Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rodj44137 View Post
    Excuse my question, but I don't live in MI anymore. There used to be another auto repair shop on Woodward somewhere north of 8 mile. I remember they had a car sticking out of the second story that always had the front wheels turning. I've looked on Google streetview, but don't know where to start looking and don't know if it's still there. Do remember it was on the east side of Woodward.
    It's called Wetmore's, it's in Ferndale, it's very much still there, and it's on the west side of Woodward. Here's your Street View.
    Last edited by Augustiner; December-05-10 at 12:37 PM.

Thanks Augustiner. I remember when I was a kid watching them when they replaced a car from the '40's with a '60 Chrysler. Can't make out the car that's there now, but thanks for helping bring back the memory!

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Interesting that there aren't 100 posts about how it's impossible to do business in the suburbs and postulating on why it's closing [[neighborhood sucks, crime, city issues, etc). I guess that only happens when a business in the city closes.
    No need to speculate. The owner was looking for a change after the death of his wife.

From the Detroit News: "The 54-year-old plans to reinvent his life and pursue a long-held dream to attend law school at Wayne State University. Still, he recognizes the historic repair shop that specialized in both late-model and vintage cars may face a dismal future."

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Does anyone have any idea what the asking price was for the business? It's a shame none of the employees wanted to take it over like what he had done when he worked there as a mechanic. It makes me think that the price was too high or the people he wanted to sell it to just didn't have the management moxie to run it.

I'm hoping it stays intact somehow someway. It's a great chunk of Woodward history that shouldn't go under the wrecking ball; there's too much gone already. We can only hope.

Thinking about the real estate principle of "highest and best use", that stretch of Woodward doesn't seem best used for auto repair. Another type of business can probably afford to pay more rent, and will make more money there than an auto repair shop.

Vinsetta could reconstitute just about anywhere and carry on as they did. I don't know how it is now, but you used to have to know someone to become a customer there.

Did Vimsetta's still pump gas? My memory says in the 60's it was a Shell dealer.

As to Wetmore's, it's on the WEST side of Woodward, on the corner of Woodward and W. Drayton.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Thinking about the real estate principle of "highest and best use", that stretch of Woodward doesn't seem best used for auto repair. Another type of business can probably afford to pay more rent, and will make more money there than an auto repair shop.

Vinsetta could reconstitute just about anywhere and carry on as they did. I don't know how it is now, but you used to have to know someone to become a customer there.
    I'd have to disagree because Northern Automotive repair is just a few blocks south and in Ferndale, there's Wetmore's, Minser's, and Northland Collision. None of those places seem to be hurting for business and quite frankly I never saw at any time where Vinsetta didn't have a handful of cars outside. I don't think they were hurting for business- but it just might be more of a wanting out of the business to pursue other things.

Why not turn it into a restaurant or bar?

How interesting.

Filed under FWIW - At one point in time not too long ago, Vinsetta Garage took over the maintenance routine for the Berkley Police Department. I wonder what's going to happen with that? What will happen to the BPD hot rod cop car?

I worked on my brakes on one of the many cars I've owned; went to Murray's right across the street and they suggested that I just have my rotors turned at the place across the street. I went in to see what the cost was and the folks inquired if I lived on Vinsetta Blvd in Royal Oak. When I said no, they showed me the door with nothing more than a rude see you later.

Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    I'd have to disagree because Northern Automotive repair is just a few blocks south and in Ferndale, there's Wetmore's, Minser's, and Northland Collision. None of those places seem to be hurting for business and quite frankly I never saw at any time where Vinsetta didn't have a handful of cars outside. I don't think they were hurting for business- but it just might be more of a wanting out of the business to pursue other things.
    I'm not saying they don't make money, only that another type of business [[retail, dining, etc.) would probably make more, and the car repair places would do fine in a lower-rent location, where most car places locate.

I believe car repair places will be enjoying a resurgence of business, with this economy.

Hope you like it...

And many, many, many more videos.

Could someone please make a decent op-ed for Jalopnik?

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    How interesting.

Filed under FWIW - At one point in time not too long ago, Vinsetta Garage took over the maintenance routine for the Berkley Police Department. I wonder what's going to happen with that? What will happen to the BPD hot rod cop car?

I worked on my brakes on one of the many cars I've owned; went to Murray's right across the street and they suggested that I just have my rotors turned at the place across the street. I went in to see what the cost was and the folks inquired if I lived on Vinsetta Blvd in Royal Oak. When I said no, they showed me the door with nothing more than a rude see you later.

Oh well.
    Not sure I understand what the problem was. Did you have to live on Vinsetta or they wouldn't service your vehicle? That doesn't seem to make sense, how could they only work on cars from people who lived on one particular street?

It's probably the case the current owner can make more money selling the real estate on woodward, than in selling the business to one of his employees or anyone else. The dirt is worth more than the building, so he is doing what most people would do, going with the money. Sad but likely.

Hopefully the Woodward Avenue Action Association steps into save it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Could someone please make a decent op-ed for Jalopnik?

I'd be surprised if they weren't already on this. Some of the fellows are local...they were regulars when I was at Eph's. Those were some of the best discussions I had there, too, they are funny and passionate folk.

If I had the money I would buy the place move it to someware on South Telegraph, Sell the land and live with it.Always loved that place.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    It's probably the case the current owner can make more money selling the real estate on woodward, than in selling the business to one of his employees or anyone else. The dirt is worth more than the building, so he is doing what most people would do, going with the money. Sad but likely.
    Your absolutly correct, the land in that area of Woodward is so valuable that the real estate people go around all the time trying to solicit people to sell. The owner probably got the right offer, and decided to move on with his life.

Its just like several years ago Hunter House Hamburgers was part of some deal where some hotel wanted to buy the entire city block, they where going to pay the owners a ton of money to sell the property and then when they built the hotel Hunter House would re-open inside the hotel. That never happened, but just goes to show how much land is worth on that part of woodward.

It would be a real shame to lose that structure. Moving it to Greenfield Village would at least be something, I don't know how realistic it is. But even moving it off Woodward would be a shame. When people come every year for the Dream Cruise, I'm sure it's a highlight of the ride to drive past that service station in their classic cars.

Tear that schitt down!

Mr. Houdini Guest

Maybe they will put up a Chili's in its place!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2