Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hybrid View

Looked for stinky bus station in Google maps, couldnt find it. Who was this Stinky fella they named it for. Couldnt find a mr Stinky to stick it to... I had a few strong beer, I shall retire. Bonne Nuit Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    Two design failures then? Not enough bathrooms and not adequate enough to handle the load[[no pun intended). I see no reason why the restrooms at Rosa Parks TC were not built to the same scale as rest areas on the interstate. It should have been fairly obvious that this would become Downtown Detroit's central restroom. I rather the city maintain a large public restroom with my tax dollars then deal with stepping on human feces on the streets or having the unfortunate experience of witnessing someone take a crap in public, again.
    Why would the answer to the problem be MORE bathrooms? They can't keep what is there from becoming a bio hazard. Regardless of what you'd like them to maintian, they clearly can't manage what they have.

I don't know what to find more sad. That the bus station is the only public restroom in the CBD of a city of 900k, the local populace that used it can't seem to manage to do so without smearing shit on the walls, or the fact that something as simple as providing janitorial services in a 22.5 million dollar brand new bus terminal is outside the ability of DDOT.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I don't know what to find more sad. That the bus station is the only public restroom in the CBD of a city of 900k, the local populace that used it can't seem to manage to do so without smearing shit on the walls, or the fact that something as simple as providing janitorial services in a 22.5 million dollar brand new bus terminal is outside the ability of DDOT.
    It's not at all funny, but I laughed hard reading your post.

Why would the answer to the problem be MORE bathrooms?
    Because we rather obviously have more people in need of a bathroom than we have bathrooms. We may be able to change the number of bathrooms and the way in which they are maintained, but we absolutely certainly can't change people's need for them.

Why would the answer to the problem be MORE bathrooms? They can't keep what is there from becoming a bio hazard. Regardless of what you'd like them to maintian, they clearly can't manage what they have.
    If your gonna run a public bathroom, it's needs to be large enough to handle the demand, or you run into problems like this. Maintenance is less of an issue over simple capacity planning.

Mass transit,light rail,stinky terminal.I am not,repeat not going to use it.They can "piss" away money on "fecalbility" studies all day.Until Detroit gets its collective head out of its third world ass,I'll drive or walk.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycar View Post
    Mass transit,light rail,stinky terminal.I am not,repeat not going to use it.They can "piss" away money on "fecalbility" studies all day.Until Detroit gets its collective head out of its third world ass,I'll drive or walk.
    Damn. I guess the Detroit area will just have to build a system for the 4,999,999 other people who live there.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Damn. I guess the Detroit area will just have to build a system for the 4,999,999 other people who live there.
    Go right ahead.Don't maintain,clean or patrol it and will look like shit a short time.

My theory:
    In 2006, some crazy homeless person snuck into the movie theatre to see the "Pursuit of Happyness." He watches as Chris Gardner, played by Will Smith, sleeps in the public bathroom only to become a millionaire at the end of the movie. The legend of the Homeless Public Bathroom Living Millionaire spreads through the homeless community, and the homeless throughout the city battle to live in the bus station restrooms.

I say we blame Hollywood and the liberal media...

detroitjim Guest

Lovevett Williams, director of the city Department of Transportation, said cleaning crews work from 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.
    I think she means that they are on the clock from 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.

There is no way that anyone is cleaning the place for that period of time.

They might actually clean once per eight hour shift for ten or fifteen minutes.

DetroitDad Guest

I'm not defending the city here, but why would anyone expect a bathroom at a bus station to be much above one at a smelly gas station or motorway truck stop?

A teacher told this story once. He taught at a local community college. The assignment was to write a daily log. A kid wrote that he bought a "shit" in Hamtramck for a buck. The teacher wrote in the margin, it's only a dime at the Greyhound. The kid didn't get the joke.

I had posted on this site last year that this was going to happen. You can't control the type of people who goes into those restrooms. The homeless could be the one who leaves the restrooms tidy and people who are just passing through catching the bus or other people could be the ones clogging the toilets. I had thought that it was a bad idea to construct that type of terminal anyway knowing that the crowd that hung around Capital Park would migrated at the terminal.Unless there is a master plan for the terminal such as regional busses pulling out of there. I could see regional money being used for security and upkeep. I had thought that the new terminal should had been similar to the one built at Cadillac Square in 1985; an enclosed area with heated lights in the ceiling above.Was that terminal torn down to make room for Campus Martius? I don't know why the Kilpatricks had chosen that area to build the transit center and did the city planners not think that there would be a problem of vagrancy, drug dealing, neglected restrooms, and a falling economy before the terminal was constructed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2