Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Back to Richard Marr and Boston-Edison:

The Boston-Edison Historic District lists 1186 Edison as Richard Marr's home from the late teens until the late 1940s. It's a fairly modest, but nicely done Tudor and certainly holds its own wthin its subdivision on Edison and Atkinson. It looks like it could be one of his early works; but B-E's not stating that, they're just saying he lived there.

http://www.historicbostonedison.org/history/people_eng.shtml#marr

Name:  1186 Edison.jpg
Views: 2100
Size:  51.7 KB

Love Gehrke - I worry about LaSalle though. Collection of great houses that appears to be slipping down the slope.

If anyone's interested, here's a link to a 2 year old thread in which we discussed the houses on that stretch of LaSalle Blvd.

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...ardens-Tragedy

Quote Originally Posted by southofbloor View Post
    Love Gehrke - I worry about LaSalle though. Collection of great houses that appears to be slipping down the slope.
    One of the great unknowns in the city so to speak! I wonder if its to late for an historic designation by the city? I am having fun posting and I am glad everyone is enjoying the pics. Here are a few from relatively unknown architects.

1520 Seminole built in 1912 designed by Eugene Hatch
    1801 Iroquois built in 1913 designed by Eugene Hatch-Alvin McCauley's home until he moved to Grosse Pointe.
    759 Seminole built in 1898 designed by Joseph Mills
    270 East Ferry built in 1899 designed by Joseph Mills
    1431 Seminole built in 1915 designed by Preston, Walker & Brown
    872 West Boston Boulevard designed by Preston, Walker & Brown
    1481 Seminole built in 1912 designed by Bonnah & Chaffee
    1488 Burns built in 1915 designed by Bonnah & Chaffee
    233 Erskine built in 1905 designed by Mildner & Eisen
    3465 Burns built in 1918 designed by Mildner & Eisen
    Attached Images Attached Images                    

These lists are great - im going to have to go back and digest... Lots here.

I had put 972 west Boston in my mind down as a burrowes - looks like someone is working on it. A couple of years ago it was a bit rough.

Thanks for these.

Quote Originally Posted by southofbloor View Post
    These lists are great - im going to have to go back and digest... Lots here. I had put 972 west Boston in my mind down as a burrowes - looks like someone is working on it. A couple of years ago it was a bit rough. Thanks for these.
    Your Welcome! Do I need to post any Kahn pics?
    Last edited by p69rrh51; March-22-12 at 10:47 PM.

For southofbloor, Partick, p69rrh51, and any other fans of Hans Gehrke's work: here's a scan of the article mentioned by Patick on a previous thread and pictured by p69rrh51 in post #199 on this thread. It's from The House Beautiful, 1914.

Name:  Arden Park #1.jpg
Views: 2261
Size:  56.7 KB
    Name:  Arden Park #2.jpg
Views: 2205
Size:  48.5 KB

I've got 2 more pages; but they don't seem to be uploading. I'll try again tomorrow.
    Last edited by Neilr; March-22-12 at 11:04 PM.

I have the gambrel as a George Mason or Mason and Rice, which i guess could be Kahn as well? George Wooley res on Chicago blvd. I'd post the archival pic but flight is about to take off... Yes would like to see Kahns if you have!

Not in any order but a nice area of the city that is lost sometimes.

54 Arden Park Boulevard built in 1917 Arden Park-George Mason
    541 Arden Park Boulevard built in 1915 Arden Park-Baxter, O'Dell and Halpin
    144 East Boston Boulevard built in 1906 Arden Park-William E.N. Hunter
    115 Arden Park built in 1913 Arden Park-Louis Kamper
    121 East Boston Boulevard built in 1900-original architect unknown-SHG did 1911 remodeling
    75 East Boston Boulevard built in 1906-Smith, Hinchman & Grylls
    210 East Boston Boulevard built in 1903-Smith, Hinchman & Grylls
    301 East Boston Boulevard built in 1911-Smith, Hinchman & Grylls
    250 East Boston Boulevard built in 1907-Albert Kahn
    30 Arden Park Boulevard built in 1915-Marcus Burrowes
    75 Arden Park built in 1917-Marcus Burrowes
    294 East Boston Boulevard built in 1916-Dalton Wells
    235 Arden Park built in 1911-Bryant-Detwiler John Bryant's home. Builders not architects B-D were involved in many of the largest construction projects in the first half of the 20th century and the demise of the company is funny/tragic.

I think we need to expand this thread to include SE MI/Windsor or just start a new, joint thread lol

P69rrh51, your information and pictures of the mansions in the Arden Park/East Boston Historic District are great. Thanks for sharing. I'd like to add a bit of information [[both fact and some opinion) about some of the houses you've listed, if I may.

54 Arden Park is, IMO, one of the most understated, elegant houses in the city. It was built for Frederick Fisher, one of the many Fisher Bros. Somewhat later it was purchased by Dr. and Mrs. Dewitt Burton. They were founders of Burton Mercy Hospital, one of Detroit' black owned hospitals that were opened because black doctors were prevented from being on staff at our major hospitals. The Burtons were pillars of Detroit's elite black community for years. I believe Mrs. Burton continued living in the house until her death at about 100, perhaps 10 years ago.

115 Arden Park: The staircase to the second floor is quite grand. If you are ever going by this house, notice the stairwell windows on the west side. They will give you an idea of the interior. There is a very similar house in Grosse Pointe.

121 East Boston was the childhood home of Eleanor Clay Ford. She was related to J. L. Hudson.

75 East Boston was built for John Dodge. His widow, Matilda Dodge Wilson went on to build Meadowbrook Hall. It is the current home of the Catholic Archbishop of Detroit.

