Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Wow, great to see this investment on Library Street! This building looks great. But it doesn't have quite the same charm as the Mudgie's in Corktown. Has anyone heard if they are still planning to close the Corktown location fully once they open up downtown? I know keeping both open was still an option at one point.

The reason that Eph's left was because of landlord/lease issue with building.

Isn't that the same reason that Mudgie's is leaving the Corktown location. Wasn't the lease up...did he extend the lease?

Makes you wonder, what type of landlord is running that property. I'm sure there is not a line up of people take over the place?

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    The reason that Eph's left was because of landlord/lease issue with building.

Isn't that the same reason that Mudgie's is leaving the Corktown location. Wasn't the lease up...did he extend the lease?

Makes you wonder, what type of landlord is running that property. I'm sure there is not a line up of people take over the place?
    Exactly. I try to tell myself, "English, you're exaggerating!" whenever I grumble about Detroit having the very worst commercial landlords in the country. But then things like this happen.

agrahlma Guest

Progress continues...the sidewalk leading up to the entrance was replaced this week. Most of the work that I see these days is taking place on the inside - usually beginning around 6:30 am [[that's when I walk the dogs - lol). Along with Mudgie's [[hopefully), does anyone know what other tenants are scheduled to move in?

I know it’s a small project, but I'm still fascinated by this place for several reasons…
    -I live very close by and have watched much of the construction
    -I love Mudgie's food
    -These types of smaller scale developments are needed throughout the Downtown area to "fill in some of the gaps" with unique [[non-franchised) businesses -IMO

Quote Originally Posted by agrahlma View Post
    Progress continues...the sidewalk leading up to the entrance was replaced this week. Most of the work that I see these days is taking place on the inside - usually beginning around 6:30 am [[that's when I walk the dogs - lol). Along with Mudgie's [[hopefully), does anyone know what other tenants are scheduled to move in?

I know it’s a small project, but I'm still fascinated by this place for several reasons…
    -I live very close by and have watched much of the construction
    -I love Mudgie's food
    -These types of smaller scale developments are needed throughout the Downtown area to "fill in some of the gaps" with unique [[non-franchised) businesses -IMO
    That's what Grand Rapids has done. A building here, a building there, business here, business there. They have pieced together a very nice, vibrant downtown area over the last six years.

the landlord for the current mudgies location lives in florida. she is not too keen on making building repairs.

agrahlma Guest

Work continues...does anyone have an ETA on tenants moving in? I walk by this place every morning and it seems like work has slowed down a little.

I talked to a waitress at Mudgie's last week and they said they're staying put. It was a quick comment and I couldn't ask a follow up so I don't know how reliable the information is.

I talked to a waitress at Mudgie's last week and they said they're staying put.
    I heard the same thing when I was in there for lunch about 3 weeks ago. Opening downtown, YES. Staying open in Corktown, YES. Win-Win, YES.

A definite win - and they will be open during the Corktown Historical Home Tour,another win

agrahlma Guest

My wife and I just walked past the building and we talked to a contractor that said that Blumz [[currently on Broadway/Gratiot) is moving into one of the spots. Also, one of the other spots appears to be an art gallery - Long-Sharp/Curis Contemporary Art. There is still one more store front that is being refinished. I’ll post when I find-out more info.

agrahlma Guest

About a week ago I walked by early in the morning and saw that some A-hole had smashed the front door of the new Blumz shop. This morning I walked by again and saw that another A-hole smashed the window of the galley next to Blumz [[the building at Grand River and Library). A news truck from channel 7 was there. Come on people---really?!?!?!

The new medical building on Michigan near Junction: streetside clinic building smashed last week

at least 3 smashed windows in personal properties two nights ago

To quote the title of the thread

"Mudgie's on the Move" ?????

Is there an update on moving into the new location, and will they keep the corktown location open as well. I plan on eating there next time i'm back in Detroit.

agrahlma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    To quote the title of the thread

"Mudgie's on the Move" ?????

Is there an update on moving into the new location, and will they keep the corktown location open as well. I plan on eating there next time i'm back in Detroit.
    If they are moving downtown, they won't be moving to the building that is referenced throughout this thread.

agrahlma Guest

Mudgie's almost moved in - oh well...

Name:  316872_2159489999566_1616011685_2181007_7176740_n.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  29.7 KB
    Name:  311322_2159489759560_1616011685_2181006_8317953_n.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  25.8 KB

This reno looks great! Kudos to the developer. Does anyone know what the impetus behind this particular project/building was?

I agree that it's great to see this building renovation completed and new occupants inside, livening up another block of downtown. But, since Mudgie's is obviously not an occupant here, what happened to their downtown idea? Did they find room elsewhere? Did they abandon the idea and decide to stick with their landmark Corktown site instead?

Side note: it appears they are about the replace the traffic lights at the Grand River-Farmer-Library intersection, I believe I saw new bases installed in the sidewalk.

agrahlma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    I agree that it's great to see this building renovation completed and new occupants inside, livening up another block of downtown. But, since Mudgie's is obviously not an occupant here, what happened to their downtown idea? Did they find room elsewhere? Did they abandon the idea and decide to stick with their landmark Corktown site instead?

Side note: it appears they are about the replace the traffic lights at the Grand River-Farmer-Library intersection, I believe I saw new bases installed in the sidewalk.
    I don't know of any plans to open a new [[or another) Mudgie's location. Personally, I think a Midtown location could be very successful.

Lunched there today and confirmed that any plans to open a second location have fallen through. They will remain open only in their current location.

I'll add that Mudgie's is another Detroit gem on my A-list to share with out-of-town visitors. This is THE place for lunch while touring the D!!!!

Best news I've read today. I wanted to ask Greg when I was there last week, but he was
    very busy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2