Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

As a few posters brought up Texas.

It was announced today Texas will get 4 new seats. Before this election the state house had one more GOP than Dem and that GOP was a former Dem and a swing vote. After this election the GOP controls all branches of gov and will try to draw all GOP seats.

Michigan State and U of Michigan alum who have some rivalry may relate to this. My son who had just turned 18 and is somewhat well-known in my part of the state testified before the legislative committee and he was flawless in the knowledge of our State Senate and House Districts. None of the Aggie reps could fluster him so finally one asked "How come you choose the University of Texas over Texas A&M" Huey replied "Because I want an education".

Someone on here also said one day Texas may go blue, but the national party puts no funds into Texas and there is absolutely no small county strategy for Dems. Texas has 254 counties and the 200+ rural ones can make the difference in many elections.

The ACS number for Michigan's population for 2010 was: 10,039,208 The actual number released today is: 9,883,640. I wouldn't hold much weight with the ACS numbers.
    The ACS isn't intended to measure the population, but their estimate for Michigan was 1.5% too high. If their estimate for Detroit were off the same amount Detroit would come in at roughly 891,000.

My opinion is that it will come in lower than that. I don't have a good sense of how much lower, but I would be pretty surprised if it were less than 800,000.

"Graft and corruption wouldn't have anything to do with it?"

Probably not. As bad as Kwame's abuse of the system was, how much did it really contribute to the overall cost of the system? Most of the corruption involved things like shaking down legitimate contractors to funnel money to Kwame's friends. You would have to find examples of contracts that never should have been awarded or contracts that were massively inflated to show examples of how that impacted the bottom line. DWSD has a huge budget and a million here and there in corruption isn't going to show up in the rates everyone pays. That's how Kwame and Co. got away with it for as long as they did.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Yeah, I think it could be as low as 607, not thousand, actually 607 total persons... Give me a break. There's no way it is as low as 695k. The ACS 5-year data recently reported Detroit at 916,000. If they were off by 200,000+ people, that would be ridiculous.
    Probably right, but I wouldn't be suprised if they were off by more than 100,000. The census estimated Detroit at 870K or so in 2006. Kwame got that number inflated back to 916K. Who knows how, but anything is fair game to question from that administration. If the 870K was even a little high, with continuing population loss for 4 years I think under 800K is very possible.

Is there a reason nobody has the number yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Is there a reason nobody has the number yet?
    I believe those are the earliest tallys from the census bureau, cities, villages, counties and individual data will come later.

"Beginning in February and wrapping up by March 31, 2011, the Census Bureau will release demographic data to the states on a rolling basis so state governments can start the redistricting process."

http://www.census.gov/newsroom/relea...cb10-cn93.html

Here are some bit of good news.

Detroit's population for 2009 is at 916,000

The white population has increased from 116,000 to 140,000. representing 15%.

Black population decreased from 776,000 to 707,000. representing 77%.

The Hispanic population increased from 47,000 to 64,000 representing 7%.

The Asian population increased from 9,900 to 14,000 representing 1.5%

The 2010 the trend will continues. There will be a social and ethnic change in Detroit.

A while back the Free Press ran an article about something called the Iowa plan which uses a non partisan group to determine the redistricting of each state. Is anyone working on that? I believe if it was put to a referendum statewide it would win hands down. It seems so rational and common sense like.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Here are some bit of good news.

Detroit's population for 2009 is at 916,000

The white population has increased from 116,000 to 140,000. representing 15%.

Black population decreased from 776,000 to 707,000. representing 77%.

The Hispanic population increased from 47,000 to 64,000 representing 7%.

The Asian population increased from 9,900 to 14,000 representing 1.5%

The 2010 the trend will continues. There will be a social and ethnic change in Detroit.
    Where did you get that data from?

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Where did you get that data from?
    The U.S. Census Bureau

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I remember the reapportionment 10 years ago... Republicans did the reapportionment so that 2 Democratic districts... Ann Arbor's Lynn Rivers and downriver's John Dingell... would have to fight it out for the same district... of course Dingell won [[much to the disgust of Republicans).

Their reapportioning also had some unintended consequences... such as when Joe Knollenberg eventually got kick out of office because more blue voters were migrating into the 9th District.
    That's right. The Republicans also combined the Saginaw/Bay City district [[don't remember who was the representative at the time) with the Flint-based district of Kildee. These two consolidations allowed them to create a new suburban district for McCotter. They also moved David Bonior's Macomb district outward enough the he decided not to run for re-election and ran for governor instead. That is a very Republican district now, and elects Candice Miller.

I agree they made the new layout for the 9th too marginal [[and areas like Birmingham, West Bloomfield, and Farmington Hills moved towards the Democrats), which led to the defeat of Knollenberg in 2008. I think they gambled that his seniority would carry him through for ten years, so concentrated on making safe seats for Miller, McCotter, and Rogers, and ultimately lost the seat. Still, from their point of view, they gained the McCotter and Miller seats and now the UP-northern LP district, so in total it came out okay.

The problems is that the population in Michigan hasn't increase since 1970 while the populations in other states has increase dramatically. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ha...9_259257_7.pdf

Default One method to redraw districts: use a computer...

Use the state capital as benchmark and then let a computer draw districts in the most symetrical size possible. I believe that Iowa uses some such method.

Why isn't the Detroit census figure available yet? I didn't see it listed on the census website?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    Why isn't the Detroit census figure available yet? I didn't see it listed on the census website?
    The 2010 census data will be released incrementally through March 31, 2011. I don't know when when the city and county numbers will be released.
    Last edited by Left_For_Texas; December-23-10 at 07:39 AM.

As I previously posted, they'll start releasing that data state-by-state starting in February. I haven't seen a list of dates for each state.

Quote Originally Posted by szla View Post
    A while back the Free Press ran an article about something called the Iowa plan which uses a non partisan group to determine the redistricting of each state. Is anyone working on that? I believe if it was put to a referendum statewide it would win hands down. It seems so rational and common sense like.
    Hard to get the parties to vote out their own right to 'fix' the districts though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3