Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I have seen the proposal to redevelop the field and all i can say is that its an impressive plan

In the spring I better tell my Dad to find his mitt and that we are going for a ride,Even at 87 yrs old betchca He can out throw me.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmath View Post
    It remains fenced for the usual chickenshit liability laws that pervade society - "It's private property and if someone hurts themselves they could sue" - this is because a field of grass with a flagpole is SUCH a deathtrap [[?).

Like countless others, I saw my first major league game there. The memory of emerging from the darkness of the stands and looking out onto that green, sunlit grass is something I'll carry with me forever.
    The place was magical, it had an atmosphere that Comerica Park couldn't even begin to touch.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmath View Post
    Like countless others, I saw my first major league game there. The memory of emerging from the darkness of the stands and looking out onto that green, sunlit grass is something I'll carry with me forever.
    Just think blackmath, how incredibly lucky we were as Canadians to be able to have such a landmark, a real peice of roaring, deafening history so very close to home. We are the last in a long line of folks who will have ever had the privilage to step foot in that wonderful old building, to smell its smells, to see its sights, to touch its walls. My only wish is that I had brought a camera with me.

Talking about regrets -- my second game ever at Tiger Stadium was on September 18th, 1996. It was a night game and it was totally freezing. I was there with my mom and a friend of hers from work along with just a small crowd, maybe 5000 people at that game to see a pretty much washed up Roger Clemens and the Red Sox face the hometown boys.

Clemens was warming up in the visiting bullpen and I was down on the sideline to get a few autographs. I was looking to get a few of the Red Sox's autographs after getting Bobby Higginson, Jose Lima's and Travis Fryman's a while before. I see Mo Vaughn and politely ask him to sign my program and he takes one look at it and my Tigers ballcap and says "wrong team, kid" and walks off. Just then, I turn away and walk up the stairs to where we were sitting and I look back over my shoulder to see Roger Clemens signing autographs for a few people gathered there. "He sucks" I thought to myself and I went and took my seat, nursing a hot chocolate.

Had I known he'd go on to strike out 20 Tigers that night I would have had him sign my unripped ticket I had in my pocket that was meant for a friend of mine who decided not to go to the game with us... I still have the ticket, but every time I look at it I cringe.

Regrets.

The site should be named The Grassy Knoll to attract tourists. *wink*

I never realized just how huge the pitcher's mound is. Doesn't look that big on TV.

Tiger Stadium was truly a dump in its later years. There is no way around that. Comerica is a much better stadium that offers many amenities that modern fans prefer.

Seriously, what does Comerica have that Tiger Stadium didn't have?

Was it really necessary to build a new stadium? What did we gain?

#1 I could care less about the luxury suites, since the average fan has never been in one.

#2 We traded in roughly 2500 obstructed view seats at Tiger Stadium, by pushing back roughly 15,000 seats in the upper deck a few hundred feet away from the field.

#3 Tiger Stadium had a capacity for about 53,000 seats, Comerica park seats about 40,000, which is 13,000 less people

#4 Comerica park does have better parking

#5 There is more little Caesars pizza stands at Comerica Park [[If thats susposed to be a good thing)

#6 We got a Farris wheel and a merry go round, since when is that part of baseball?

The only lack of maintaince on Tiger Stadium was done on purpose to give reason to build a new park, and to ultimatly tear it down at the end.

Like an empty field with a fence around it.

As much as I loved Tiger Stadium, there is a time when people need to move on. Tiger Stadium was outdated, cramped, and didn't offer as much as the new park does. Comerica park is beautiful, spacious, and while I wouldn't call it a better baseball experience, it's a better entertainment experience. Things get old, things need to be replaced. In 80 years or so when we are all dead, people will look at the demo of Comerica park the same way that we talk about Tiger Stadium.

I doubt it. Not the same kind of intimacy as Tiger Stadium or the history either.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    As much as I loved Tiger Stadium, there is a time when people need to move on. Tiger Stadium was outdated, cramped, and didn't offer as much as the new park does. Comerica park is beautiful, spacious, and while I wouldn't call it a better baseball experience, it's a better entertainment experience. Things get old, things need to be replaced. In 80 years or so when we are all dead, people will look at the demo of Comerica park the same way that we talk about Tiger Stadium.
    Sorry, the new stadium sucks. I love getting my ass burned by the sun and being a mile away from the plate so that you can have ferris wheels and great views when they show the game on TV. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    Seriously, what does Comerica have that Tiger Stadium didn't have?

Was it really necessary to build a new stadium? What did we gain?

#1 I could care less about the luxury suites, since the average fan has never been in one.

#2 We traded in roughly 2500 obstructed view seats at Tiger Stadium, by pushing back roughly 15,000 seats in the upper deck a few hundred feet away from the field.

#3 Tiger Stadium had a capacity for about 53,000 seats, Comerica park seats about 40,000, which is 13,000 less people

#4 Comerica park does have better parking

#5 There is more little Caesars pizza stands at Comerica Park [[If thats susposed to be a good thing)

#6 We got a Farris wheel and a merry go round, since when is that part of baseball?

The only lack of maintaince on Tiger Stadium was done on purpose to give reason to build a new park, and to ultimatly tear it down at the end.
    A downtown view of the city. That's what Tiger didn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    A downtown view of the city. That's what Tiger didn't have.
    The fact that you couldn't see what was going on outside of the stadium, to me, was a strength. The focus at Tiger Stadium was solely on the game. You were shut out from the outside world. To me, that was perfect.

I understand the logic behind today's baseball malls. That doesn't mean that I like it, though. I much prefer a simple ballpark over all of the Bill Veeck-inspired whistles and bells.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2