Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
I wish the Lions and the media would quit putting so much focus on their supposed lack of a third receiver. Regardless of who you put there, in many of our formations he's actually a 4th or 5th option. There isn't that many balls available, and the Lions like a two tight end formation where he wouldn't even be on the field. I understand that some of this focus is because Williams and Puss Johnson have been busts, but I certainly don't see it as any kind of draft priority, especially when compared to other needs.
I don't understand the fascination with it as well. As much as the pundits also complain about the offensive line, I like the idea of having the two double end set for protection AND having one of them as an offensive option. It wasn't like Brandon Pettigrew and Tony Scheffler were undersized [[both are 6'5") or couldn't catch a ball either. And even Will Heller is more than a serviceable tight end.

And what's wrong with the likes of Stefan Logan or an Aaron Brown if one HAS to utilize a third receiver option? I see the third receiver option almost as a novelty with our twin tight end sets. Sure, one has to have that set in the arsenal but the odds of going to them are probably going to be slim compared to some of our other more reliable targets.

But all of this picking up a wide receiver talk is moot for the time being. This labor lockout thing is maddening. We really can't even talk about the Draft accurately because none of the teams can even talk trades prior to the Draft. At best teams can trade draft picks but not player for picks- so who knows how this upcoming NFL draft will shake out. I think this labor impasse will seriously hamper teams like Detroit who could be very active on Draft Day; it limits a team's options to wheel & deal. As it stands now all teams will really be able to do is pick college kids and maybe trade draft positions- not exactly the bombastic NFL Draft Days we fans have gotten accustomed to.