Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Different meanings get attached to individual acts but public suicides carry a message, often of feeling powerless or abandoned. I remember hearing a survivor of a Golden Gate jump saying that he had decided that if a single person stopped to talk to him on the bridge that day or tried to intervene at all he wouldn't have jumped, but no one did.

found this article online yesterday, too
    I bet it happens a lot. I heard so many people jump off the Golden Gate bridge that the papers don't even report them. I bet that happens here as well, but because he tied up traffic it got to be more public than folks wanted.

I hope they kick that guys ass.

Retroit Guest

I found it odd that the television news continually referred to this as a "police situation" as if not to make it even more obvious that it was a suicide attempt. I began to wonder: why the censorship of this incident [[threatening drivers by throwing your 180lb. body onto their car traveling at 70mph) and not other incidents [[hostage situation, bomb threat, rape, murder, discovery of dead body, etc.)?

Have we entered a new era where people are too sensitive for reality? Is it not okay to give a suicidal person publicity but okay to grant it to others?

Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    I found it odd that the television news continually referred to this as a "police situation" as if not to make it even more obvious that it was a suicide attempt. I began to wonder: why the censorship of this incident [[threatening drivers by throwing your 180lb. body onto their car traveling at 70mph) and not other incidents [[hostage situation, bomb threat, rape, murder, discovery of dead body, etc.)?

Have we entered a new era where people are too sensitive for reality? Is it not okay to give a suicidal person publicity but okay to grant it to others?

Am I missing something?
    I think they were trying to keep people away from the scene..but to my dismay when i drove by on my way home [[not by choice but because i had to go that way to get home) there were 300+ people some of them with picnic blankets and video cameras and most disturbing some with kids sitting/standing around watching this man..who does that?? IMO its the worst parenting i have seen what if he would have jumped? This is real life not some movie and subjecting your kids to that is freaking sick. This man has a family and children and someone somewhere loves this man and yet there were all these people lined up gawking at the man no doubt some of them wished he would jump so they could see it. I lost a little faith in humanity yesterday

I live right at 75 and 696, and I was hearing the copter circling around. Its great living someplace with immediate, quick freeway access. But the downside is that those choppers can sometimes be unsettling.

I'm glad this guy is alright, but with the inconvenience that he put everyone through he better do something productive with his life. After being stuck in that traffic jam if he just turns to booze and ends up in the gutter I'm gonna be pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    I think they were trying to keep people away from the scene..but to my dismay when i drove by on my way home [[not by choice but because i had to go that way to get home) there were 300+ people some of them with picnic blankets and video cameras and most disturbing some with kids sitting/standing around watching this man..who does that?? IMO its the worst parenting i have seen what if he would have jumped? This is real life not some movie and subjecting your kids to that is freaking sick. This man has a family and children and someone somewhere loves this man and yet there were all these people lined up gawking at the man no doubt some of them wished he would jump so they could see it. I lost a little faith in humanity yesterday
    I just think its the nature of people . According to the history books public executions/lynchings were attended by the townspeople and some just made it into a family outing. People can't resist watching "train wrecks"

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I just think its the nature of people . According to the history books public executions/lynchings were attended by the townspeople and some just made it into a family outing. People can't resist watching "train wrecks"
    I thought of that last night when i was going thru the crowds...i just cant accept it though. It was just disgusting. To watch another human being going through that like it was the some sick reality show is too much for me and to subject your kids to that is irresponsible at best

Retroit Guest

I think they were trying to keep people away from the scene..
    I think that by not being up front, they only aroused the curiosity of people. They could have said that "there is a suicide attempt in progress, but police are asking that everyone stay away from the area."

Maybe some of the people watching didn't realize what they were watching. It should have been obvious, but people can be clueless.

I can't believe this actually makes the paper.

http://freep.com/article/20090507/NE...after+shutdown

A few days ago a man was shot in the 10th precinct while mowing lawn. He wasn't mowing his lawn, he wasn't mowing a neighbors lawn for money, he was mowing the neighborhood lawns. He was the type of neighbor most anybody would be proud to have. Each year I'm told the guy mowed a little more, just to keep the otherwise rundown area looking a bit better. According to witnesses, he was known as "Captain Safety" around the hood, as he was always looking out for people. Recently, he confronted a group stripping an auto a few blocks away. So, while out mowing, some punk 16-17 years old comes up and confronts him, then apparently shoots him in the back of the head. I'm told the guy is paralyzed from the neck down. What does the paper cover? Some dipshit who doesn't even make it onto 696, but simply jumps a fence and starts down a grassy hill and proceeds to get arrested for disorderly. What's a matter, no cats stuck up in a tree to report on?

I find it troubling what is considered news by the media....or perhaps it's more of what sells papers, placing the blame on the consumers/readers would probably be more accurate. For all the bad that happens in Detroit, there is also a lot of good, I see it every day. Yet the positive stories we read about in the papers and watch on the nightly news are few and far between. What if all the positive stories, ran on a daily basis, were put on the front page? What if the homicides that took the life of a human being taht contributes to society, not some piece of shit caught up in drug trafficing or gangs, were focused on by the media? Would it change the way we percieve our daily lives, or even who others view Detroit? Probably not. Paper sales would likely decline and people would simply turn the channel.

This morning, Jackie Paige, the big hair trafficlady on Fox actually stated "We generally DO NOT REPORT incidents of this type", but because of the traffic problem that resulted it was a news item.

So if you get your pistol and blow your freakin brains out, that doesnt warrant any coverage.

Intereresting.

sad doings ....generally his cry for help ...was inconvience for many ...but his life saved is still worth the inconvience...maybe he will get the help he needs to rebuild his life...how many more are waiting in line becuase of life's hardships...generally there is more going on in people's brain than the specific tipping point which only what we see...his attempt to get help sure beats those who go on killing sprees or have a poor police officer facilitate suicide by cop...with all the uncertainity in life we need more mental health options for folks..but many have a difficult time accessing the services...in the end he is a human being first...and an incovience second

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    I think that by not being up front, they only aroused the curiosity of people. They could have said that "there is a suicide attempt in progress, but police are asking that everyone stay away from the area."

Maybe some of the people watching didn't realize what they were watching. It should have been obvious, but people can be clueless.
    I know there are a whole helluva lot of morons out there, but if you see some guy standing on the outside of a fence on a freeway bridge during rush hour, with the police all around him, you've got to know it's probably some suicide attempt and not another David Blaine stunt. And if there are that many morons out there. Lord help us....

Quote Originally Posted by gibran View Post
    ...his attempt to get help sure beats those who go on killing sprees or have a poor police officer facilitate suicide by cop...
    I beg to differ. His actions are exactly the same as someone who tries suicide by cop or goes on a killing spree. The only difference is someone intervened in this case. Suicide by jumping off a bridge to consequently get hit\run over by some unsuspecting mother driving her children to afternoon kindergarten class is ok compared to suicide by cop or killing other people then offing yourself?

from my understanding that they had sealed off the area..of course if there were cars traveling and he jumped and killed someone that would be different...but he didn't do it spontanously and thus maybe wanted someone to help him.

A high school kid jumped off that same bridge about 4 or 5 years ago and landed in the middle of traffic
    I remember that story. As I remember, that kid lived.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2