Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

From the two photos posted here it looks as though they are leaving the original structure? If anything they have created a parking spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    From the two photos posted here it looks as though they are leaving the original structure? If anything they have created a parking spot.
    Cass Tech is almost like Tiger Stadium, where there is a group trying to save the origional part of the building. When they did the Tiger Stadium demolition they first took down everything to the origional 1912 footprint.

They will finish taking down the 1980's addition, then George Jackson is going to cry that we have a half demolished building and they will take the rest of it down.

I don't care what anyone says, when your fighting to save a historic building, once you allow the bulldozers and demolition equipment to come in and do even a partial demolition, you can't get rid of them and eventually they will take down the entire building.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByDon View Post
    5/28/2011`

Attachment 9824
    Look at all of those empty lots and the development that they attract.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    Cass Tech is almost like Tiger Stadium, where there is a group trying to save the origional part of the building. When they did the Tiger Stadium demolition they first took down everything to the origional 1912 footprint.

They will finish taking down the 1980's addition, then George Jackson is going to cry that we have a half demolished building and they will take the rest of it down.

I don't care what anyone says, when your fighting to save a historic building, once you allow the bulldozers and demolition equipment to come in and do even a partial demolition, you can't get rid of them and eventually they will take down the entire building.
    I agree,at this point it is in a more desirable project position as far as marketing,I wonder what the asking price actually was from the school board as there are many more up for sale and are they for sale competitively.

I understand schools are considered per say public assets but I wonder if it may be better to sell even for $1 to somebody that comes up with a plan that involves a reuse plan for the building that adds jobs for the community or a high benefit for the majority in the community.

What is more of an asset to the community a vacant derelict tax exempt school that is going to include future costs including demolition and one more vacant lot or a viable tax paying business that is employing residents?

I would willing to bet even at this point if they said give me a $100 and a viable reuse with funding in place this property would become extremely desirable real fast.
    Last edited by Richard; June-09-11 at 07:12 PM.

Ohhh God...I shouldn't do this and normally wouldn't do this, but I can't resist and besides it is after all....Cass Tech, right? Lets go inside:
    Name:  DSC_0488.jpg
Views: 2306
Size:  39.9 KB
    Name:  DSC_0477.jpg
Views: 4437
Size:  43.5 KB
    These pictures are very recent!
    You want some more?

hey, that's my old locker there! yes, post some more, pls.

Default Hallway picture before and after.

This is how the hallway looked in the 1966 Yearbook, page 2.
    Name:  hallway - Copy.jpg
Views: 1754
Size:  40.3 KB

As of 6:00 p.m. Thursday, 6-9-11, the old part of Cass Tech was being bulldozed.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    As of 6:00 p.m. Thursday, 6-9-11, the old part of Cass Tech was being bulldozed.
    Confirmed. Yesterday they breached the 'old' walls on the back side, starting by cutting into the middle courtyard. Last week at some point they finished removing both of the front archways that had the CT info in them, apparently for some sort of memorial peice at the new CT.

Has anyone heard anything, substantiated or not, about the last ditch effort to save the old part? Will try to snap a pic today as I pass by on the bus.

I drove by last sunday. All the stonework from the front is down and on pallets on the sidewalk.
    I wonder where it's going?

On michigannow.org Interviews with Snyder and Bing about demolishing Cass will be posted this weekend.

Some photos there now.

http://www.michigannow.org/2011/06/1...-of-cass-tech/

Drove past CT this afternoon. There will be no saving the old building now.

They tore into the south end pretty good.

Another damn bald lot to stare at while I work now I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by daft View Post
    hey, that's my old locker there! yes, post some more, pls.
    Okay...one more for today...more?
    Name:  DSC_0495.jpg
Views: 1580
Size:  50.6 KB

I cannot believe that NOBODY has shown recent demo of the open auditorium yetI
    But don't worry, you can always count on me!

Name:  DSC_0197.jpg
Views: 1585
Size:  39.2 KB
    Name:  DSC_0178.jpg
Views: 1453
Size:  54.5 KB

How about a NIGHT SHOT!

Name:  DSC_0109.jpg
Views: 1428
Size:  51.6 KB

How about from the ROOFTOP! LOL!

Name:  DSC_0408.jpg
Views: 1641
Size:  44.2 KB

Bob did you really sneak into CT WHILE it was being demolished lol, balls man balls

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    Bob did you really sneak into CT WHILE it was being demolished lol, balls man balls
    Thanks MCS...Ill take it as a compliment as I talk about it on my tumblr...heres the link if you are interested http://detroitbob66.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob66 View Post
    I cannot believe that NOBODY has shown recent demo of the open auditorium yetI
    But don't worry, you can always count on me!

Name:  DSC_0197.jpg
Views: 1585
Size:  39.2 KB
    Name:  DSC_0178.jpg
Views: 1453
Size:  54.5 KB

How about a NIGHT SHOT!

Name:  DSC_0109.jpg
Views: 1428
Size:  51.6 KB

How about from the ROOFTOP! LOL!

Name:  DSC_0408.jpg
Views: 1641
Size:  44.2 KB
    Damn. I'm certainly impressed. Thanks for getting that shot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/detroitmi97/5847546462/ There is one My night pictures of the building.It sickens me that we still tare down buildings in detroit. Tareing down a building dose NOT get rid of your problems! There Were poeple Wanting to save this building, look at the book cadillac look at how the area around that has changed, what would of happend to the area around it, It would been a Base for redevelopment and development.

Here we go again...
    Name:  DSC_0502.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  43.6 KB
    The reason for the cloud is becuase it was literally full of steam and hot mist in there.

could they have a new football stadium that is properly sized? maybe create a dome with alumni donors? convert the other field to something else..

Default Cass Tech June 22, 2011

Taken today...such a beautiful rainbow!!!!

Name:  cass.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  35.6 KB
    Last edited by MidTownMs; June-22-11 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Taken today...such a beautiful rainbow!!!!

Name:  cass.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  35.6 KB
    I was just going to link to my photo you just posted. Thanks for saving me the effort.

can anyone get an update picture up?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast