Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    People in a city depressed, both economically & emotionally, will go to a great deal of trouble to have some goddam fun for free.
    bullshit. you can have a fun night for free at home without driving "2 hours" [[as one person was interviewed claimed to have done) in weather that has shut down the area.
    but priorities are priorities. Getting free tickets to a meaningless football game always will outweigh getting to work or getting one's kids to school.

muskie1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    bullshit. you can have a fun night for free at home without driving "2 hours" [[as one person was interviewed claimed to have done) in weather that has shut down the area.
    but priorities are priorities. Getting free tickets to a meaningless football game always will outweigh getting to work or getting one's kids to school.
    Weather shut down the area? Sounds like someone from Florida. People in Michigan are tough when it comes to weather. Anyone of course can have fun at home at any time. People will venture out,the roads will be fine by then. Some people have a sense of adventure and seize it when it comes along,others sit at home and wait for life to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by muskie1 View Post
    Weather shut down the area? Sounds like someone from Florida. People in Michigan are tough when it comes to weather. Anyone of course can have fun at home at any time. People will venture out,the roads will be fine by then. Some people have a sense of adventure and seize it when it comes along,others sit at home and wait for life to happen.
    if they are so tough why are 400 schools closed? Why can't anyone seem to get their kids to school if its too cold for them to wait for a bus? Go over to the "why is DPS open thread. Why are the schools empty but tens of thousands of free tickets get snapped up in a hour?

Its not the going out tonight that makes me laugh ...it's all those people that made a mad dash down there this morning during the morning rush that was apparently "extremely hazardous"

Ravine Guest

if they are so tough why are 400 schools closed? Why can't anyone seem to get their kids to school if its too cold for them to wait for a bus? Go over to the "why is DPS open thread. Why are the schools empty but tens of thousands of free tickets get snapped up in a hour?

Its not the going out tonight that makes me laugh ...it's all those people that made a mad dash down there this morning during the morning rush that was apparently "extremely hazardous"
    Yeah, your sense of amusement is palpable.

Parents don't close schools. School administrators close schools.

Let me get this straight... Bailey... you're comparing school administrators and school safety issues.... with diehard football fans....

ROFLMAO..... how can an analogy get any more stupid than that????

[[I'm sure I'll find out shortly!..... )
    Last edited by Gistok; December-13-10 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Let me get this straight... Bailey... you're comparing school administrators and school safety issues.... with diehard football fans....

ROFLMAO..... how can an analogy get any more stupid than that????

[[I'm sure I'll find out shortly!..... )
    No. I'm not. I'm laughing at the lengths people will go to to get somethign for free even on a day that was such a "severe weather event" all sorts of things were affected. If an assistant principal [[the one who said he would "probably" be at school if were open..."probably"-- guess he was going to decide between calling in and getting free tix) can get to FF to wait in line at 745 am....he damn well can get to his school and be open. If the various dads who were there and waited in line for hours could get there from Berkley, novi..etc...they could have gotten their kids to school.

I just think it's funny that anyone who was interviewed or called into the radio devoted at least a portion of the time to the difficult driving at 7 am and or the frigid temps....which are apparently tolerable if you are waiting for free tickets to a meaningless game, but can NOT BE TOLERATED if you are driving to work or have to get your kids to school.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Parents don't close schools. School administrators close schools.
    Yeah, but if sally and johnny have to wait at a cold bus stop too long, you think mommy and dadddy aren't "demanding" to know why school wasn't called off?

Sorry for being so snarky Bailey... I'm not a football fan... but I guess that they are a diehard group that will stick with a team for decades, even if they lose.... that's dedication...

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy123 View Post
    wow some people really grasp at straws here.

#1 this isn't MNF or even a nationally televised game. You won't even be able to see it unless you go to Ford Field or have NFL Sunday Ticket. The only foot ball you are getting tomorrow, unless you go downtown, is Baltimore vs Houston.

#2 The word "Detroit" being used on national TV means jack. It is sad that anyone who thinks hearing the name of a city on TV is some magical thing that makes it the most wonderful place on earth. Try again

#3 If you think Detroit was chosen because it is some beacon of greatness to host this game get real. Just looking at pro fields in the region [[because the Giants are stuck in KC) you have Soldier Field, Lambeau Field, Arrowhead Stadium, The Edward Jones Dome, Ford Field, Cleveland Browns Stadium and Paul Brown stadium. Out of all of those only Ford Field And Edward Jones Dome are covered. Of the 2 teams that play at those stadiums, only 1 played at home [[The Rams were at NO). Take a guess at which stadium was most ready to host a game in the shortest amount of time.
    WOW that's absolutely amazing that you could squeeze out that much thought from a one sentence comment that you quoted. REALLY put all of us in our place who are taking whatever positives we can out of this

I think its cool we are hosting it, Im going and I hear it is a sellout, or is that a giveout. Whatever, its great the place will be packed for 2 out of town teams in tail end of a major snow storm. We are truly great football fans.
    Im rooting for the Vikes.

