or what? I've seen livelier funeral processions. Granted that's what we looked like a few years ago but I agree, better them than us.

And did anyone also experience a weird hum watching the FOX broadcast?

I missed the entire second half.

true.

Family event called me to Lansing, and after watching the first half, I jumped in the car and turned on Dapper Dan and Brandy for the play-by-play. Almost ripped the steering wheel off while breathlessly ignoring the speed limit to get to Mom's and a tv.

Pulled into the drive just as Calvin caught that 40 yard prayer in OT; ran into the house and ...

they weren't watching! They didn't know about the come-back, didn't watch the first half, didn't even know the Leos were in Minnesota!

What kind of people am I related to?

Shameful.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    Today I expect the Lions to destroy the Vikings.

Prediction: 34-13

Stafford: 300 yds & 3 TD
    Best: 60 yds rushing / 70 receiving
    Calvin: 5-70 receiving & 1 TD

Defense: 4 sacks & 1 Int & 1 TD

Peterson is held to under 100 yards.
    Okay we have to give you some grief for the miserable points prediction. Maybe you had gnome's Miss Cleo turbin on backwards for a bit but we'll also have to heap some praise on you for some of your better predictions.

-Stafford did toss for over 300+ yards [[378) but came up short of your prediction of 3 TDs [[only 2)
    -Jahvid Best's running total not so hot with only 14 but you were almost spot-on with his receiving total of 70 [[he had 74)
    -Calvin Johnson you came up short [[and we don't mind one bit!). He went 7-108 and 2 TDs.
    -The 4 sacks was dead-on but no INT and no TD by the defensive boys.
    -And how Adrian Peterson was held under 100 yards is beyond me. He tore us a new one in the first half and then was invisible the second.

But ejames01, thanks for being bold enough to put on gnome's turbin [[the lice was from a previous owner we swear) week after week and looking into the crystal ball and making a brave stab at the game stats. It's a game within a game. We might as well have some fun with it!

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    What kind of people am I related to?
    Alright, who's with me in passing the hat so we can get gnome onto Maury Povich's show? Maybe we can get some DNA testing and prove he's not genetically related to his family. C'mon... anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    I was laughing my a$$ off watching some of the shots of the Vikings fans in the crowd when it looked like their team was going to choke away another game after halftime. Did they ever look depressed or what? I've seen livelier funeral processions. Granted that's what we looked like a few years ago but I agree, better them than us.
    I agree with this 100%. They spent a LOT of time on those sadsack faces in the audience and it was nice to see that it wasn't us!

There were a few more "Suuuuuuuhhhhhhhh"'s coming from the crowd than I would have expected when he came up with plays. Were there a lot of Lions fans there or does he just get that much respect even from opposing fans?

Yes I heard that weird hum, it was almost as annoying as listening to the announcers.

Yes I heard that weird hum, it was almost as annoying as listening to the announcers.
    That was driving me nuts too. I wondered if it was something the Vikings were doing for distraction, but I doubt it.

Yes, does anyone know what that was ?

I'm willing to give some credit to Jared Allen too. That man's a monster and can eat up offensive linemen one-on-one. Given that, we just need to try to identify where the other team's QB killers are and stack it a little better with some TE help or some RB helping out.

That first half Stafford hung onto the ball too long. He wanted something big to happen and it never developed. When the defense does that to us, look at how we adjusted- we went to the short game with our tight ends. To counter an in-effective O line and iffy running game, I say we just go to quick dinks & dunks. Keep the passes short and high percentage. It's not pretty but think back to how Jon Kitna did it to save his career; he never had a cannon but could still keep a drive alive. Stafford's got a quick release [[for long and short passes) and that could be his one saving grace from seriously getting killed back there; the other teams have to respect that.

I agree we do need to improve the O line in the off season. We're not great by any stretch but not horrid either but we do have to find a way to be effective given the talent we do have.
    The football announcers in their re-cap said that the reason Stafford was holding the ball too long was because the Vikings DB were playing bump and run coverage with the wide-outs throwing them off their patterns messing up the timing. The adjustment was to move Calvin around more [[even putting him in the slot) and throwing to the TE down the middle.which was open.

Backus did have a tough day. He just can't handle Allen one on one and will need help.

Of more concern was the day Goster and Hillard had over on the other side. Goster got benched again and Hillard wasn't much better. That spot looks like its due for a upgrade in the off season.

All teams have weakness and we don't have an inside running game and our o-line is just OK not great and not totally awful. Because of that we need to cut Best some slack. He is not a between the tackles runner and if we force him to do too much of it he won't make it thru the season.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    All teams have weakness and we don't have an inside running game and our o-line is just OK not great and not totally awful. Because of that we need to cut Best some slack. He is not a between the tackles runner and if we force him to do too much of it he won't make it thru the season.
    I dont think anyone is blaming Best, he isnt a everyday NFL back, he is more or a situational kind of player forced to play between the tackle football. We had drafted a guy for that need and we lost him for the season which is was huge.
    We have to make the run game some kind of priority and I think we will utimatley be ok but not great. Give the Vikings some credit, they are very good at stopping the run and its not just Allen.
    Also credit Stafford for sitting in there and taking his licks but not playing dumb. I recall a pitch were he could have easily tried to block but backed out of the play. We gotta keep him healthy.
    We are still a work in progress and next priority is some help on the O-line.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I dont think that was the noise. I have heard that horn at Vikings game for years and it is annoying. The noise on the TV was constant sound and sounded more like an electronic issue.

I dont think that was the noise. I have heard that horn at Vikings game for years and it is annoying. The noise on the TV was constant sound and sounded more like an electronic issue.
    Right that's what I was refering to. BTW I didn't even remember hearing the Viking horn

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 21 ... LastLast