Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by d'oh View Post
    More than that, she moved back to Detroit from LA after her father was nearly killed in a home invasion, to take care of him. When he died she stayed......
    I for one am glad she did stay.
    I met her once at her home in Detroit[[in the golf course community).I'd heard she lived next door to a client of my father. Being a life long fan I went to dad's client's house as often as I could. It took about two weeks but I finally got lucky. I was doing some work at client's home&stepped inside to answer a question for the homeowner. When I came back out one of dad's employees yelled over to me "Aretha just went in [[her house)". I ran down to my car to get one of her cassettes hoping to have her sign it. After I got the tape I ran up the front lawn asking employee if she was still inside. Just as I got up the yard I saw a long black limo pulling out of the next drive. I knew it was her. I went running like a wild man down the front yard yelling "Aretha!Hey!Stop!Please stop!!" I stood in the street&watched the car drive away then I saw break lights come on &the limo backed up. When the car got to me the back window rolled down&there sat the Queen of Soul. I almost had a heart attack on the spot. She quietly said "Hello baby.Was that you calling me?" I said yes. She introduced herself and asked my name. I replied with a smile "Aretha" She said "That's my name.What's yours?" I said "Aretha" lol. She said "Let's try this again.I'm Aretha What's your name baby?" I finally remembered my name and introduced myself to her.
    Long story short she was very gracious,thanked me for being a fan of her work,gave me a compliment,signed my cassette,and told me to feel free to say hello when I saw her at home,then drove away.
    There will never be another Aretha Franklin. I'm proud to say our paths crossed&even prouder to tell people that the Queen lives here!
    God Bless&keep you Aretha!

citylover Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    My favorite Aretha is this rendition of the Tommy Dorsey gospel great "Precious Lord Take My Hand" sung by the then 14 year old Aretha at the side of her father and civil rights activist Rev. CL Franklin in 1956. You can hear how she could move already an audience with her blossoming powerful and youthful voice. Let's hope she is holding that hand today. Get well Aretha!
    Lowell, the Dorsey you refer to is Thomas Dorsey; some might confuse this with the great trombonist/bandleader Tommy Dorsey...thanks for posting this song.

Have you seen that new [[I think) commercial with her and Liza Minnelli? Seems kind of insensitive to keep showing it. Makes me cringe every time.

Correct citylover. I knew better too, a slip of pen, er keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    I for one am glad she did stay.
    I met her once at her home in Detroit[[in the golf course community).I'd heard she lived next door to a client of my father. Being a life long fan I went to dad's client's house as often as I could. It took about two weeks but I finally got lucky. I was doing some work at client's home&stepped inside to answer a question for the homeowner. When I came back out one of dad's employees yelled over to me "Aretha just went in [[her house)". I ran down to my car to get one of her cassettes hoping to have her sign it. After I got the tape I ran up the front lawn asking employee if she was still inside. Just as I got up the yard I saw a long black limo pulling out of the next drive. I knew it was her. I went running like a wild man down the front yard yelling "Aretha!Hey!Stop!Please stop!!" I stood in the street&watched the car drive away then I saw break lights come on &the limo backed up. When the car got to me the back window rolled down&there sat the Queen of Soul. I almost had a heart attack on the spot. She quietly said "Hello baby.Was that you calling me?" I said yes. She introduced herself and asked my name. I replied with a smile "Aretha" She said "That's my name.What's yours?" I said "Aretha" lol. She said "Let's try this again.I'm Aretha What's your name baby?" I finally remembered my name and introduced myself to her.
    Long story short she was very gracious,thanked me for being a fan of her work,gave me a compliment,signed my cassette,and told me to feel free to say hello when I saw her at home,then drove away.
    There will never be another Aretha Franklin. I'm proud to say our paths crossed&even prouder to tell people that the Queen lives here!
    God Bless&keep you Aretha!
    That was so nice of her to have the car stop. Most people wouldn't do that.
    Adorable story. Thanks for sharing with us.

Amika,I'll never forget her kindness as long as I live.

Default Arethat Franklin had cancer

Aretha stated it has been resolved, my hope is she does not have cancer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2