Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Sweet Juniper's Grocery article on Urbanophile

A great article about grocery stores in Detroit. Very well written, as would be expected.

Read it here.

Great article. It really does highlight the diversity of options and contrast it with the limited options one has when only big box stores are conveniently available. I will take a Spartan store over a national chain any day.

This stuff drives me crazy too. The Warrendale blog put up a video where he walked through several of the local stores in the area. Lots of fruits, veggies, whatever you want within reason.

I find it curious how everyone focuses on large chains. Well there is still a Super Kmart in the City that sells food, that should count. Heck Aldi is the biggest market chain in the world it should count too. Why is Walmart of all places considered a good grocery store, but Kmart and Aldi are ignored? BTW, I live in Detroit and have a Walmart one block from my house, granted its in the burbs, but should not proximity to the population be looked at before assuming these thing are correct?

I agree that when I hear ivory tower folks esposuing these things or newspapers that are supposed to be representing the City spouting these things they lose a lot of credibility in my book.

This thread won't end well....