Well, it's historic. Brett Favre and his streak of starting games is kaput. He's inactive and done for tonight's game.

Watching the game, there's lots of empty seats. Upper corners are totally empty and there's the big block of seats at the 50 yard line that were kept available for ticket holders from Minnesota. The biggest mistake they made was letting anyone with a ticket stub from yesterday use it today. There was no way to know how many would show up and it looks like few did. I also think they should have limited it to 2 tickets per fan instead of 4. Lots of fans who couldn't sell their extras probably just threw them away or put them in their pocket. Meanwhile people who would have really appreciated the free ticket stood in the cold and got turned away.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Watching the game, there's lots of empty seats. Upper corners are totally empty and there's the big block of seats at the 50 yard line that were kept available for ticket holders from Minnesota. The biggest mistake they made was letting anyone with a ticket stub from yesterday use it today. There was no way to know how many would show up and it looks like few did. I also think they should have limited it to 2 tickets per fan instead of 4. Lots of fans who couldn't sell their extras probably just threw them away or put them in their pocket. Meanwhile people who would have really appreciated the free ticket stood in the cold and got turned away.
    Game just started, give it time.

Sorry too lazy and tired to read this whole thread, is this game on TV? By the way Happy Holidays everyone! Is there a party planned to celebrate? I really want to meet some of you guys.

What channel?

Channel 437 on my NFL Sunday Ticket Package here in Toronto.

Probably some things could have been different, but no way in hell am I going to give the Lions any grief over this. I applaud them.

Well dang it! Off to dream land for me then.

what channel on TV in detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    what channel on TV in detroit?
    It's not.

Unless you have access to Sunday Ticket

NFL Network at Midnight.

citylover Guest

Default record setting

Or ending might be more appropriate, but Bret Favre I last heard is not playing breaking some two hundred plus game streak...........coincidentally and sadly Lou Gehrigs playing streak also ended in Detroit .

I am impressed and am not afraid to admit that I take a certain measure of pride in the fact that the Detroit area has pulled off two major things this past week; the big chill in Ann Arbor and more impressively the turn around of Ford field in twenty four hours for another NFL game something that has never[[ttbomk)never been done before.......just to let the squares out there know we are still here and capable.

thatguy123 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by citylover View Post
    r and more impressively the turn around of Ford field in twenty four hours for another NFL game something that has never[[ttbomk)never been done before.......just to let the squares out there know we are still here and capable.
    Wow I really hope you mean just at ford field. B/C if not people on this board really need to stop pulling random stats out of their ass.

Sunday Nov 19th 2006 Bears 10, Jets 0 [[at Giants Stadium)
    Monday Nov 20th 2006 Jags 26, Giants 10 [[at Giants Stadium)

Sunday Dec 1st 2002 Titans 32, Giants 29 [[OT) [[at Giants stadium)
    Monday Dec 2nd 2002 Raiders, 26, Jets 20 [[at Giants stadium)

Sunday Sep 14th 2003 Dolphins 21, Jets 10 [[at Giants Stadium)
    Monday Sep 15th 2003 Cowboys 35, Giants 32 [[OT) [[at Giants Stadium)

A little research or even football knowledge would give you this info.

citylover Guest

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy123 View Post
    Wow I really hope you mean just at ford field. B/C if not people on this board really need to stop pulling random stats out of their ass.

Sunday Nov 19th 2006 Bears 10, Jets 0 [[at Giants Stadium)
    Monday Nov 20th 2006 Jags 26, Giants 10 [[at Giants Stadium)

Sunday Dec 1st 2002 Titans 32, Giants 29 [[OT) [[at Giants stadium)
    Monday Dec 2nd 2002 Raiders, 26, Jets 20 [[at Giants stadium)

Sunday Sep 14th 2003 Dolphins 21, Jets 10 [[at Giants Stadium)
    Monday Sep 15th 2003 Cowboys 35, Giants 32 [[OT) [[at Giants Stadium)

A little research or even football knowledge would give you this info.
    Why bother when you are here to do it for me?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast