Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Don't let Ted Turner deface my movie with his crayons!

- Orson Welles
    I'll say. "The Third Man" should only be seen in black and white, otherwise you miss what Welles accomplished with shadows.

And "Huckleberry Finn" loses a bit of its historicity without the n- word. And if it is so offensive, why do I hear it used so much? Certainly reading it in a book, as though these students are actually going to read the entire book with all its dialects, cannot be as offensive as someone saying it in a menacing way to one's face.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    I'll say. "The Third Man" should only be seen in black and white, otherwise you miss what Welles accomplished with shadows.

And "Huckleberry Finn" loses a bit of its historicity without the n- word. And if it is so offensive, why do I hear it used so much? Certainly reading it in a book, as though these students are actually going to read the entire book with all its dialects, cannot be as offensive as someone saying it in a menacing way to one's face.
    Eggs [[in their face) actly!

It's all about context. Leave literature alone. If anything, erasing references to racism and sexism in literature serves those who promote amnesia. Why not add stupid footnotes or an introduction if they are so uptight about it.

Interestingly enough... censorship in the past has been much more prevalent with artwork, as well as literature...

There is one piece of famous Detroit artwork that was considered partly obscene, and the offensive parts were censored [[painted over long ago). I'm not sure when that happened.

Only in recent years has Detroit's most valuable "framed" painting... Pieter Bruegel the Elder's "Wedding Dance" had it's "cod pieces" restored with their original "hard-ons"!

I guess this was part of the prudish "fig leaf" phenomenon of the past...
    Last edited by Gistok; January-06-11 at 02:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Interestingly enough... censorship in the past has been much more prevalent with artwork, as well as literature...

I guess this was part of the prudish "fig leaf" phenomenon of the past...
    And to think we live in more enlightened time now, what a joke!

"PERSONS attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot."
    [preface to Huckleberry Finn]
    I wonder what Twain would think about this sanitizing of language in his book.

"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish."
    "Everything human is pathetic. The secret source of humor itself is not joy but sorrow. There is no humor in heaven."
    "Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example. "
    Last edited by maxx; January-07-11 at 11:35 AM.

gdogslim Guest

What about Obama lying about almost everything he says. and the press not calling him on it?

Igstock: "what about "Creationists" and "Intelligent Design"?? "
    Igstock: What about the re-writing of the King James Bible after 400 years??
    Igstock: "And what about using "CE" and "BCE".... instead of "AD" and "BC"?? "
    - What about it?
    We all know know people change history, facts, opinions to suit their needs.

But to get more specific on why Twain is being censored and changed.
    It is called - Political correctness , It was first used to help spread communism, marxism. http://www.politicallyincorrect.me.uk/ ,
    is first and foremost an attack on free speech, clear thinking and discussion. Political correctness is perpetrated by the left in politics as a cover for their flawed ideology - a sort of cultural Marxism

DeNile is not just a river in Egypt, the truth is hard to swallow for some.

In the 1970s colleges started demanding that certain phrases be used like "mentally handicapped" instead of "retarded" and "physically challenged" instead of "handicapped". It was an attempt by marginalized groups to define themselves instead of having the rest of the world do it. And it was an attempt to say that free speech does not mean that the discourse should degrade to the use of slurs just because some people's vocabularies are small.

The right, of course, recognized how their fellow authoritarians had used euphemisms to further their own ends and started a campaign against political correctness. It's all just talk with them, though, since they have their own code speech. The political correctness campaign is just another smoke screen and a way to get people fighting amongst themselves instead of recognizing the real common enemy, the corporate interests.

So what are some of the Obama lies you are talking about?

Why wasn't the wonderful idea of communism spreading?
    First someone needs to define communism because Russia never saw the dictatorship of the proletariat, just another sort of authoritarianism. Russia was a feudal state until the 1860s when the serfs were finally released. I don't think any other western nation had serfs in 1860, but then most of Russia was east of the Urals; the czar was more like an eastern potentate. That's why Maoism took off in China where millions were desperately poor. Desperate people will grasp at any straw.
    Last edited by maxx; January-07-11 at 04:49 PM.

I don't consider nigger as a curse word. The ones mostly using the word themselves are black people. Nigger is comes from the latin word nigra and just means the color. Slavery might ont be a Dutch invention but we sure industrialized the custom of uprooting African people to a new world.

I don't know if the first black people to start the practice of using the n word had ever heard of Lenny Bruce, but that's what he advocated.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOnkv76rNL4
    [from "Lenny" starring Dustin Hoffman]

Don't forget about the diary of Anne Frank, censored because she wrote about a little "experimenting" during a sleepover. It may have been a little uncomfortable to read out loud during class, but it could have given a few girls in that class a little reassurance that they weren't a freak for doing a little experimenting themselves.

Sex has always been a verboten topic in schools unless it is a sex ed class that parents can opt out of.
    And experimental lesbianism? Oh, no.

Mark Twain had to use the word Negro slaves or freed Negroes or coloreds to discribe a race of people in America. There was no word for 'Black' or 'Blacks' until the mid 1960s. I say keep that word negro in his books.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Mark Twain had to use the word Negro slaves or freed Negroes or coloreds to discribe a race of people in America. There was no word for 'Black' or 'Blacks' until the mid 1960s. I say keep that word negro in his books.
    That's not the word the backwoods people of the 19th century used for slaves, and Twain didn't use the word "negro" either. Consult Chris Rock for the word.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRwK_...7C700E&index=9

It is absolutely forbidden for whites and any other ethnic race to call a Black person a "NIGGER!"

It is absolutely forbidden for blacks and any other ethnic race to call White person a "PECKERWOOD!"

It is absolutely forbidden for and any other ethnic race to call a Jewish person a "KIKE!"

It is absolutely forbidden for and any other ethnic race to call a Italian person a "WOP!"

It is absolutely forbidden for and any other ethnic race to call a homosexual person
    a "FAGGOT!"

It is absolutely forbidden for and any other ethnic race to call an Arab person a "DUNE COON!"

It is absolutely forbidden for blacks to call a Arab person an "A-RAB!"

It is absolutely forbidden for any other ethnic race to call a Chinese person a "KINK!"

It is absolutely forbidden for and any other ethnic race to call a Hispanics "GREASERS!"

Since we Americans have the power to censor offensive words from Mark Twain American fokelore litteratures, then we censor any worlds from any books including MEIN KAMPF! AND THE TURNER DIARIES!

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Becuase Freedom of Speech in United States is more than just a offensive concept, its a priviledge.

Neda, I miss you so.

Someone's going to accuse you of political correctness, Danny.

Quote Originally Posted by gdogslim View Post
    What about Obama lying about almost everything he says. and the press not calling him on it?
    some specifics, please?

We all know know people change history, facts, opinions to suit their needs.
    And we call them "the religious right" "teabaggers -er, excuse me, tea party members"...

D.L. Hughley on the Bill Maher Show:

Slave isn't an upgrade. I'd rather be a n--- than a slave. If I'm a n--- I can go home. If I'm a slave, I have to go home with you.

gdog: We all know know people change history, facts, opinions to suit their needs.

rb: And we call them "the religious right" "teabaggers -er, excuse me, tea party members"..
    And fundamentalist christians.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2