Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Suh was talking the other day about how the Lion's beat the Packers, a team that is now in the Superbowl. Some on sports talk radio said that beating the Pack doesn't mean anything. I kinda think it does. That was a big game for the Packers that they needed to catch Chicago. Sure, Rogers only played half the game, but when he was in he was ineffective against the Lion's defense. And our best QB didn't play at all. I think beating a team that went to the Superbowl says a lot. Would like to hear my fellow Lion's fans thoughts on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Suh was talking the other day about how the Lion's beat the Packers, a team that is now in the Superbowl. Some on sports talk radio said that beating the Pack doesn't mean anything. I kinda think it does. That was a big game for the Packers that they needed to catch Chicago. Sure, Rogers only played half the game, but when he was in he was ineffective against the Lion's defense. And our best QB didn't play at all. I think beating a team that went to the Superbowl says a lot. Would like to hear my fellow Lion's fans thoughts on this.
    Statistically for the Lions, it's just another W and in the big picture, it really didn't matter that much to won/loss record. We weren't going to the playoffs. But I think if they, the players feel as though it's a watershed moment for them, then so be it. So much of the game is also played on raw emotion so I can see how they feel as though it is important. It was a game the Lions weren't supposed to win [[weren't we like 12 point underdogs?) and somehow they managed to hang in there to win.

-Clinically, it didn't mean beans.

-Emotionally, it could be a building block to changing the losing mentality of this team- in the long run.

If Ndamukong Suh and his team mates can use that seminal moment as a rallying cry to dig deeper in future games, then it's got some value. It's valuable experience to the younger players in understanding the potential that they have. I think it also bonds the individual players to one another and more importantly at the time, I think it also gave them trust again in Jim Schwartz and his coaching staff. If memory serves me correctly- there was some doubt about Schwartz' ability, specifically with his time & game management. That Green Bay game probably brought back a lot of the credibility in Schwartz' message to the team.

As a fan, I loved it then and I'm still savoring some of that Kool-Aid weeks later. It made us believers again and we felt pretty darn good about it; I can only imagine what it did for them.

I'm seriously looking for more scraps and battles like that this upcoming year [[if the lock-out doesn't KO the season). I'm hoping that we'll be on the winning side of the ledger more so than not- but then as a loyal fan, I expect no less.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post

Your darn right is was a huge win for us. That was a big game for GB and is proves we can compete with the best. And your right Rodgers was not effective the first half, our D was very good and we used our 3rd string QB. Teams like Detroit have to plant seeds and start moving up, the end of the year was just that. We beat a superbowl team, and won some road games which was very important.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Teams like Detroit have to plant seeds and start moving up, the end of the year was just that. We beat a superbowl team, and won some road games which was very important.
    Let's not forget the fact that some of those victories were against teams still in the playoff hunt. Our team really didn't have anything to play for other than pride- and it showed.

I really also hope that those few performances also showed to the rest of the league that we're no longer the laughing stocks and we could actually be a destination for other talented free agents to come to. I'm also liking the fact that even though Suh didn't play in the Pro Bowl, he still showed up [[he deserves a free trip to Hawaii if ever there was a Lion that deserved it) and talked up our team a little bit. He very well could've stayed home and relaxed but I'm sure he rubbed some elbows there and was noticed by the others.

Suh very well could be that enigmatic leader that our team hasn't had in eons. Even as great as Barry Sanders was, he was never one to rally his team. Suh very well might be the guy that can get some things done off the field for this team. If he truly believes that this team is headed somewhere [[and I think he does), he could be the glue that binds this team together. Imagine if he were to be the guy who goes up to Calvin Johnson in a few years and convinces him to stay for a shot at bigger & better things in Detroit. Imagine Suh actually recruiting other free agents who want to play alongside him. From all accounts he seems to be a bright, articulate, well spoken young man. He's also moved here which shows a commitment to the area and that's really refreshing to see.

For a guy who plays such a mean role on a team, Ndamukong Suh could very well be the soft spoken lightning rod that attracts the best to this area. Beyond the awards and accolades handed down to him from the league, he's quickly become the fan fave and I can't wait to hear that roar of "SUUUUUUH!" echoing at Ford Field again.

Suh sucks! He play ball like Dennis "The Menace" Rodman. I want out of the Lions for good.

Stafford sucks! He can't run the ball good. He through kiddle middle recieve cut passes. This would cause their opponents to get a quick interception.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Suh sucks! He play ball like Dennis "The Menace" Rodman. I want out of the Lions for good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Stafford sucks! He can't run the ball good. He through kiddle middle recieve cut passes. This would cause their opponents to get a quick interception.
    Try not to snap an ankle jumping off the bandwagon why don'tcha?

Sigh, these fair weather fans...

Well, obviously disappointed though I did think they played great up until the end of the 3rd quarter. Lions cant seem to overcome the shitty calls [[i.e. I saw the Saints holding almost every play at one point -- um, hello blind refs??) and it gets in their heads. Regardless, I'm proud of 'em, it wasn't too long ago they were 0-16 so I'll take this gladly. Btw, I think Stafford is gonna be the next Brady -- I'm calling it now.