Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by HarperNottingham View Post
    That's by no means a done deal.
    The DEGC has yet to indicate its preference for any redevelopment proposal at Michigan and Trumbull.

Someday it may.
    But when is anybody's guess.
    I'd rather see something besides a private or charter school on the Tiger Stadium site... aren't there any vacant schools in the area that could be reused, rather than build anew? Or does Corktown need a school?

I just don't think that a school is the best choice for a main street. Schools usually are more likely to be built in the neighborhoods, rather than on a main artery.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Crime has little to do with greater Downtowns development issues. What is far more important issue is the lack of density, walkability, transit and ammenities. In fact, I'd say it is the most important issue.

Education, crime, employment and other issues will continue to be problems even as density/transit problem is solved, as seen in other major cities.
    I agree that these are serious impediments to development. I would however offer that schools are by far the most important factor. My wife and I would love to live in a historic neighborhood in the city, the one thing holding us back is schools. I cannot bear to put my child in a district that is as corrupt, and as totally incompetent as DPS. No joke, we would already be in Corktown if DPs was even close to an option.

Quote Originally Posted by JDKeepsmiling View Post
    I agree that these are serious impediments to development. I would however offer that schools are by far the most important factor. My wife and I would love to live in a historic neighborhood in the city, the one thing holding us back is schools. I cannot bear to put my child in a district that is as corrupt, and as totally incompetent as DPS. No joke, we would already be in Corktown if DPs was even close to an option.
    Thirty years ago we faced the same dilemma when we moved back to Historic Hubbard Farms. We decided on private schools for our two children. Today I would look closer at DPS and local charter schools. Neighbor children have done fine coming out of Cass and Western International. I suggest talking with some Ctown folks about find out where they send their kids to school, and the issues they face.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    The bottom line is that it doesn't matter if it's 1980 or 1990 or 2000 or 2010 in Detroit. The crime rate is unacceptable. And it ought to be addressed.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. That's all I was saying.

I just don't think that a school is the best choice for a main street. Schools usually are more likely to be built in the neighborhoods, rather than on a main artery.
    Acutally, the current practice is to build schools on main roads, so if population distribution changes the school district can sell the property for business purposes. When they try to sell property located inside neighborhoods, there is almost always conflict with residents who don't want traffic or land use changes on their residential streets.

My perception of Detroit is that most of the city is safer now than in 1990, but that's just how I feel walking around; I don't have any data to back it up. I will say, though, Corktown has been a relatively safe part of Detroit the whole time I've been around here, the past 30 years or so. I worked in Corktown for many years and still hang out there somewhat, and I have never felt the least bit of trepidation walking around.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2