75 Arden Park was built for Edmund Vier, an early GM exec. Later it was owned by a gambler from whom Prophet Jones bought the house and then painted it white. 15 years ago, the detroit News published an article about Prophet Jones.
    http://apps.detnews.com/apps/history/index.php?id=182
    The article does have several errors, however. First, it pictures the wrong house [[I have no idea where the pictured house is/was located.) Second, Prophet Jones is not buried in Elmwood. And lastly, it under-reports Prophet Jones' sense of flamboyance [[I'm serious.)

Quoting Prophet Jones: "It makes me sad because a lot of people make fun of me. I go to my room and cry. Then I realize they are wrong and I powder my nose and forget about it."

And in closing, his trademark : "All is well."

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    P69rrh51, your information and pictures of the mansions in the Arden Park/East Boston Historic District are great. Thanks for sharing. I'd like to add a bit of information [[both fact and some opinion) about some of the houses you've listed, if I may.

54 Arden Park is, IMO, one of the most understated, elegant houses in the city. It was built for Frederick Fisher, one of the many Fisher Bros. Somewhat later it was purchased by Dr. and Mrs. Dewitt Burton. They were founders of Burton Mercy Hospital, one of Detroit' black owned hospitals that were opened because black doctors were prevented from being on staff at our major hospitals. The Burtons were pillars of Detroit's elite black community for years. I believe Mrs. Burton continued living in the house until her death at about 100, perhaps 10 years ago.

115 Arden Park: The staircase to the second floor is quite grand. If you are ever going by this house, notice the stairwell windows on the west side. They will give you an idea of the interior. There is a very similar house in Grosse Pointe.

121 East Boston was the childhood home of Eleanor Clay Ford. She was related to J. L. Hudson.

75 East Boston was built for John Dodge. His widow, Matilda Dodge Wilson went on to build Meadowbrook Hall. It is the current home of the Catholic Archbishop of Detroit.

75 Arden Park was built for Edmund Vier, an early GM exec. Later it was owned by a gambler from whom Prophet Jones bought the house and then painted it white. 15 years ago, the detroit News published an article about Prophet Jones.
    http://apps.detnews.com/apps/history/index.php?id=182
    The article does have several errors, however. First, it pictures the wrong house [[I have no idea where the pictured house is/was located.) Second, Prophet Jones is not buried in Elmwood. And lastly, it under-reports Prophet Jones' sense of flamboyance [[I'm serious.)

Quoting Prophet Jones: "It makes me sad because a lot of people make fun of me. I go to my room and cry. Then I realize they are wrong and I powder my nose and forget about it."

And in closing, his trademark : "All is well."
    The current owner of 54 is an old friend of the family. When he purchased the home his insurance agent "almost" had a heart attack telling him he could not insure the home as the replacement value was too high.
    144 E. Boston Blvd was built for Willard Pardridge's home. Principal of Pardridge and Blackwell Dept St.
    30 Arden Park was built for Max Brook.
    541 Arden Park was built for Angus McLean

What's the story of that Flemish-syled house 2 doors down from the Fisher in Arden Park?

90 Arden Park-I do not know who the architect was. The home was built for Byron Everitt in 1916. Everitt manufactured the first bodies for Ramson Olds. In 1919 the home was sold to Clayton Grinnell.

This sight in not cooperating this evening! A few more homes from around the city.

Pollmar & Ropes

701 West Bethune built in 1907 New Center Historic District
    1940 Wellesley built in 1921

And few more!

Alvin Harley

8100-8120 Saint Paul built in 1912 West Village Historic District Detroit
    2184 Burns built in 1915
    246 East Ferry Avenue built in 1916 East Ferry Avenue Historic District
    1446 Chicago Boulevard built in 1916
    1441 Strathcona built in 1921
    19346 Berkeley built in 1924 Sherwood Forest Historic District

Attending WSU I drove by this home for years wondering what the story was with it. Then I ran into a drawing of the home in an old architecture magazine and was blown away there it was all the information I had been seeking. Designed by Edward Van Leyen in 1898 71 East Edsel Ford Service Drive [[originally 71 Medbury)
    Last edited by p69rrh51; March-23-12 at 08:37 PM.

This house on Fiske has an interesting contrast with it's background.

Attachment 12685

I have the complete list of George Mason's works, but it's a copy, so I need to scan it. Ain't no way I am going to manually type it all out!

This home at 246 East Ferry

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/attachm...8&d=1332545976

from p69rrh51's post #217, several posts up, was the Fritz Funeral Home for many years. Before the Fritz family bought it, this house was the home of Prophet Jones. Prophet Jones moved from here to the French chateau at 75 Arden Park.

It is now owned by CCS and used as office space. It's somewhat open to visitors [[I'd use the parking lot door in the rear.) and, to me, well worth seeing. The staircase and landing are evry nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I have the complete list of George Mason's works, but it's a copy, so I need to scan it. Ain't no way I am going to manually type it all out!
    Anything on George is always appreciated!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    This house on Fiske has an interesting contrast with it's background.

Attachment 12685
    Unfortunately its not the only home in Berry that is out of place! Here are some of the homes that do fit. Not included are homes already posted.

Donaldson & Meier

354 Fiske built in 1924
    400 Fiske built in 1924
    445 Fiske built in 1924
    325 Fiske built in 1925
    475 Fiske built in 1925
    535 Fiske built in 1925

More from Berry

Joseph Jogerst:

9090 Dwight built in 1930
    9110 Dwight built in 1921
    9200 Dwight built in 1921
    9214 Dwight built in 1921
    9120 Dwight built in 1920

The homes were designed for members of the Weber family,

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I think we need to expand this thread to include SE MI/Windsor or just start a new, joint thread lol
    Not yet but in the near future still have plent of detroit left.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast