Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Yes, Good job Ray! That post got me thinking about Jjaba and his post's of days gone by!

Isn't that video about 4 years old?

I don't worry so much about guys with good cars that can go fast. I worry about idiots that don't take care of their cars and still drive on the road with no regard to others. Or the clowns that won't give way in the left lane while they do 55 mph.

Who here hasn't been passed by a rusted out hulk doing 70 with two spacesaver spares on it?
    Last edited by BagAJellyDonuts; November-30-10 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I'll have to watch it more thoroughly again, but I fail to see where they endangered anyone. Their cars were always under absolute control, and both vehicles were being piloted by people who know how to drive at those speeds.

NO ONE is ever under "absolute control" of a vehicle at high speeds. Professional driver or not, at these speeds any mistake, mechanical failure or unexpected reaction from another driver could be tragic.

I don't care if someone wants to risk their own life, but doing this on a public road full of innocent drivers and their children shows complete disregard for the lives of others. THESE GUYS ARE COMPLETE ASSHOLES!
    Last edited by Johnnny5; November-30-10 at 07:29 PM.

The title says 160 MPH. They were going fast but no way was that 160 MPH. Either that or they slowed down the video for some reason. 160 MPH looks about twice as panicked as that.
    Last edited by Jimaz; November-30-10 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    This reminds me of the group of kids on motorcycles that I saw flying up I-75 a few times over the summer. They had to be doing 120+ riding in between cars. Really scary and dangerous. I called the state police and they said they know all about these guys.
    I know one of the riders, they can do Toledo to Detroit in 20 minutes. Too fast for me.

Anyone who has ever had a friend or family member die or get seriously injured in a car wreck knows that this shit is nothing to play around with unless you're on a track. It's all fun and games until someone's been decapitated, or worst yet, had their face mangled, lost a limb, and has to live like that for the rest of their lives. It's no joke.
    Last edited by BrushStart; November-30-10 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodwardboy View Post
    That's why the slow people need to stay in the right lane. Yield to the right for faster moving vehicles.
    I'm not disagreeing with you, but driving is dangerous even when people are being responsible. Even though Camillo is probably an excellent driver, his excessive speed is a wild card variable. Even people in the fast lane are not likely to be going 160+ mph. It is reasonable for other drivers to expect someone passing to be going 80, maybe even 85 mph, so they will react accordingly, but 160 puts other drivers in a state of panic and one slip up by anyone, or even an unexpected event like a dog in the road could cause massive body count.
    Last edited by BrushStart; November-30-10 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodwardboy View Post
    That's why the slow people need to stay in the right lane. Yield to the right for faster moving vehicles.
    How about that's why moronic idiots with a death wish ought stay off the road.

I remember this was posted here on DYES several years ago. I was looking for this video.

Sad to think in some of those vehicles are young children. People never think about this risks they put on others, only themselves.

I'll have to watch it more thoroughly again, but I fail to see where they endangered anyone. Their cars were always under absolute control, and both vehicles were being piloted by people who know how to drive at those speeds.
    Im scared of two thing, Gannons monkey shoes and his passenger seat.

Only you Gannon, only you. LOL

Might be older vid, new to me though, and pretty intense.
    I always think of guys doing this as young 20-somethings,
    not 'older' wealthy ones, which they must be.
    Lucky nobody got killed...

Geez, just read that page 'til the end. It MIGHT'VE been a Mercedes, with the audio dubbed. Seems like a TON of work...for a short film.
    The car guys I've talked to who like the film said the main reason people think it's a Mercedes is the bumper on the Ferrari wouldn't be structurally sound to hold a camera rig steady without some heavy modification - which most any Ferrari owner would be adverse to. The Benz had a nice, big steel bumper - along with anti-lock breaks, which would be handy filming something like this.

ok.. these guys are much less reckless than the dumbshit on his or her cellphone. not paying attention to what they're doing. that's the thing, most of these "streetracers" are paying 100% attention to what they are doing.. that can hardly be said for anyone, even I find that I zone out when i'm driving home after work...

i had an article that i can't find... but it basically said that the average commuter going 10 - 2mph over the limit, who is smoking, drinking a coffee and switching though the radio stations is 1000times more prone to causing an accident than a street racer.

i also agree with BagAJellyDonuts.. i see some dickhole going 70mph in a total POS riding on spares, layin way back in his seat with the radio cranked... id much rather deal with the odd street racer than those tards
    Last edited by windsor_shane; November-30-10 at 08:55 PM.

DetroitDad Guest

I can do really rad tricks with my dishwasher, like making it burb up bubbles by filling it with hand wash only deterregent.

But I don't.

Why people need to treat expensive machinery as extensions of themselves instead of what they actually are, appliances, is beyond me. I would say this is an unusual wreckless driving incident, given that they were driving reckless at those speeds, and didn't create a wreck.

Cross post this to "Suburbs are Unsustainable" thread.

a ford focus is an appliance.. those cars are not

that said... highways are made for speed... why we build these things like race tracks and then wonder why people treat them in that fashion is beyond me... don't want people to speed like that in the city? then don't build highways in the city, street racers used to go out to the country streets to race

Toolbox Guest

Ever lose a tire at 120? I have it's not fun, the car goes away quick. Would never want to have that happen on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
    Ever lose a tire at 120? I have it's not fun, the car goes away quick. Would never want to have that happen on the street.
    Absolutely. Do not try this without Z rated tires. Good tip.

Reminds me of the crack casualty I saw getting on the EB Ford a couple years ago at VanDyke. He had that beat up Olds doing 80 at the bottom of the 50 foot on-ramp, veered in and out of traffic till he got to the Conner exit, where he ran up the embankment onto the grass and into oncoming SB traffic.

I figured he just played a few rounds of Grand Turismo 4, while throwin' back a few 40's and hit the pipe before he stumbled his way to the Cutlass.

Quote Originally Posted by windsor_shane View Post
    ok.. these guys are much less reckless than the dumbshit on his or her cellphone. not paying attention to what they're doing. that's the thing, most of these "streetracers" are paying 100% attention to what they are doing.. that can hardly be said for anyone, even I find that I zone out when i'm driving home after work...

i had an article that i can't find... but it basically said that the average commuter going 10 - 2mph over the limit, who is smoking, drinking a coffee and switching though the radio stations is 1000times more prone to causing an accident than a street racer.

i also agree with BagAJellyDonuts.. i see some dickhole going 70mph in a total POS riding on spares, layin way back in his seat with the radio cranked... id much rather deal with the odd street racer than those tards
    So people and cars are 100% perfect then? Stupid people talking on cell phones leads to accidents. Stupid people driving too fast leads to accidents. We all screw up at some point, but at least I can admit the times I've driven over the speed limit it's unsafe and risky driving.
    Last edited by wolverine; December-01-10 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    The title says 160 MPH. They were going fast but no way was that 160 MPH. Either that or they slowed down the video for some reason. 160 MPH looks about twice as panicked as that.
    They might have peaked at 160, but most was probably 100-120. I have an Evo and there were only a couple times when the scenery in that video passed faster than what I've experienced in my car. The thing I noticed was the acceleration. Those two cars could break away from anything once they get a stretch of open road.

Too bad the Vette needed gas. I'm sure the speeds in the video are nothing compared to what they did on I-94 west of Telegraph.

DetroitPole Guest

The beauty of living in a free society is that idiots can express their opinions freely but they will still be absolutely inconsequential and have no impact on the rule of law. Make the outlandish claim that someone driving a car at twice the posted speed limit on Michigan roads is safer than driving while talking on a cell phone or driving an older vehicle? Professional driver? What the hell does that mean? Go ahead, believe what you will, but the law is still the law. These wreckless assholes will hopefully be busted before they hurt someone.

Anyone who feels the need to drive a car like that that fast for no reason is clearly compensating for something else.

Sometimes I'll do 100. I drive a tiny Volks, and every few days I'll run it up in the left lane, passing traffic until I realize I'm passing people doing 90 in the center lane and I'll slow it back down and get in the center lane. It's kind of an optical illusion, and I'm sure I'll pay dearly [[hopefully, in tickets) for it someday.

That said, one time I was getting off the Davison and onto I-75 when two cars raced past me, one on my left, one on the safety space on my right, tearing off onto where the ramp divides, missing the concrete by inches apparently. What a race! And I was right in the middle of it all. I coulda been smeared though. My immediate reaction, though, was that these drivers were really hot shit. Hahaha.

You just reminded me of an LA story...I used to pull off Mulholland at the scenic overlook peering down on Universal CityWalk on my way home from work. One day I heard an amazing sound, like F1 or GTU/O racers. Turned around to catch two Fiat X1/9s in full race form, one painted all red the other all blue, screaming around the corner...away from the 101 towards Laurel Canyon. In rush hour.

They apparently got there and turned around, because not a few minutes later they went raging back towards the 101...downhill on one of the most fun driving roads ever built.

This is a scale model of Detroit driving. Screaming speed and traffic backups.
    http://www.wimp.com/hotwheels/

detroitpole.. whos to say what is a dangerous speed? different people with different abilites can safely control a vehicle at different speeds and in different conditions.. for example. some people shouldn't even be on the highway at all... they cannot operate their vehicle safely at any speed. my younger brother is a great example. my cousin on the other hand, who is a professional truck driver and an amateur race car driver, im sure even 100mph is safe for his skill level.

so ya, just because the law exists.. doesn't make something safe or not safe.
    ask yourself this. would you rather be in the car with a 16yr old who has never been on a busy highway traveling at 70mph or with an experienced driver at 100mph? one is breaking the law, one isnt... id feel much safer in the car of the one who is breaking the law!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast