Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: John R.

When I live there [[early/mid 70's-early 80's) it was mostly Arab-American west of John R, mostly African-American east of John R.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimg View Post
    Terryh, the address is 114 Erskine at the Southwest corner of John R.
    Ill check it out, maybe snap a pic or two..thanks...

My grandmother had a 2 family on West Nevada. She spent a lot of money at Firestone Tire at John R and Nevada. I remember many family dinners at Vincenzo's. In the early 80's I hung out at The Rainbow, Ted's Bar, and Ted's on the Park Restaurant after 2:00 am.
    When I was little, someone took me into a bar on John R, and I think something bad happened to me there. We don't know who took me, but it might have been the guy who rented a room in the basement at my grandmothers house. I had nightmares for years about that place. [[We eventually moved to the 'burbs in 1969, and never got down to John R when visiting my Grandmother). In the 80's, I moved into my Grandmothers house when my brother bought it from her. I met a guy and we were dating. One day we were driving down John R, and I saw the bar from my dreams. All boarded up. It was "The Malabar". If anyone has ever been there, can you please tell me what it was like when you walked through the front door? Was there a stage, where was the bar, and specifically, where were the bathrooms? I remember someone holding my hand and taking me to the bathroom. Thanks so much.
    Last edited by JulianaMoon; March-23-17 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Grammar mistake

Centerfold Lounge and the Rathskeller does it for me when I'm in town.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2