Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Please, no hip shortened names like MoStNo. If you must give it a nickname, call it Hamsandwich.
    how 'bout NoeDeDa?

In other parts of the country they sample music, in Detroit they sample entire houses. Lt. Dan Bassett is worried they will re-purpose the entire city.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    In other parts of the country they sample music, in Detroit they sample entire houses. Lt. Dan Bassett is worried they will re-purpose the entire city.
    heh. I like this concept -- the ultimate mashup mix. Hopefully it'll be less GirlTalky and more Ludachristish because we know: Talk. Is. Cheap. Thanks, RB!
    Now how do you do dubstep on a house? Clownstep?

I think the art has already served it's purpose... it's gotten people thinking and talking about art, restoring Detroit and creating communities. Plus, it's going to get Detroit attention, both good and bad. I also think the Greenwich Village reference is right on. Art types will move into older neglected neighborhoods and make them livable again while establishing some local culture and color while generating cash flow.

Over the years, I've tried thinking of things that would get people to move back into Detroit in 'groups' that could create communities while also making people feel safer in numbers. I have a feeling that once one of these groups, whomever they may be, starts turning the place around, that there could be a modern 'gold rush' to get in on the action and the revitalization of the city and area.

Default Artists Transform Moran Street

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    I'm six of one and a half dozen of the other on this project. I can see the attraction and benefit of the project, but part of my heart says that amount of money would do the neighborhood a lot of good in repairs and rehabilitation, feeding people, or even assist Hatch in converting our JAIL to an ART CENTER. Inspiration or pragmatism? Both? It's good we're talking about it. And, it seems we have a new poster. Welcome LDB.
    Hatch has the option of doing the years of groundwork that Mitch and Gina have done with Powerhouse and their other projects for years, forging connections with artists and publications and organizations all over the world. You might quibble with the work itself, with the notion of using trashed houses as a blank canvas, with bringing in artists from elsewhere to colonize our ruined cityscape, with many aspects of the whole project. But Mitch and Gina have done the work of building a network that bore the fruit they wanted to produce. Every artist and organization here has the option to do the same in order to bring their vision to life. Nobody handed Powerhouse anything that's not available to anyone else making the connections and nurturing the relationships it takes to do what you want. If somebody wants to do that work to raise dollars to rehab houses for occupancy, or to fix a building for their own purposes, it's up to them to just do it. One project does not negate another.

Yes, it's good we're talking about it. There's a lot to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by Relayer76 View Post
    Art, is that what that is called? $180,000 could have been spent to bring 5 or 6 houses up to liveable standards for people in need. This is elitist B.S. that will not have any positive long term effect.
    Elitist is thinking you know how to spend someone else's $180,000 better than they do. Its their $180,000.

Who knows? This might be more effective than HUD, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachLaser View Post
    I think the art has already served it's purpose... it's gotten people thinking and talking about art, restoring Detroit and creating communities. Plus, it's going to get Detroit attention, both good and bad. I also think the Greenwich Village reference is right on. Art types will move into older neglected neighborhoods and make them livable again while establishing some local culture and color while generating cash flow.

Over the years, I've tried thinking of things that would get people to move back into Detroit in 'groups' that could create communities while also making people feel safer in numbers. I have a feeling that once one of these groups, whomever they may be, starts turning the place around, that there could be a modern 'gold rush' to get in on the action and the revitalization of the city and area.
    Artists are the only ones left to inhabit and rehabilitate these downtrodden neighborhoods in Detroit. Their usual collaborators, the Gay community, fled Detroit for points north and west. Detroit hasn't had a very enlightened attitude or policies toward traditional neighborhood pioneers and much less so toward the citizens who've hung on for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Mary Sunshine View Post
    Hatch has the option of doing the years of groundwork that Mitch and Gina have done with Powerhouse and their other projects for years, forging connections with artists and publications and organizations all over the world. You might quibble with the work itself, with the notion of using trashed houses as a blank canvas, with bringing in artists from elsewhere to colonize our ruined cityscape, with many aspects of the whole project. But Mitch and Gina have done the work of building a network that bore the fruit they wanted to produce. Every artist and organization here has the option to do the same in order to bring their vision to life. Nobody handed Powerhouse anything that's not available to anyone else making the connections and nurturing the relationships it takes to do what you want. If somebody wants to do that work to raise dollars to rehab houses for occupancy, or to fix a building for their own purposes, it's up to them to just do it. One project does not negate another.

Yes, it's good we're talking about it. There's a lot to talk about.
    I like that.....

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Elitist is thinking you know how to spend someone else's $180,000 better than they do. Its their $180,000.

Who knows? This might be more effective than HUD, for example.
    Good point BUT, extrapolate it to the extreme: should they be allowed to spend it on crack, bribes, etc........regardless, I agree with your basic point. And, I can't think of too many things what wouldn't be more effective than HUD.

While we are at it, HATCH could also use some more help, too...We recently got a roof on the old Hamtown jail, but we still need $$$ to repair the neglected boiler and plumbing. We can't yet do what Design 99 did with the Power Station, but....

[[and yes, I'm part of the board of HATCH. )

Is the fence that is constructed out of branches part of this project? To me it's the most interesting aspect of that block.
    Creative and practical.

There is an old phrase that says, "Artists create real estate". I am happy to see this project take root; in addition to this group of people coming in to re-articulate an area, a very good friend of mine has acquired an old fire house, is trying to rehab it on his own, for his studio and possible workshop spaces.

There are a number of individual artists and artist-groups native to Detroit who have staked out spaces and are turning them into productive areas. Maybe the Juxtapoz publicity will shine a light on these projects too.

Quote Originally Posted by LEOQUEEN View Post

There are a number of individual artists and artist-groups native to Detroit who have staked out spaces and are turning them into productive areas. Maybe the Juxtapoz publicity will shine a light on these projects too.
    Shining the light on projects requires removing the bushel basket covering the light. When those who are incubating are ready, the who, what and where will help get the word out. So here is a list, [[places that have a HQ) as I know it today [[in no particular order):
    1. Heidelberg
    2. Submerge/UR
    3.Yes Farm
    4. Trumbullplex
    5. 555
    6. 5 elements
    7. LadyBug
    8. Hatch
    9. Powerhouse/Moran St.
    10. The Lot [[still?)
    11. Alley culture
    12. CAID
    13. Russell Indstl. [[Various -- who can list what's there?)
    14. Burton School/Theater complex. I know Allied Arts runs out of space there, what else?
    15. Tangent/Hastings St. Ballroom
    16. ReView
    17. Imagination Station
    18. The weekly at the Brewery on Canfield
    19. Cass Cafe
    20. Northend
    21. These pop-up shows [[I went to the one this fall on Woodward/State St.)
    22. Bohemian Natnl
    23. Artist Village/BlightBusters

These are the bootstrappers I can think of. I'm sure there are more.
    What happens when/if the natives all get together to take some scalps?

Add to the list.

adding to the list----

24.National Conference of Artists, Michigan Chapter, with two gallery spaces in the Northwest Activities Center
    25.Detroit Repertory Theatre Lobby Gallery
    26.Woodbridge Pub gallery space
    27.SWAN
    28.Dell Pryor Gallery in the Spiral Collective @ Willis & Cass
    29. Johanson Charles Gallery in Eastern Market
    30. Public Pool
    31.Popp's Packing

Yeah they hate it in San Fran when you deface THEIR vintage homes.

"art fag" is an intolerant and anti-intellectual double put down, and as such is completely indefensible. Do not accept usage of that phrase.
    Last edited by mauser; January-03-11 at 07:29 AM. Reason: rambling

Default No HipRoNms

Please, no hip shortened names like MoStNo. If you must give it a nickname, call it Hamsandwich.
    Agreed, I instantly stop paying attention whenever I hit an hipster acronym. Er.....sorry,.....an "HipRoNm".....

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    "art fag" is an intolerant and anti-intellectual double put down, and as such is completely indefensible. Do not accept usage of that phrase.
    I'll be over here licking my balls and waiting for more orders from you.
    [[My apologies to Toby Barlow for stealing this line from "Sharp Teeth.")

Was in Toronto last week for the holidays and saw this in the Toronto Star yesterday. This seemed like a good place to post it.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...awn-in-detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Gianni View Post
    Was in Toronto last week for the holidays and saw this in the Toronto Star yesterday. This seemed like a good place to post it.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...awn-in-detroit
    Nice! Thanks. A well written survey that brings the uninitiated up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Relayer76 View Post
    Art, is that what that is called? $180,000 could have been spent to bring 5 or 6 houses up to liveable standards for people in need. This is elitist B.S. that will not have any positive long term effect.
    Elitist B.S.? Someone's been listening to too much talk radio.

What have you done, and how much money have you invested in Detroit this past year?

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    Stuff like this attracts attention and maybe even some artists who will come and live and create here.
    Yes, it is working. A little bird confirms, that yes, more art imports are in fact buying into the neighborhood. Renewed vision. Renewed spirit [[and a bit of green). Renewed life for NoHam.
    My prayer is: Summer, 2011 in Detroit will be memorably positive up near the Davison. Go, Go Power[[house)rangers!

OMIGOD No! I have a hard enough time explaining where I live without cheesy acronyms. I find that all names given to the area are not accurate of that square of land. It isn't "Hamtramck Heights" as that is actually within Hamtramck city limits, it isn't Nortown, it isn't Conant Gardens. I almost like the fact that it has no real name and I just describe it as "on the northern border of Hamtramck" or "Hamtramck overflow." No hipster names needed until my home's value goes up at least 10k...then they can call it whatever the hell they want.

Relayer has a valid point. Too many homeless in Detroit...yet, look at all the houses! Screwy, ain't it?

Couldn't that money have been used in a better way?
    Sure, someone could have knocked down the houses and called it performance art.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast