Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    definitely a sad situation, hope the injured parties get better.. I wonder if Eastland ends up having metal detectors, will some folks end up 'protesting' because of 'racism'?
    Metal detectors! How uninviting and depressing that will be.

I'm surprised with the number of legal CCW gun carrying people in the area that someone didn't take out the shooter, would have solved the problem and possibly sent a message.....

Wonder how long it takes before GPW and SCS start seeing more crime and shit like this happning??

That would be even worse. Unless someone was standing right next to the active shooter, a gunfight in a crowded mall would be a bloodbath.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    I'm surprised with the number of legal CCW gun carrying people in the area that someone didn't take out the shooter, would have solved the problem and possibly sent a message.....

^^^Because carrying doesn't protect and make you safe. The facts are proven.^^^

I had always thought that a combined Mall/Municipal center would be good for Eastland and Northland. Especially Northland. Police, Fire, and EMS could lease spaces at the edge of the malls. The mall could be multipurpose with shopping still in the building. Police and firemen could walk around to the food court which could be a distant from the area where Municpal Center would be. That way law enforcers would be walking back and forth through the mall. Their presence could curtail some of the crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Wonder how long it takes before GPW and SCS start seeing more crime and shit like this happning??
    In about 10 years or so. Don't you just love the RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS amendment. Now we can put people out of their misery by the sword and the gun.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Because weapons are the peacemakers for mankind.

Neda, I miss you so.
    Last edited by Danny; December-01-10 at 08:02 AM.

I have been in southern St Clair Shores for the last 15 yrs and can't believe how close its gotten in the last few yrs!! I wanted to move to Grosse pointe but also worry if that harper woods crime and city decline will spread to that city also. Plain and simple I want my house to be an investment I may go farther north

I'd like to chip in with my 2 cents. I usually just read threads, but I've lived in Harper Woods for over 30 years and have been visiting Eastland since it became an indoor mall.

Rather than echo a lot of the good and not so good comments made,

Concerning the city: Harper Woods is NOT a ghetto. It's a little over dramatic to say that. Crime has risen, yes, but the police force is prompt, there are no urban prairies, no cars on blocks, no burned down vacant houses, parks are kept up, and city government is still very relevant. Go east of Morang-north of I-94, or east of Alter Rd. in GPP. THAT is a ghetto.

Crime levels, specifically are a mixed bag. Violent crimes have gone up [[Eastland being, and always has been a big contributer), but in the past 5 years, property crimes have gone down. A shining stat is car theft which has decreased by almost half. Larceny and theft have also decreased.

Concerning Eastland itself, I actually was coincidentally in the mall the day of the shooting. [[Not the time of). I generally don't visit because there are no stores left for my interests. A lot of shoe stores and clothing stores that mostly cater to the African American population on the east side, along with fast food joints which I don't frequent, make Eastland almost irrelevant to me.

For those who think Eastland was a paradise 10, 20 years ago, don't fool yourself. I used to be friends with the old police chief, Gary Ford, and heard a lot about what happened there in the 80s and 90s. Child abductions, gang fights, pickpocketing, mugging were a constant issue back then. I realize that a cold-blooded gun murder really puts a punctuation on it, but Eastland, much like Mos Eisley has been "a wretched hive of scum and villainry" for YEARS. I don't have stats to back this up, but talking to friends in Troy with an inside track, say petty crime and car thefts [[which is most likely to effect us) are much worse at Sommerset Mall. Crime follows the money, and there sure isn't much in comparison at Eastland.

You can't downplay the threat of gangs and wanting to protect yourself and your family. It's a two way street however, and the vacancies of people and stores leaving Eastland has partially created this void. I'd like to think that an abundance of people would suppress much of the gang activity, but the place is generally a ghost town.

Its a pretty depressing visit when you see the blank white panels that used to have Kresge's, Crowley's, Sander's, Tinder Box, Circus World, Herman's, Olga's, B Dalton Books, etc.. Baker's and Hot Sam Pretzel are still there. I do like having two home improvement centers in walking distance.

Another Eastland Mall shooting today:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/e...nside/32919960

Must be black folks from Detroit donning their Trayvon Martins doing rob and shoot. Eastland Mall is doomed. Close the place down!

Last time I shopped at Eastland, about a dozen kids wearing gold chains were moving in a group, taunting employees in the stores, calling them chumps for working there. I was surprised that this went on for fifteen minutes, unchallenged, before I left.

Quote Originally Posted by ddaydetroit View Post
    I have been in southern St Clair Shores for the last 15 yrs and can't believe how close its gotten in the last few yrs!! I wanted to move to Grosse pointe but also worry if that harper woods crime and city decline will spread to that city also. Plain and simple I want my house to be an investment I may go farther north

Harper Woods is going ghetto anyway! And so is Grosse Pointe Woods. Going further north to greener pastures will not do. Crime happens everywhere.

I think by next years Macy's in Eastland Mall will close followed by Target.

Less of a problem at Fairlane. As a rule I avoid malls with teens at full tilt [[weekends, evenings). I go early and never on Saturday evenings. I prefer out-facing strip malls like the Hill in Allen Park: you drive by your store, go in, walk to the next retailer. Done. Drive across the lot to the big box store. Done. Less crowded walk ways and zero over-hangs of rude, cursing folk [[as sometimes occurs at Fairlane).

Though I saw a near fist fight between adults on the Hill last year over a parking spot; parking is pretty horrid there. Basic civility seems to be circling the drain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Last time I shopped at Eastland, about a dozen kids wearing gold chains were moving in a group, taunting employees in the stores, calling them chumps for working there. I was surprised that this went on for fifteen minutes, unchallenged, before I left.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-10-15 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I think by next years Macy's in Eastland Mall will close followed by Target.
    May not be a bad guess with respect to Macy's, although a lot of Grosse Pointers still shop there.

As far as Target, I doubt it.
    Last edited by 313WX; May-10-15 at 06:40 PM.

I am glad this is not a problem at Southland.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Well Southland doesn't directly border Detroit either, which is the major difference.

These threads read almost exactly the same. Nothing to do but grab some popcorn and watch the show.

The thing I'm wondering about is does Eastland even have any security? At least some security cameras where it would be easy to identify the perps? Seems like mall management just doesn't care or doesn't have the resources.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    May not be a bad guess with respect to Macy's, although a lot of Grosse Pointers still shop there.

As far as Target, I doubt it.
    The department stores don't seem affected by what goes on inside the mall lobbies. I still see plenty of mixed faces shopping at that Target but less so within the interiors of the mall itself.

For one, I actually see security and plenty of cameras inside the department stores which seems to make a difference.

^^^ Yes, the halls and lobbies are part and parcel of the traditional enclosed mall, and that's where you get congregants who may have had not intention of making purchase. Some just come to hang-out which is why most malls ban teens and children during school hours.

Have a more gun carrying security patrolling the halls of the mall with a heavy presence. Authorities should not be soft on the perps when the perps are caught.
    And when one of these security guards shoots a young man, then all hell will break loose a'la Ferguson, New York or Baltimore.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Northland and Eastland to two mall near 8 Mile Rd. Just a kiddie corner from Detroit's ghetto-ized black community. More black folks shop there and set their businesses there and more trouble makers did their rob and shootings there.

Southland and Westland are two malls that are far, far away from Detroit. There in the piece and quite white communities. White folks shop there, White kids hang out there like mall rats on weekends and new stores rather than ghetto marts are being set up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Northland and Eastland to two mall near 8 Mile Rd. Just a kiddie corner from Detroit's ghetto-ized black community. More black folks shop there and set their businesses there and more trouble makers did their rob and shootings there.

Southland and Westland are two malls that are far, far away from Detroit. There in the piece and quite white communities. White folks shop there, White kids hang out there like mall rats on weekends and new stores rather than ghetto marts are being set up there.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ dafuq

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast